April 2014 Moms

Another baby food post

Hey guys! :-h FTM here. Mommy to Henry, whose birthday is 4/8/14! Here's a pic so you guys know I'm not a stalker/troll/whathaveyou ;) Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm wanting to make my own baby purées and introduce to LO in the next few couple months. No clue what I'm getting myself into but I'm super pumped! The thing is DH and I are extremely unhealthy eaters (processed food, no veggies, blah blah), but yet I want LO to eat healthy (avacado, carrots, green beans) Things I haven't really ever tried/liked. I'm hoping that cooking them for DS will encourage us to begin eating better because I want to be a good example to him. :) Any other STM's + who've been down this road and have a good outcome? Thanks in advance. :D

Re: Another baby food post

• We've always eaten pretty well, but I would say make whatever you LO is eating for the whole family. For example, steam a pot of green beans, blend some for him and you and dh eat the rest, or give lo avocado and make tacos that night for you guys to eat it on. One of the great things about making your own is that you can all eat the same things for dinner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That sounds great! Thanks for the ideas. I'm awful at thinking outside of the box, but tacos with avacodo sounds interesting. :> I really need to eat better anyways, but having a newborn makes it so easy to just grab junk!
  • I just want to recommend this site: https://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/index.html

Particularly if you don't eat a lot of veggies, it will sort of...remind you what veggies are out there. There are some that I made for DS that I hadn't eaten in years. For me, it's not that I don't like veggies, it's just that I don't eat as broad of a variety as I could because...well you just get into ruts.

Things like beets, for instance, are insanely nutritious, but I just don't make them all the time for myself. I like them I just don't seek them out in the store that often.

\image  image

• Use this as an opportunity to change your own eating habits. Start now. This is the best time for trying new fruits & veggies, so many choices. We do BLW, so they pretty much eat what we eat for the main meals. I would start by visiting the farmers market and getting a few things to try. Then look for a from scratch recipes and try those. Nothing fancy or complicated. Maybe a stir fry?
    @LalaMama81  As someone who has never heard of BLW until TB, what resources do you recommend looking into to start educating myself about it?  I'm interested in it but have a lot to learn.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited August 2014
    @LalaMama81‌ BLW question...when you say baby eats what you eat, does that include salt, seasonings, oils, etc... Or do you make a small unseasoned amount for them? I feel like this is probably a dumb question. Ha!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Heidiman said:

@LalaMama81‌ BLW question...when you say baby eats what you eat, does that include salt, seasonings, oils, etc... Or do you make a small unseasoned amount for them? I feel like this is probably a dumb question. Ha!

It's not dumb. I only limit salt. We eat all kinds of herbs and spices and I want them to as well. My kids enjoy spicy food, curries, etc.
    That's awesome. It seems like this may decrease the chances of a "picky eater". I love the idea of all of us eating the same food. I'm going to research this more.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"