April 2015 Moms
Options

RN 12 hour shift anticipating morning sickness !!

Hi! This is my 2nd pregnancy first baby hopefully. I am 5 weeks 2 days and from what I hear the morning sickness is coming soon!! I work 12 hour shifts and barely get a break for lunch/dinner... And I always am dealing with certain... smells... I was wondering if anyone else was dealing with a similar situation you do not have to be an RN to appreciate this situation or help me out. Thanks !!!! :-S

Re: RN 12 hour shift anticipating morning sickness !!

• Options
    I'm a manager at a restaurant and I barely make it through my shorter 9 hour shifts so I don't know I'm going to manage 11 tonight without falling asleep! My nose has been smelling everything though so being in a kitchen all day isn't helping with the nausea!
  • Options
    I start teaching in about a week and a half. I don't know what I am going to do when I have a classroom full of kids and it comes on. I don't want to tell any co-workers I am pregnant until I have to. Maybe I will have to confide in the teacher whose room is next to mine so she could come stand watch from the door.
    Baby #1: EDD:  5/31/08   DD born sleeping due to severe preeclampsia at 22 weeks 1/26/08
    Baby #2: EDD:  4/28/09   DS#1
    Baby #3: EDD:  5/26/11   DS#2
    Baby #4  EDD:  4/1/2015 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work in a hospital too as an MRI Tech, long shifts too. I totally feel you on the "smells" thing..with my first DS I worked up until 5 days before he was born. You can do it!!
  • Options
    I'm a lvn and 5 weeks I literally deep breathe before going in and try to get on and out. I always carry saltines, ginger ale andthings I can keep with me these 12 hr shifts are no joke being pregnant, my struggle is staying awake after 4 am and all the smells. My sense of smell unfortunately lasts my whole pregnancies so it's gonna be a loooooong 9 months ! Good luck ps Vicks usually helps a bit
  • Options
    Thank you all very much ladies lots of helpful info. At least I know I won't be alone [-O<
  • Options
    I was kind of worried about being back in my classroom too. I teach kindergarten can't exactly leave them alone if I need to get sick. We have a bathroom in our room but I think the smell of that would make it 100x worse!
  • Options
    I haven't experienced this yet but I'm in the ER so I assume it's a ticking time bomb. Not sure if it will help but I've been keeping snacks like trail mix in my pocket to make sure my stomach is at least settled throughout the day.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. I work in ICU, 12 hours, lots of days with no break. I survived my last shift with ginger ale & preggie pops! I also bought sea bands which use acupressure to help with nausea but I won't wear them to work bc I don't want my secret to get out just yet.
  • Options
    Have strong mints like altoids or something available when you are changing colostomy bags or getting a sample.
    I was in a nursing home last time around and this helped, as did keeping crackers around to help keep that at bay, small snacks.  And lots of fluids.
    This time I'm in a hospital in postpartum.
    Fortunatley your body is already used to 12hrs so it shouldn't be as bad.
    imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"