Trying to Get Pregnant

Serious, non-offensive question about all your views on religion & TTC

I've been doing all the dang lurking you ladies suggest, but I've had a question burning in my head for days.  I notice you ladies hate when "god" or any religion for that matter, is brought into the mix of TTC.    But, what's it to you if someone else believe their god has complete control over the TTC process?  I just don't understand why everyone seems to get hot under the collar about it.  Because someone else's religious convictions are not my own, so what someone feels is religiously right for them, has no affect on me.  If they specifically direct it towards me, yeah sure I'll get mad, but otherwise, it's just a *roll eyes* & move on.  I myself am Wiccan, and I believe my free will helps to shape my future (we create our own destiny type of thing) but I also believe my deities have alot of power over my fate.  I don't see it as being cruel b/c my gods are denying me a baby.  I believe my deities have a clearer picture of my future than I do, and if it's not time yet for that baby, there's a reason to it.  We can't control everything, and sometimes when the more control we take, the less things work out.  However, my beliefs do not affect you, simply because they are MY beliefs, not yours.  I'm just being true to myself, to my heart & soul, but that doesn't at all take away from what is true to you.

Anyways, I'm just wondering is all.  I'm not looking to argue, I'm not trying to offend and if I do I'm sorry.

Re: Serious, non-offensive question about all your views on religion & TTC

• Really?  Nice.  But, yep I'm still here.  Because regardless of people telling me this place might not be for me, I'm still choosing to stay.  To see if it is for me.  But thanks for your opinion, great talking to you.
  • Loading the player...
  • PenguinMG said:
    fulkmomma said:

Be nice to each other. I'm sure half of you haven't conceived yet because God wouldn't put a child in the arms of ignorant people like you.

If you cannot see how this is offensive to everyone who reads it then you are not done lurking.
    No, I totally understand that, and if you read my post, I said yeah I would get mad if it's directed towards me, just like that sentence was directed to you ladies.
    I'm talking specifically when someone just says "god willing" or whatever, they are only talking about themselves, not you.
  • We hate when someone is told that they aren't parents because God or that someone has a loss because God. That is belittling and the Bible itself says that God does not dole out punishments like that, so it's a shitty thing to say to someone (other than it being shitty even without that).

Do I think God thought I needed to spend years and have countless hours, months, years of heartbreak and a complete meltdown and spending thousands before he'd give me what I want, but he'll turn around and give DH's piece of shit 20 year old niece a child that she doesn't want, can't afford, and can't take care of even for a day on her own? Hell no. What kind of awful deity does that. Do you also feel that God punishes people by making them poor and rewards them by making them rich?

Oh, and the song I had set to listen to after my IUI? "The God That Failed".

No I don't feel that way at all, and I can totally understand why it's upsetting.  I'm not being an ass, I do get it.  But again, you can feel your way about your beliefs, why can't someone else?  So if they believe their god is cruel to keep a baby away from them, then let them.  But you have your own beliefs, why does someone else's bother so much?
  • PenguinMG said:
    fulkmomma said:

Be nice to each other. I'm sure half of you haven't conceived yet because God wouldn't put a child in the arms of ignorant people like you.

If you cannot see how this is offensive to everyone who reads it then you are not done lurking.
    No, I totally understand that, and if you read my post, I said yeah I would get mad if it's directed towards me, just like that sentence was directed to you ladies.
    I'm talking specifically when someone just says "god willing" or whatever, they are only talking about themselves, not you.
    Oh, you were not.

This isn't the place for you. How fucked up are you that you will stay somewhere that you aren't welcome and do not fit in at all?

Because a bunch of women getting pissy with me isn't going to push me out the door like all the other GBCB newbies.  Because it's a free forum and so far I've done nothing to afford me getting banned, therefore I'm free to stay.  And because I don't agree with judgements that it's not the place for me.
  • Well ok then.  Sorry I dared to ask something yet again.  SMH... I seriously didn't mean it to be confrontational, or offensive.  And it actually doesn't bother me to be flamed.
  • Iris, so from this statement, "We can't control everything, and sometimes when the more control we take, the less things work out.", do you also not believe in medical intervention of any form?  I ask because of things like taking an antibiotic is taking control of your body and helping it fight infection.

