November 2014 Moms

Parenting in your area?

Just curious to hear what parenting styles are like in general where you live.  (Let's hit on some stereotypes - in reality probably EVERY area has a mixed bag - but let's make some gross generalizations here.   :P  )

------------

Older moms, younger moms?

Midwives, family doctors or OBs?

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans?

BF or FF?

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away?

Anything else?

And..

Where (approximately) do you live if you feel comfortable sharing?

Do YOU fit the stereotypes or you will be the odd mom out?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Lilypie - (C6hS)

Re: Parenting in your area?

• PineApple85PineApple85 member
    edited July 2014
    This looks fun!  I'm curious to see what people say.  I live in NW FL which is very redneck and rather traditional/old-fashioned.

Older moms, younger moms?  I see a fair mix in age, but I would imagine we have more than the national average for young moms because that's what's done here.  You get married and start your family young.  It's also a military area which I have seen shows the same tendency toward marrying and starting families young.

Midwives, family doctors or OBs?  Definitely OBs.  Everyone I know sees an OB and there's only one MW in the city.

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans?  My guess is lower than the national average for CS but definitely more women have interventions.  I can't think of anyone that I know that has had or is planning a med-free birth.

BF or FF?  I do seem to see a fair number of women breastfeeding young infants.  Not too often older infants so I would imagine, best case scenario, we are average for BF-ing and duration of BF-ing before transitioning to formula or milk.

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away? Co-sleeping seems to be the norm, though not bed-sharing.  Families around here seem to have the typical fear of bed-sharing.

And..

Do YOU fit the stereotypes or you will be the odd mom out? I am certainly an odd mom out.  I was 27 when I had DS1 (older than the average for a first child here as most of the women I graduated with already had multiple children); I'm seeing a MW for a med-free birth; I BF for 2 years and would have longer if DS1 hadn't weaned; I am also comfortable bed-sharing (after the NB stage) but SO is a heavy sleeper so we didn't move DS1 into bed with us until recently.  DS1 was in our room for 5 months before we moved him to his room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mb314mb314 member
    edited July 2014
    I live in a mid-size southern city, and I think the people I am friends with reflect my parenting style/birth choices.  I don't know about the wider region - but I live in a neighborhood that is yuppy/alternative/artsy (whatever you want to call it) so the people I know are more like that, and I think I do fit the stereotype: 

- I would say most of my friends are in their early to mid 30s.  I'm on the older end of the range, at mid to late 30s. 
    - Almost all of my friends see midwives (we have a great midwife group  in town, affiliated with a great university hospital.  The midwives are all certified nurse midwives and deliver in the hospital)
    - All of my friends wanted to breastfeed, although I had several friends who had major issues and couldn't make it work.
    - Most of my friends hoped to have a med-free birth (took Bradley classes, had doulas, etc), although about half of them had difficult labors and ended up with epidurals.
    - About 1/2 of my friends co-slept.  I think I'm the only one with a LO still in our bed (that's a whole OTHER issue). 
    - About 1/2 of my friends use cloth diapers.  Cloth diapers are big in my area. 

Again, I think if you look at my larger region, you'll see more people who are having kids younger, don't breastfeed, have no desire for a med-free birth, have not heard of cloth diapers, etc.  I just live in a little yuppy bubble :)

• Loading the player...
  • edited July 2014
    We're talking stereotypes here...

Older moms, younger moms?
    Generally younger moms, low income, multiple kids. It seems people tend to get married and start families younger in our area as well. 

OBs. I hadn't heard anyone using a midwife nowadays until I came to TB. I think we have one midwife / birthing center (maybe?)

I wouldn't say "lots of drugs", but most women I know IRL have had an epideral. I don't know anyone who has had an elective C-section (nor have I heard of any doctor that would provide one). I hadn't heard anything about women wanting to go med free until I joined TB. 

BF or FF?
    I don't feel like either is stressed strongly here. It's up to the mother. If anything I would say they lean toward FF because young, working moms might not have the support system to continue to breast feed. There are also a lot of "conservative" people here who would be really judgy if they saw a mom BF in public. I'm pretty sure BFing after a kid is six months or so would get you side-eyed. 

No idea. 

