Breastfeeding

Choking while breast feeding

Hi everyone

My baby is 12 days old and starting a few days ago she almost chokes while breast feeding almost once at every feeding. she suddenly coughs and starts making choking gasping noises so i prop her on my shoulder and tap her back until she stops and starts gasping like she was about to drown before she starts breathing normally and goes back to feeding

I did give her formula once or twice a day before but havent in the last few days would that have affected her feeding speed? She freaks me out everytime and she only chokes while feeding on my breast
imageimage
God Bless You my Little One
Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
Farida, at 8 weeks

Re: Choking while breast feeding

• My daughter does the same thing and she is almost 5 months old. She only does it on one side also. I try and lay back and have her almost laying on top of me when I nurse from that side. Congrats!!
  • NADA-HNADA-H member
    Thanks ladies and thank you for the advice. i will try laying back, my heart almost stops every time i hear her gasping
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like over active letdown. I had this problem when my son came home from the nicu and we finally began EBF instead of pumping. Side lying or reclining are great suggestions. You can also manually express some milk before feeding. You're not doing anything wrong so don't get discouraged :)
  • I live in the special needs world, but I did want to tell you that aspiration is a real issue. Babies can aspirate silently too. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check with your doctor.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"