I mean, with that statement, how do you achieve anything in life?  How do you decide on anything without taking control of it?

#justcurious
    Yes I absolutely believe in medical intervention, although I'm more into natural alternative methods of healing.  But sometimes even all that doesn't work.  If everything was absolutely our 100% control, then every single one of us would be pregnant.  Noone would ever die.  Noone would ever get sick.  It goes on.  That's my point is it is not 100% in our control.
  • LuluRMLuluRM member
    Noone??
  • I've been doing all the dang lurking you ladies suggest, but I've had a question burning in my head for days.  I notice you ladies hate when "god" or any religion for that matter, is brought into the mix of TTC.    But, what's it to you if someone else believe their god has complete control over the TTC process?  I just don't understand why everyone seems to get hot under the collar about it.  Because someone else's religious convictions are not my own, so what someone feels is religiously right for them, has no affect on me.  If they specifically direct it towards me, yeah sure I'll get mad, but otherwise, it's just a *roll eyes* & move on.  I myself am Wiccan, and I believe my free will helps to shape my future (we create our own destiny type of thing) but I also believe my deities have alot of power over my fate.  I don't see it as being cruel b/c my gods are denying me a baby.  I believe my deities have a clearer picture of my future than I do, and if it's not time yet for that baby, there's a reason to it.  We can't control everything, and sometimes when the more control we take, the less things work out.  However, my beliefs do not affect you, simply because they are MY beliefs, not yours.  I'm just being true to myself, to my heart & soul, but that doesn't at all take away from what is true to you.

Anyways, I'm just wondering is all.  I'm not looking to argue, I'm not trying to offend and if I do I'm sorry.

It seems like this is just a way for you to explain your beliefs to everyone here and goad others into expressing theirs... So I'll be brief.

Faith is fine, and people can believe whatever they want.  But when someone gives a religious explanation to an experience that has occurred for so many, she's basically assuming everyone else subscribes to her faith.  And that's insulting, whether it's directed at a particular person or not. 

And also because science.

Actually that's exactly what I was trying to do, to understand why it's offensive.  Which is why I must be dumb enough to not understand how this is confrontational.  I'm trying to get an understanding of your views, so I can get why it's offensive instead of being on here thinking everyone's getting pissy over nothing.  It's obviously a hurtful point for your ladies and all I wanted to understand was why.  I'm being a human being try to understand another human being.  So, please understand (even if you think I'm a fucking blockhead) I was being genuine.
  • IrisPetalsIrisPetals member
    edited July 2014
    Well you all have given me very good points, so I will do what's best & leave religion out of it.  That's all I wanted to do was understand, which now I do.  I'm not dumb, just b/c my brain does not process stuff the same way you do, does not make me stupid.  I'm not stirring up drama, and I'm genuinely sorry that it did.  I may not ask questions the right way, or word my sentences perfectly to your taste, but I had the best intentions.
  • IrisPetalsIrisPetals member
    edited October 2014
    sister13 said:
    I've been doing all the dang lurking you ladies suggest, but I've had a question burning in my head for days.  I notice you ladies hate when "god" or any religion for that matter, is brought into the mix of TTC.    But, what's it to you if someone else believe their god has complete control over the TTC process?  I just don't understand why everyone seems to get hot under the collar about it.  Because someone else's religious convictions are not my own, so what someone feels is religiously right for them, has no affect on me.  If they specifically direct it towards me, yeah sure I'll get mad, but otherwise, it's just a *roll eyes* & move on.  I myself am Wiccan, and I believe my free will helps to shape my future (we create our own destiny type of thing) but I also believe my deities have alot of power over my fate.  I don't see it as being cruel b/c my gods are denying me a baby.  I believe my deities have a clearer picture of my future than I do, and if it's not time yet for that baby, there's a reason to it.  We can't control everything, and sometimes when the more control we take, the less things work out.  However, my beliefs do not affect you, simply because they are MY beliefs, not yours.  I'm just being true to myself, to my heart & soul, but that doesn't at all take away from what is true to you.