Eastern Washington State (rural/agricultural primarily, medium-sized city)

Ha! Ask me when I'm a mom? I'm already the odd pregnant lady out given DH and I couldn't just have a baby when we wanted one (or an "ooops" baby). We're already older than most of our friends having kids and, honestly, having twins throws things for a loop. I'm a high-risk pregnancy, so I'm treated a little differently. As for BF/FF, I'm going to try to BF, but I don't know how it will work out since I've never tried it before. We plan to put babies in cribs from the beginning, but once again I don't know how well that will work out. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oooh, this is fun!

Older moms, younger moms? I would say older. People here tend to be highly educated and work high-paying jobs in research fields. I'm a teacher, and most of our moms are older. The international moms from the Middle East and Asia tend to be a little younger, though.

Midwives, family doctors or OBs? Midwives AND OBs. We have a ton of med schools and hospitals out here, so we definitely have the medical element of OBs, but we also have birthing centers, "crunchy" hospitals, and midwives. My practice is a combo of OBs and midwifes.

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans? I don't know of anyone here who has received an elective Cesarean, but we probably run the gamut. There are a lot of folks who believe in intervention free births (hence the birthing centers, midwives, doulas, and massage/birth offices that specialize in prenatal massage and yoga), but we also have some really advanced hospitals where interventions are common because they specialize in high-risk cases. I think everyone is able to find what they're looking for, more or less.

BF or FF? Mostly BF. The hospital where I will be delivering has a BF rate of 95% or higher.

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away? I really have no idea. I plan on using a co-sleeper for several months, but I haven't really talked with others to find out what they did.

Where (approximately) do you live if you feel comfortable sharing? I live in an affluent suburban area in NC where most of the residents are from out-of-state or international.

Demographically, I'm sort of the odd mom out. I'm a little younger, I'm a local (I'm from NC originally), and my household income is less than half the average for my town.

@missnacholover, do you agree with these generalizations? I wonder if working at an affluent school has skewed my opinion one way or the other.

image      image

• I definitely agree with @MMMPopcorn

Here are my views. 

Older moms, younger moms? Definitely more older.  I think most women in this area establish their careers before thinking about families.  But there are definitely some younger moms too, just not many that I've seen in my circle.  I'd say most of my friends/coworkers were in their 30s before starting families.

Midwives, family doctors or OBs? There are 900 billion hospitals around here so I'd say the leaning is more towards OBs.  But again, this is just what I know. 

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans? I think there is probably a bit of everything!

BF or FF? From my experience, BF is highly supported.  The hospital where I'll be delivering highly encourages it.

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away? No clue.  It seems from my friends/coworkers most actually co-sleep for a little while but seem to move baby to their own room rather quickly.

Where (approximately) do you live if you feel comfortable sharing? I live in an affluent suburban area in NC where most of the residents are from out-of-state or international.  (Ditto)

I think we fit the stereotype.  We're financially in the norm for our area and I'm an older mom! 

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    Older moms, younger moms? Younger Moms

Midwives, family doctors or OBs? Midwives/Dr. ...equal mix.

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans? Lots of drugs & I've heard several women straight up say "Just do the CS"

BF or FF? BF

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away? Putting baby right in bed with them O_O

And..

Where (approximately) do you live if you feel comfortable sharing? Southern Ohio

Do YOU fit the stereotypes or you will be the odd mom out? Probably the odd mom out, as my child will always be clothes in public, be given baths and not drink Mt Dew from their bottle :|

• Older moms, younger moms? - OLDER.  Definitely.  AMA is normal here.  People having babies in their 20s are assumed to have had a birth control malfunction.  I am going to be 39 when I deliver and I am still considered a young mom.  (I was REALLY young having my first at 31). Why?  I think it is because housing prices here are so insane few people can afford a house till they are 40!   (If they are lucky)

Midwives, family doctors or OBs?  Midwives are definitely popular.  Even for the moms in their mid-40s.  A few have family doctors...  very few go to OBs.  People sometimes get sent to an OB for an appointment or two if they have some issues, but I only know ONE person who started seeing an OB right off the bat.  (And she regrets it.) 

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans?  Quite a few home births, those who aren't planning one are at least planning an intervention free birth at the hospital.  Of course, outcomes are all over the board.

BF or FF?  BF all the way.   People actually get dirty looks if they are bottle feeding in public in some areas around where I live. 

