November 2014 Moms
Options

UO Thursday!

Lets get some good ones today ;)

Re: UO Thursday!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jaminjeff said:
    I hate generic, pre-printed wedding thank you cards where everyone gets the same exact thing. To me, they seem super impersonal and like zero thought went into them.
    I hope that's not unpopular.  I got one last week and I'm really irritated with it.  It was a "wedding" on their 2 year anniversary of marriage.  They got married at a court house when she was pregnant.  It was the second marriage for both of them and the groom still had a bachelor party.  The whole thing was very contrived.  The bride stays home all day (they live with her parents and she's not expected to do housework) and the LO goes to daycare/preschool.  Tell me why she didn't have time to write out a few thank you cards each day.
    It just seems like in the past few years, most wedding I've attended have sent out these types of thank you cards. I don't get it!

• Options
    I don't know if this is a uo or not. Don't invite someone to your baby shower that you have not told you are having a baby. It's a weird way to find out someone is expecing.
    YES! My MIL added someone to the guest list and this person has NO clue I'm pregnant. I don't really know this person too well... she's more of a semi-friend to my MIL but it's just bizarre. Hey! I know you don't know I'm pregnant and you'll likely never see the baby, but buy me lots of prezzies, k thx bye!

• Options
    To go with the card UO theme, I don't understand when people send out generic Christmas/holiday cards where they just sign their names under a pre-printed message. Why waste the money and effort? I do understand and appreciate photo cards or cards with personal notes.
  • Options
    abbyful said:
    I don't think it's tacky to put your registry information on a baby shower invite. Everyone is probably going to bring a gift anyway, if they don't nbd, but personally I like to buy things I know the couple will have use for.
    I always thought this was appropriate even according to the etiquette sticklers. Registry info is okay on a shower invite because the whole purpose of the party is to give gifts. (But NOT okay on the invitation to a wedding, because a gift shouldn't be required.)
    This, plus since a shower is supposed to be thrown by someone else for the guest of honor, it's really someone else bringing up gift ideas for you rather than you asking directly for gifts.
  • Options
    I once got invited to a wedding ceremony through Facebook but the reception was invite only through the mail. And of course I didn't realize that. So I ended up going with my group of friends and 2 of us weren't on the list to get in. How embarrassing! We had to wait to see if there were any empty spots. I apologized about a week later to the bride... but that's my UO. The whole situation was tacky to me. ETA: wedding invitations through FB, after church ceremony not being able to congratulate couple because you're not invited, not clearly announcing program, etc... just wrong. But hey it was their day!
    So many levels of tacky here. What did you have to apologize to the bride for? When my friend was getting married, they discussed inviting everyone to the wedding but then doing a "limited" reception for just family so they didn't have to feed/provide beverage for everyone. I flat out told her that was rude. Thank God they listened to me at least on that (they still did a "potluck" reception and asked for honeymoon money instead of gifts, but at least no guests were turned away!). 
    ****** I apologized because I felt like I crashed her reception. But yes the shebang was nms.
    In my opinion, you did absolutely nothing wrong. The default is that if you're invited to the ceremony, you're invited to the reception, so if she was doing things differently (and to me, very rudely), she needed to make that explicit on the facebook invite.
    ^^ this exactly... plus I'm still getting over the fact that there was "a list" to get into the wedding.  I'm in NY where weddings are usually more formal than others (not saying that they aren't formal anywhere else) and I've never been to a wedding where you got checked off a list to enter.
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary
        Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Maelara said:

Internet is apparently not the place to single out occasions I feel (in my opinion) are unnecessary for my kids. I don't see a problem with drinking in front of my child. DH and I are responsible people. If we host an event then yes we will have drinks in front of our kids. We know how to act and not go crazy. DH will probably drink more often than I will in public. I'm not as big of a drinker and even before children I was a fan of being DD if we were out and about. Cops here suck badly.

My opinion was stated as a personal story and involving DH's unruly family. To clarify my opinion in regards to being around DH's family - I don't think my kids need to be in a field, with only adults who have been drinking all night, up past midnight, and around children who don't have manners or a schedule. DH's family can get out of control and I personally don't think my kids need to be around it (often). It's not just the drinking, it is how the family and other act while drinking. Some situations to me just aren't appropriate.  

The cops suck badly because they don't do their jobs to catch the people drinking and driving or because they do? I just want some clarification before I go off...

I also don't think it's a big deal to drink responsibly around your children. 1 glass of wine doesn't make you a an irresponsible parent. Getting shit faced in front of your kids, does.

Also, at a wedding there is definitely a time for the kids to go to bed. They don't need to up until midnight with all the drunks.
    Not a problem. I was typing quickly and didn't mean to come off so rude about cops. Clarification would be that we have so very many of them and that they stop pretty much anyone traveling after 10:30pm Friday - Monday morning. We have probably 10 small towns who all have their own PD around here and Hwy Patrol is everywhere. Chances of being stopped are very high which is good because it lessens the amount of accidents around here due to alcohol. But it is risky because 2 drinks really will send you to jail just as quick as 10. I have known so many people who get DWI's that I have just never wanted to chance getting one so I have always offered to be DD for DH and our friends.

