February 2013 Moms
Options

Oh yippee. Climbed out of the crib. Help?

Despite the sleep sack.  Despite the frequent, early on "no climbing out of your crib."  Despite it being on the lowest setting, DS climbed out of the crib this morning.  Climbing might be generous, more like threw himself/fell out.  

He also does gymnastics in his sleep and moves constantly, so I don't know if we could do a toddler bed or mattress on the floor, because I think he'd just end up sleeping on the floor.  Which might not be the worst thing, but the crib was so nice for containing him :-(.

Anyone have any suggestions?  We're going to turn the crib so the one side that is a little lower is facing the wall, but the sides aren't much higher so that's a bandaid fix.

BTDT ideas would be so appreciated!

Re: Oh yippee. Climbed out of the crib. Help?

• Options
    IME, once they do it, they will do it again, so it's safer to transition them out of the crib at that point.  DD1 did it before her second birthday.  She transitioned without any fuss

My BFF just went through this with her DD.  Her DD climbed out of the crib and hit her head one night.  They thought it was just a fluke and she had scared herself sufficiently, so she wouldn't do it again.  A few nights later she did it again and hit her head even harder.  She had to be moved out of the crib.

I've had some kids who never tried to climb out and others who were trying to when they were a year old.  Some of these kids are monkeys ;)

• Options
    IME, once they do it, they will do it again, so it's safer to transition them out of the crib at that point.  
    This.  I say bite the bullet and just transition to a bed.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DC2London said:
    We never had any problems when we transitioned Jack to the floor bed.  We babyproofed his room like whoa and that was that
    Same here.  Basically think of their room as their crib.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    Thanks, all for the suggestions!  I really appreciate it!

I think I might try removing the platform, rotating the crib, and putting the mattress on the floor.  Those inches I think will help, he's not that tall.  

Part of that is immediate necessity, because I have to order the rails for the toddler conversion, and the other part I'm going to call mother's intuition and say he's just not ready (or, I'm not ready).  He is *so* good at nap time and bedtime with understanding crib=sleep, so I think we need to get him over the new novelty of climbing and then make the move when he's more cognitively aware.   

While I trust him about as far as I'd throw him (which is not at all), he does now stop at the top of stairs and wait to hold hands to go down since we taught him to do that, so I might be in the training over transition camp, but ordering the conversion parts nonetheless.  

Sigh.  So not ready for this!      
  • Options
    I also have to thank you all for no one saying actually saying "time to switch to a big boy bed!" which I've already heard twice IRL this morning.  It's not the reality that he may need to transition, but the flippant "time for a big boy bed!" that got me.

To me, that's like saying "DS figured out how to steer his little red car - time to switch to a big boy car and hit the road!"

I need a nap ... 

• Options
    When my foster son started climbing out we put the crib mattress on the floor without the platform but still inside the crib. That was a "bandaid fix". It worked for maybe another month and then we moved his mattress to the floor. I was terrified of that step but we got lucky and had 0 issues. We baby proofed his room to include a thing that made it so he can not open his door. His room was upstairs and that scared me so I did that so that he would be confined in his room. He is now 26 months and has been in a toddler bed for a few months but has been out of his crib for about 6 months.

Good luck mama!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"