August 2014 Moms
Options

Air conditioning ? (especially STM)

It looks like we are going to have to replace our AC and it really would make things tight financially for us. Ideally I would wait until the end of my maternity leave to see if we have the money, but by that time we won't need AC anymore. I do live in MI, so it's not like it is absolutely essential here. How bad would it be to have a newborn in August with no AC?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Air conditioning ? (especially STM)

• Options
    We live in MI and we also need to replace our air conditioning!  It is so expensive.  It has not been hot here much at all, but I still need air to sleep.  If you don't, and we don't have a huge heat wave, I think you all will be fine.  Maybe you can get a window unit.
  • Options
    Good to hear from other MI people :) Everyone here is complaining about the mild summer, but I love it. I guess for some reason I was concerned about my newborn getting too hot, but maybe that is not an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like we have lucked out this summer in Michigan! I have air but have not turned it on this summer. I am cheap and will so anything not to turn it on. I do have a window fan. I put this in my window in my bedroom and it really does a great job keeping the room about 5 to 10 degrees cooler! Bonus: it blocks my DHs snoring!
  • Options
    I don't think it'll be an issue.  Lots of people don't have AC in places that are hotter.  Just dress baby in light clothes or do diapers only on hot days.  Be mindful about it and you'll be fine. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options

If needed, could you purchase or borrow a room AC (not a window unit, but a free standing one)?  My parents AC broke and they borrowed one from their friend for a few weeks while their central air was being replaced.  I think they run about $300, but there are cheaper ones.  Then you can just move it from room to room as needed and sell it on ebay/craigslist when you are done with it!  Save the receipt in case you never need to open it.

That is a great idea to buy the wall unit just in case and return if I don't open it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, especially living in MI. Lots of people raise children with no A/C and have for many years. Just adjust their clothes accordingly and you should be fine.
  • Options
    We're in OR and usually have mild summers. It's been in the low 90*s here for a few weeks and we don't have central air at home. We have a portable AC unit that we bought on Craigslist for $100 (they sell them at Costco for $300). We keep it turned on in the living room during the day. Thankfully it cools down at night (most of the time) so once the sun goes down we open all the windows and let the cool air in. Then the next morning we shut everything and turn the AC back on. We sleep with a fan in our room, too.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    If you have to get one you should try Craigslist! Since it's closer to the end of the summer if people did have them for sale they'd probably be willing to drop the price some just to get rid of them. Especially if they've tried to sell it for awhile. Even check the free section, you never know! 
                             imageimageimage
              Emma June 8/22/2014
  • Options
    Post partum hotflashes is all I have to say. You'll want AC or a bunch of fans.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Post partum hotflashes is all I have to say. You'll want AC or a bunch of fans.

This! I was going to say.. you may be worried about baby but you should be worried about yourself! The first night home with my baby girl I woke up with the bed drenched in sweat, and it stays that way for about a week or two while your body flushes out all those hormones.
  • Options
    I hadn't even considered the hot flashes. That portable unit is sounding better and better.
  • Options
    I'm the opposite as everyone else, I'd replace it... but I run my ac from April until the first solid, hard frost because my allergies are so awful. And I hate summer. ;) If you think you can make it through the few days we're bound to have (also in Mi) this month that will be super hot, then I agree wait it out. Like others have said, you could pick up a cheep window unit.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Living in Oklahoma it would not be an option to not replace it! So Jealous of you ladies, but I am not jealous of your winters!
  • Options
    ehpope said:

Living in Oklahoma it would not be an option to not replace it! So Jealous of you ladies, but I am not jealous of your winters!

Haha, having lived in Oklahoma, I'd take the winter over you summer any time. ;). But I've already said I hate summer, so maybe I'm biased.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"