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away?   Many co-sleep and bed share.  Some due to necessity (only being able to afford a 1 or 2 bedroom place.)  And lots are just attachment parents.

Anything else?  Quite a few people cloth diaper....   Very few use regular diapers like Pampers -- they use the beige, more eco-friendly ones if their child is in disposables.  We have a high Asian population here, so many put their child on the toilet "early" - which I do as well.  (So easy, cheap, and good for the environment.) 

Also, people are into fancy strollers and a lot of yoga and Starbucks.  And kale, hemp hearts, and goji berries. 

And..

Vancouver

I fit the stereotypes pretty well.  :\">   Although I do barre instead of yoga and I hate coffee.  If forced to go to Starbucks I will buy a fruit salad and ask for an ice water!  I am not a huge fan of kale, hemp hearts and goji berries however.  I can enjoy them in small doses on different occasions.  But all together three times a day?  No thanks.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Older moms, younger moms?

Who you callin' old? Haha. Everyone I know is in their early to mid 30s and either on their first or ttgp.  This is pretty specific to my part of the city and vastly different in other parts of DFW.

OBs. My sister is a huge advocate for midwives but she's the only person I know personally who is.

I don't know anyone who has attempted or even wanted to attempt med free.  I think everyone I know is in the "I don't want to feel that shiz" camp.  I also don't know anyone who wanted a csection.  The only people I know who had them were emergency situations.

BF or FF?
    I don't feel like either is stressed strongly here. There are also a lot of "conservative" people here who would be really judgy if they saw a mom BF in public. I'm pretty sure BFing after a kid is six months or so would get you side-eyed.  (same)

Most of the moms that I know have the baby in their room for the first few months - but not truly co-sleeping.  They have them in a bassinett or crib in their room.

Dallas, TX

Ha! Ask me when I'm a mom? I know that I'm stereotypical age-wise, but that wouldn't have changed based on my location.  I only moved here a couple of years ago.  As far as the drugs, OB and cosleeping - I'm in the same boat as most of the other moms that I know in my area.  Not sure about BF yet.  I'm going to see how that goes when the time comes, but I certainly won't beat myself up if it doesn't work out.

• KMW08KMW08 member
    -----------

Older moms, younger moms? It's fairly generational here. Used to be young (18-22ish) then went to older (mid 30s+) now it's inbetween (26-34).

Midwives, family doctors or OBs? OBs for sure. There aren't many midwives that I know of.

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans? Mix of med free & using meds.

BF or FF? BF is heavily promoted now. It has only become the norm in the past couple of years.

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away? No clue, I'd guess a mix. I assume co-sleeping (baby in a bassinet in parents room) is gaining popularity.

Anything else? Not that I can think of.

And..

Where (approximately) do you live if you feel comfortable sharing? Central Missouri.

Do YOU fit the stereotypes or you will be the odd mom out? I fit the stereotype.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Older moms, younger moms? a bit of both. Some started really young and now have teenagers and others like me started early 30th. I would say half of my friends my age have kids already, and half do not.

Midwives, family doctors or OBs? Generally all my friends have gone with an OB. I do know a lot of people who have used a MW, but it's definitely not the norm.

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans? I would say most people want lots of drugs. Or they have had elective cesareans. I personally want an invention free birth.

BF or FF? both. Most of my friends have FF. I live in an area where people still look at you strange if you NIP. If your BFing, you are most likely covered or you are doing it at home or even worse in a gross bathroom. (which bothers me to no end.)

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away? I have seen both.

Anything else? more people are getting on board with cloth diapering and baby wearing. You are still considered pretty granola if you do. I just want to do what's best for me and for my baby. 

And..

Where (approximately) do you live if you feel comfortable sharing? I live in city west of Edmonton, AB.

Do YOU fit the stereotypes or you will be the odd mom out? I think I don't fit the general stereotype, but I won't be the odd mom out.
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • Older moms, younger moms?
    Younger moms

Mostly OBs, but I also have a lot of friends who swear by MW and home birth.

Its weird if you dont get an epi.

BF or FF?
    50/50

Own room

Anything else?
    Pretty much I don't fit in lol

And..