It seems like this is just a way for you to explain your beliefs to everyone here and goad others into expressing theirs... So I'll be brief.

Faith is fine, and people can believe whatever they want.  But when someone gives a religious explanation to an experience that has occurred for so many, she's basically assuming everyone else subscribes to her faith.  And that's insulting, whether it's directed at a particular person or not. 

And also because science.

Actually that's exactly what I was trying to do, to understand why it's offensive.  Which is why I must be dumb enough to not understand how this is confrontational.  I'm trying to get an understanding of your views, so I can get why it's offensive instead of being on here thinking everyone's getting pissy over nothing.  It's obviously a hurtful point for your ladies and all I wanted to understand was why.  I'm being a human being try to understand another human being.  So, please understand (even if you think I'm a fucking blockhead) I was being genuine.
    Look, sometimes we can't understand why other people feel the way they do.  It doesn't make them right or us right.  What you need to fucking understand is that if someone tells you they are offended or you are being hurtful - stop fucking saying that thing in that environment. 

This is akin to you poking someone's open wounds asking - "Why is that painful to you, it doesn't even hurt me at all!"  
    Ok.  I get that.  Thank you.
  • Gizmo36 said:
    But, what's it to you if someone else believe their god has complete control over the TTC process?  
    A few months ago, a friend of mine announced her honeymoon pregnancy to a large group of us who were gathered for a party.  One of the other party-goers spent the rest of the night saying how she'd been praying it would happen so fast, and how God was rewarding her for being such a good, caring, wonderful person.  

Even though my friend was aware of our struggles and that we were approaching the 2 year mark, she didn't do anything to shut up the other friend.  They are both practicing Catholics and religion plays a big role in their lives.  Every time she opened hear mouth and something about God came out, all I heard was that I was being punished and that I wasn't a good, caring, wonderful person.  

So that's why religious comments, either directed at yourself or someone else with the same beliefs, can still be very hurtful and offensive.  
    So it ends up coming across at an indirect insult to you, which I can see now why it's offensive.  Thank you for sharing that.

I don't know if it's b/c the military de-sensitized me to things, which is why it didn't make sense to me how it's offensive.  But now some of you have enlightened me as to why and I do appreciate it.
  • Iris, so from this statement, "We can't control everything, and sometimes when the more control we take, the less things work out.", do you also not believe in medical intervention of any form?  I ask because of things like taking an antibiotic is taking control of your body and helping it fight infection.

I mean, with that statement, how do you achieve anything in life?  How do you decide on anything without taking control of it?

#justcurious
    Yes I absolutely believe in medical intervention, although I'm more into natural alternative methods of healing.  But sometimes even all that doesn't work.  If everything was absolutely our 100% control, then every single one of us would be pregnant.  Noone would ever die.  Noone would ever get sick.  It goes on.  That's my point is it is not 100% in our control.
    No, there would still be people who chose not to be pregnant, and people would still get sick because viruses, bacteria and germs laugh at "our control."

The point is that leave god out of this. You have people from a diverse backgrounds saying the same thing. Just put down the topic and leave it alone. 

THANK YOU!!! I have a double PhD in Chemistry and Biochem.... and it still to this day mind fucks me how viruses, bacteria and genetics can fuck us at every turn.. (personal experience as well)..... SAYING GOD has a choice in who lives/dies/conceives/miscarries etc shows that you don't have a fundamental understanding of biology

I have many Wiccan friends and personally adhere to a lifestyle that I should try to do good by the world and accept with happiness what it gives... but that isn't controlled by some supernatural forces

#justcurious
    No, there would still be people who chose not to be pregnant, and people would still get sick because viruses, bacteria and germs laugh at "our control."

The point is that leave god out of this. You have people from a diverse backgrounds saying the same thing. Just put down the topic and leave it alone. 

