September 2014 Moms

Starting lanolin before baby is born?

Hey ladies,
I've seen a few recommendations for starting lanolin on the nipples even before baby gets here to get them nice and soft and healthy before the constant, constant sucking starts.

Just curious if any moms who are planning to bf are starting early, and if so when, or if you're waiting til baby gets here?
It's just so messy and breast pads are a pain, but wondering if it would be helpful.
Thanks!

Re: Starting lanolin before baby is born?

• I don't think it would hurt to apply lanolin, you aren't messing with them just basically putting on lotion. But lanolin stains, just FYI. Just so you take that into consideration.
    image        image
  • edited August 2014
    Don't mess with your nipples!!!! Nipple stimulation can induce labor. Leave the nips alone.
    Totally not talking about stimulation!! I'm talking about just applying the cream. I had bad cracks last time so thought this could help. Pretty sure 2 seconds of rubbing won't induce labour, haha.

• Loading the player...
  • I've been using it because mine were already getting agitated. I just use a little after I shower at night.
    Team Blue!!!
    Due Sept. 2nd
  • I did with my first. I can't say whether or not it made a difference but we nursed beyond 2.. So it couldn't hurt. I haven't been doing anything this time mostly out of laziness.
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I've been using it because they've been dry and irritating me
  • I did early last time. I just got some lanolin this weekend so I'm going to start putting it on this week I guess. Can't hurt!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't just bc you want them to be able to handle a potentially crazy assault once LO gets to them lol. With DS we went through several weeks where I had scabbed, bleeding nips. I wouldn't want to soften them up cause it seems like it would make a situation like that worse. I've only heard about people trying to roughen their nips in preparation.
    imageimage
  • fernane said:
    I wouldn't just bc you want them to be able to handle a potentially crazy assault once LO gets to them lol. With DS we went through several weeks where I had scabbed, bleeding nips. I wouldn't want to soften them up cause it seems like it would make a situation like that worse. I've only heard about people trying to roughen their nips in preparation.
    This doesn't make sense. It's like saying you wouldn't put lotion on your hands in the winter before they crack and bleed because you want to toughen them up for the cold. Moisturizing before it gets to that stage should help, not hinder.

OP, I hadn't thought about doing this, but I think I may start before she's born. My nips are already dry and tender, and what can it hurt.

• fernane said:
    I wouldn't just bc you want them to be able to handle a potentially crazy assault once LO gets to them lol. With DS we went through several weeks where I had scabbed, bleeding nips. I wouldn't want to soften them up cause it seems like it would make a situation like that worse. I've only heard about people trying to roughen their nips in preparation.
    This doesn't make sense. It's like saying you wouldn't put lotion on your hands in the winter before they crack and bleed because you want to toughen them up for the cold. Moisturizing before it gets to that stage should help, not hinder.

OP, I hadn't thought about doing this, but I think I may start before she's born. My nips are already dry and tender, and what can it hurt.

No, it's more like you wouldn't pamper and tenderize your hands before learning to play guitar. It will cause callouses and your fingers will hurt until that happens. Same with nipples. If they're all sensitive it will just hinder getting acclimated to BFing cause they're not gonna stay that way!
    imageimage
  • fernane said:
    fernane said:

No, it's more like you wouldn't pamper and tenderize your hands before learning to play guitar. It will cause callouses and your fingers will hurt until that happens. Same with nipples. If they're all sensitive it will just hinder getting acclimated to BFing cause they're not gonna stay that way!
    I don't see how moisturizing = making sensitive. Dry and cracked skin heals when you moisturize it. Why would you just wait it out hoping your nips would "callous up"?

• I had to start 2 months ago - because of growth and leakage (lol) I was getting dry and cracked already.  My OB said that the only way nipple stimulation can induce labor is if your are seriously rough or tugging (which some women try to "acclimate" their nips for breastfeeding btu I would NOT recommend).  I am on my second pregnancy and had to start lanolin by 7 months both times.  No harm - just be sure to use nursing pads as a previous comment was right about staining.  Good luck mama!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"