Minnesota

Totally the odd ball...
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Older moms, younger moms? - OLDER.  Definitely.  AMA is normal here.  People having babies in their 20s are assumed to have had a birth control malfunction.  I am going to be 39 when I deliver and I am still considered a young mom.  (I was REALLY young having my first at 31). Why?  I think it is because housing prices here are so insane few people can afford a house till they are 40!   (If they are lucky)

Midwives, family doctors or OBs?  Midwives are definitely popular.  Even for the moms in their mid-40s.  A few have family doctors...  very few go to OBs.  People sometimes get sent to an OB for an appointment or two if they have some issues, but I only know ONE person who started seeing an OB right off the bat.  (And she regrets it.) 

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans?  Quite a few home births, those who aren't planning one are at least planning an intervention free birth at the hospital.  Of course, outcomes are all over the board.

BF or FF?  BF all the way.   People actually get dirty looks if they are bottle feeding in public in some areas around where I live. 

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away?   Many co-sleep and bed share.  Some due to necessity (only being able to afford a 1 or 2 bedroom place.)  And lots are just attachment parents.

Anything else?  Quite a few people cloth diaper....   Very few use regular diapers like Pampers -- they use the beige, more eco-friendly ones if their child is in disposables.  We have a high Asian population here, so many put their child on the toilet "early" - which I do as well.  (So easy, cheap, and good for the environment.) 

Also, people are into fancy strollers and a lot of yoga and Starbucks.  And kale, hemp hearts, and goji berries. 

And..

Vancouver

I fit the stereotypes pretty well.  :\">   Although I do barre instead of yoga and I hate coffee.  If forced to go to Starbucks I will buy a fruit salad and ask for an ice water!  I am not a huge fan of kale, hemp hearts and goji berries however.  I can enjoy them in small doses on different occasions.  But all together three times a day?  No thanks.
    I'm from the SF Bay Area and thought that morrocojade was describing this area until I saw she was in Vancouver.  Basically... ditto!

As for me, I kind of fit the stereotype.  I'm kind of young to be having my second, at 33.  We cloth diaper and I usually use the beige crunchy diapers if I get disposables.  I will be bf-ing, but I'm not going to beat myself up for introducing formula if I need to this time around.  We baby wear and did baby led weaning.  Still, I don't consider myself an attachment parenter.

At the same time, I'm all for a hospital birth.  Honestly, after last time, DH wants me to schedule a c-section.  I don't think that's a choice with my doctor...  I'm prepping for not being eligible for an epidural (platelets appear to be dropping again), which would mean no meds (or general anesthesia if I needed a c-section).  I'm looking into a post-partum doula to address PPD.  

I'm a mixed bag :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Older moms, younger moms? There seems to be a pretty good mix, but I'd say the average first time Mom is 25.  I know many older & many younger though.  

Midwives, family doctors or OBs? Mostly OBs.

Intervention free births, lots of drugs, or elective cesareans? We have a pretty high c-section rate (in the later 30%s) at our 2 main hospitals that deliver babies, but most moms who deliver vaginally have an epidural.  I do know a few women who had natural births, but c-sections & epidurals are definitely the majority.

BF or FF? BF.  Almost everyone I know BF for at least a little while.  

Co-sleeping or baby in their own room right away? I've seen a lot of both.

Anything else? I found it interesting that circumcision rates are getting much lower in many parts of the country, but here, it is in the high 90%s.  An L&D nurse I had said it was extremely rare that a mother opted to not circ in her experience, & when they did, it was usually because they were Jewish & had to wait until a certain day to do so.  Lots of places claim newborn boys are circ'ed 50/50, but definitely not here.

And..

Where (approximately) do you live if you feel comfortable sharing? Louisville, KY

Do YOU fit the stereotypes or you will be the odd mom out? I fit most of them...except that I don't BF. 
  • @mrsransom‌ Off topic, but your input was very interesting to me. I'm not from Louisville, but I went to UofL and SO is from there and all of his family still lives there. It's kind of like my second home. :-)

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • misterdonutmisterdonut member
    edited August 2014
    My community consists of mostly older moms (not old though! I'm young :) in their young-mid 30s. Midwives are hot and trending right now...natural birth and BF is very much the in thing here. Not sure about co-sleeping, but most of my friends in SF follow that. I will be putting the baby in its own room! 

I am the odd one out because of my age. Youngest in the neighborhood 
    :)>-
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"