THANK YOU!!! I have a double PhD in Chemistry and Biochem.... and it still to this day mind fucks me how viruses, bacteria and genetics can fuck us at every turn.. (personal experience as well)..... SAYING GOD has a choice in who lives/dies/conceives/miscarries etc shows that you don't have a fundamental understanding of biology

I have many Wiccan friends and personally adhere to a lifestyle that I should try to do good by the world and accept with happiness what it gives... but that isn't controlled by some supernatural forces
  • cjchio said:
    Well you all have given me very good points, so I will do what's best & leave religion out of it.  That's all I wanted to do was understand, which now I do.  I'm not dumb, just b/c my brain does not process stuff the same way you do, does not make me stupid.  I'm not stirring up drama, and I'm genuinely sorry that it did.  I may not ask questions the right way, or word my sentences perfectly to your taste, but I had the best intentions.
    Bullshit you had the best intentions. You knew it would stir up shit. I don't know what your deal is, but something about you is shady as fuck.
    Um ok???  Shady how?
  • I have manners, perhaps not the ones you have. And to give an example as to why I must be so fucked up: my step mom says shit like this "god doesn't want this person to have this or that" "god gave me this because I do that" etc. So I grew up being de-sensitized to how religious comments are offensive. Then the military teaches us tolerance of religion and such. So I'm sorry but I can't help my manners are not to your liking.
  • Beliefs like that are a private matter, if you want to put it in your own post, fine, but don't respond to anyone else's troubles with healing thoughts of a deity. That's when people get mad. When people feel questioned or threatened, they don't respond with "Oh let me educate you on when I'm coming from" just like I won't ask questions to a stranger in my house, I will tell them to GTF out.

Even if people aren't "pushing" their religion simply saying they care about me and my salvation is damn offensive. For those people, just because they're in the majority does not give them the right to assume that's the right way for everyone. Save those conversations for people with shared beliefs or close friends, not a public forum.
    That's Kristine with a K...because I'm special.
     Married 7/7/2007
    Fur kid Sassafrass
    TTC 5/2014
    Cycle 1 - 80 days ended with progesterone, mini period, then full 13 days later
    7/2014 Blood work: No E of P, but high FSH (POF due to Celiac?)
    9/2014 - DH SA normal, Me: CD 21 blood work: no progesterone, FSH still elevated
    10/2014 RE Appointment for next steps
  • Yes ladies you caught me, I'm totally a troll b/c I have nothing better to do in life than to randomly join a forum about TTC (which I mean clearly I'm a troll so I'm not actually TTC) and piss peopl off. Yep. Smh
  • Yes ladies you caught me, I'm totally a troll b/c I have nothing better to do in life than to randomly join a forum about TTC (which I mean clearly I'm a troll so I'm not actually TTC) and piss peopl off. Yep. Smh
    Well at least you can admit it.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Gizmo36 said:
    But, what's it to you if someone else believe their god has complete control over the TTC process?  
    A few months ago, a friend of mine announced her honeymoon pregnancy to a large group of us who were gathered for a party.  One of the other party-goers spent the rest of the night saying how she'd been praying it would happen so fast, and how God was rewarding her for being such a good, caring, wonderful person.  

Even though my friend was aware of our struggles and that we were approaching the 2 year mark, she didn't do anything to shut up the other friend.  They are both practicing Catholics and religion plays a big role in their lives.  Every time she opened hear mouth and something about God came out, all I heard was that I was being punished and that I wasn't a good, caring, wonderful person.  

So that's why religious comments, either directed at yourself or someone else with the same beliefs, can still be very hurtful and offensive.  

doing the big US tour without DH (he is working on his thesis) and all I keep getting asked is about babies.... its just been our 3 year wedding anni and I am about to be 31 (they dont know we are on 9 months trying with no evidence of me ovulating and as soon as I am getting back have an RE appt thakn to you ladies).;

The people that say "it will happen in its time" drive me nuts (coming from an overly fertile Catholic family).... my mom had CF and I was adopted so they think I am OK despite having severe issues since age 12 and just learned I only have one "normal" ovary....

I hate busy body people... even family sometimes... but I like you snarky lovely ladies.... you keep it real

Whatever happened to...

'An it harm none, do what thou wilt? 

Or do you not subscribe to that particular tenet in Wicca? Because, you're actually doing a lot of harm here, and again... If you don't know it then it's pretty telling about you (what you take from that is none of my concern). 