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    I hate generic, pre-printed wedding thank you cards where everyone gets the same exact thing. To me, they seem super impersonal and like zero thought went into them.
    Yeah I definitely did these! To me though, I'd rather have a nice picture of the couple I can keep than a hastily written thank you card that pretty much will say the same as everyone else's. I wouldn't keep a thank you card.
    No offense, but I wouldn't keep a wedding photo of a couple either unless it was family.
    Really? Like a picture of a friend you wouldn't keep?
    Nope. I used to have printed pics I put in albums, now everything is digital and online, so I make a yearly shutterfly book. If I was such good friends with this person and was at their wedding, I would have my own pictures from it and that would then go in my scrapbook. I wouldn't need a pic of just the bride and groom to keep.

But maybe I'm just cold-hearted.
  • Options
    AeandJb said:
    I think Baby Showers that are all about what the Hostess wants are crap. Yes, it's their money and time, but it's also their "gift" to the MTB, so the MTB should be comfortable at it, enjoy it, and it should reflect her. People act like since it's a gift and someone offered to host that you have to be thankful for whatever goes on. 

"Oh, you don't want men at your shower? Too bad."
    "Oh you wanted it to be sooner than 3 weeks from your due date? That doesn't fit my schedule."
    "You want your nursery theme instead of the "It's a Girl" theme because you hate pink? Oh well."

These are examples I've seen and pretty much on the BS board, the MTB are told to shut up.

We are having co-ed and my sister was searching stuff for it and every website said to cater to the men: Have alcohol, hot dogs, game food, somewhere away from the women, and a game on. It's for the MTB, not the men that are invited! Also, not all men like drinking or sports and why invite them only to seclude them?

No. If it's co-ed it's about the MTB AND the DTB. It should incorporate things they both like at that point. I do agree that the shower should reflect the parents-to-be though. Some hosts (or hostesses) just aren't good at that aspect. I loved my shower for N. There were no games just yummy food, CAKE, beverage, good convo and of course presents. That part always makes me super uncomfortable though, I hate being the center of attention though.
  • Options
    ejpetey said:
    I don't think my friends/family have done anything about a shower and I'm kind of butt-hurt about it. I've helped plan a few of them now (and when I was living far away, flown in to attend them for close friends) and have always been super generous, not only at shower time but at xmas, birthdays, etc. Granted now all those mamas have kids of their own and families they're busy with, and I didn't have that at the time, but still. I know I probably shouldn't have expectations around this but it's kind of hard not to. I think they know better than to try to surprise me, too. I would never in a million years say anything about it to any of them, but it's nice to be able to vent to all of you!
    This is me right now too. I haven't heard of any plans or if anyone is throwing me a shower. I feel pretty hurt by it. I don't want the shower for the gifts, I want the shower to celebrate the arrival of my baby girl. 
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • Options

@ejpetey - I hope someone is planning your shower and you get one after all!

@aeandjb - I agree to some extent that a normal baby shower ideally should reflect the MTB's style or wishes. It would be nice of the hostess to take that into consideration (and I think most do). However, it is a gift in itself so if it's not what you want, suck it up and be grateful anyway.

Also, in the case of a co-ed shower, it's not only about the MTB but the FTB as well. When I was asked for input on this co-ed shower the only thing I said was I wanted to make sure DH had a good time and it wasn't awkward for the guys. I'm getting traditional showers thrown by family and I'm the one who is getting all the attention it seems, but I know he's just as excited about these babies as I am so I figured it was a good opportunity for him to be in the spotlight a little :-)

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    AeandJb said:
    @Maelara and @absolutelymaybe I know it's also about the FTB, but my H could careless about the details or food. He'll show up and do whatever. My Hostess is doing our favorite colors and incorporating H's favorite animal. He doesn't drink or care about sports, so he has no problem that those won't be available. The reason we are doing co-ed is because it is his baby too. I felt so awkward at my bridal shower because they were gifts were both of us and he wasn't there. I also hate being the center of attention and this way, all eyes won't be on me. I tried to not have games, but my little sister is insisting. Luckily my other sister knows how much the "how big is mom?" game is evil and won't be doing that.

Also about the alcohol thing: Twin sister and I were around alcohol the same amount growing up. I drank twice before being legal, never to get drunk. She drank every few days to get wasted before she was legal. She's better about it now, I'm pretty much the same as always. I think it ultimately depends on the person and how you deal with peer pressure.

My comment didnt really have anything to do with that sports thing. My DH doesn't care for sports either. If we were doing a co-Ed shower, I would get a projector and xbox for him and his buddies. They would have a blast! And I'd get wife brownie points ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"