I do live by that, and I did not know that I harmed anyone simply by asking a question. And when the harm was realized and accepted, I apologized. Because that's what people usually do when they're wrong. Not one person is perfect. I made a mistake, I accepted my fault and showed genuine sorrow for it.

It's only telling that I don't have the same standards as you, as not one person upholds the same manners, beliefs, customs, etc as another. It's only telling that I'm different than you. It does not make me a bad person, it does not mean I'm horrible or mean or some drama stirring drama.
    I didn't realize this is a board full of robots and one person who does not follow the path of the almighty bump gods must be "telling" of who they are. That's funny
  • Ok...wtf? Is this post in reference to what happened yesterday?? Because what happened in that post and what YOU'RE asking about are 2 different things. Do you really not see that?

Other than that shit show yesterday, I don't remember a post in which people were attacking each other for their religious views (unless I missed something).
    Married 8/14/09
    TTC #1 since 5/2014
    BFP #1 11/14/14 - CP @ 5w2d
    image  image  image
  • The military de-sensitized you to religion? Liar. Stop making excuses.

Also, @starbuck27, I love Heffer Wolfe. Rocko's Modern Life was my favorite cartoon too!

Married 7/21/12

Off bcp and ttc 9/1/13

bfp 7/20/14, m/c 7/23

will ttc again 8/14

cat animated GIF

• My new theory:

IrisPetals is some sort of alien whose alien race is looking for a new planet to inhabit. So, they're trying to figure out all our armor chinks by trolling the internets and stirring up shit. But she's like, the newest alien to this job so she's just terrible at it.
    Dammit you figured me out! Lmao
  • My new theory:

IrisPetals is some sort of alien whose alien race is looking for a new planet to inhabit. So, they're trying to figure out all our armor chinks by trolling the internets and stirring up shit. But she's like, the newest alien to this job so she's just terrible at it.
    So much LOL.
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• I'm all three actually. I'm a robotic alien who is mentally insane. =))
    Add troll to that list.
    TTC #1 since 8/2013
    DX: Unexplained infertility 11/2014
    Hysteroscopy, D&C 11/17/14

Just staaaahp. 
    Married 8/14/09
    TTC #1 since 5/2014
    BFP #1 11/14/14 - CP @ 5w2d
    image  image  image
  • spiltmilkzspiltmilkz member
    edited July 2014

I'm all three actually. I'm a robotic alien who is mentally insane. =))
    F gifs today.

No body likes you.
    Aug15 Signature Challenge- Favorite Mean Girl from Film/TV- Santana
    beach

BabyFetus Ticker

Married my Best Friend 8/02/13
    DX Hypothyroidism 4/14
    BFP 6/23/14 MC 7/4/14
    BFP 12/9/14 EDD 8/18/15

• TrampslikeusTrampslikeus member
    edited August 2014
    *warning, loss mentioned*

On December 19th of 2012, while most of the world was setting up their Christmas decorations,  I was in a clinic in the Democratic Republic of Congo, sitting outside a surgical room, holding a woman about my age as she wailed, a sound I will never forget as long as I live, finding out her only living son was irreversibly blind, deaf,  and brain damaged after surviving meningitis.   She had 2 other children.  One of them was buried 4 days after he was born. The other was buried before she turned 3.

So "God willing", "thank God" ...because God?"   You really think anyone who has struggled to get pregnant or gone through a loss wants to hear that??  If they do, they can go to church - they have every right to.  And we have every right to say

EFFFFF
    OFFFFFFFFFFFFF

image  image
  • Everyone has their own beliefs and unless someone is willing to share those beliefs openly without being asked, it's best to leave that can of worms closed. Personally, I'm agnostic, I believe something's gotta be out there, but I don't nessicerally believe that it's this one guy who created the whole universe and has everything to do with everything. In my opinion, There's not some big guy upstairs who has this awesome plan for everyone, because if that's the case, then why is there so much ignorance and bullshit that consumes our world? But anyways, in conclusion, it's inappropriate and insensitive to even make this a discussion to a bunch of women who are doing everything we can to have a baby, because we're already frustrated and pissed off enough as it is without having to explain why we don't want to hear how the god guy has a plan for everything. Because at this point, we're saying fuck all that nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"