February 2015 Moms

Rant- People suck

I'm currently working as a nurse at a summer camp and basically my employers are a bunch of assholes. It's a 10 week camp and I found out I was pregnant the first week of camp, DH and I had been trying for 3 months but never thought we would be blessed so quickly due to some health problems I have.

Long story short they have been awful about me having to take 2 hours off (10 hour days) for doctors appointments even when I explained they have to be done based on how far along I am (8 week, NT 11-13 weeks) so I can't just "wait until camp is over". They are now automatically docking 5 hours from my pay for my appointments next week (NT scan, 12 week) even though I would be gone 2 hours maximum.

Lastly my office has a mouse problem (which I had to buy my own trap for) and an ant problem (which I finally gave in and bought spray for because nothing was being done).

I used a "pregnancy approved bug spray" which is peppermint oil and rosemary oil and was just told by a co-worker I was selfish for spraying my "organic crap" because it smells like peppermint now.

Sigh, sorry for the long rant but I'm about to scream!!

Re: Rant- People suck

• That's ridiculous!! Is it even legal to take 5 hours of pay when you're missing 2? If so take those 3 hours and get stuff done! Run a personal errand or something. They sound like a-holes.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 

Married 9/13/13

TTC 2/1/14

IUI w/ Clomid 5/9/14

BFP 5/30/14

1st US w/ one strong HB at 161 7/2/14

• I agree with you on the mice and ants problem. And I'm not sure how they can take extra pay.

But can't you make an evening appointment instead of missing work? I would never have the option to leave work in the middle of the day for an appointment (I'm a teacher) and I still made it work when I was pregnant during the school year. I wouldn't expect my employer to cater to me in that way.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Loading the player...
  • starbeth51starbeth51 member
    edited July 2014
    My OB is open 9-4pm Monday through Friday - I work 6:15-4:15pm Monday through Friday and I'm 30 mins away from my doctor. I don't really have any options other than missing a few hours of work.

And for the record we are talking a total of 3 appointments over 10 weeks, which would be about 6 hours missed.

Yep, I plan on coming back after 5 hours- not a fan of working for free!
  • Try checking out your pregnancy discrimination laws.  Are you considered a full-time employee or a temp since it is a summer camp? The comments can be considered harrassment. 
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would definitely look into your labor laws and see whether or not they are discriminating against you. If they expect you to come back after 2 hours and basically work for free for 3 hours, that is definitely illegal, especially as a nurse. You cannot work off the clock as a nurse for free- you would be putting your license on the line. You are definitely doing the right thing and coming back after the 5 hours are up.

All in all, your employers are being assholes and depending on what your status is as an employee, they might be breaking discrimination laws. 
  • Wow, they are being awful! I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. I don't think I could handle it with my pregnancy rage hormones. At least it's just for the summer.
    *hugs*
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;</style>
  • I wouldn't think it was unreasonable at all to expect your employers to be ok with you going to the OB.  I have every other Friday off and try to make as many appointments as possible for other things on those Fridays, but my OB is only open for appointments Mon - Thurs from 8-5.  Fridays, they're open 8 - 12 for emergencies and prescriptions.  I work 7:30 - 5:30 so also have no choice but to go during work hours, but have never been questioned about it.  I would definitely look in to the discrimination laws.  AND how can it be ok for them to not do anything about mice and ants in an area where you're treating children?  That doesn't seem very sanitary for them to just let it go!  And to hell with whoever made that comment about the peppermint smell.  Way better than nasty pesticides even if you're not pregnant.  These people sound like a-holes...hang in there...at least it's just the summer!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JKHopeJKHope member
    What an awful working environment! I'm so sorry! I agree that you need to look into labor laws and do not work for free! How ridiculous for them to expect that! Are they not capble of looking at a clock when you leave and when you return to adjust your pay accordingly? Karma, I'm telling you
  • Thank you all for the kind words! I'm considered a seasonal employee so I know the laws are a bit different (they don't have to pay us overtime for example) but I will look into the discrimination aspect. Thankfully I just have a few more weeks in my contract and another job lined up.
  • My parents own a business and they are very careful with how they treat their employee's. I spoke with my mother when I got pregnant and asked her about all the work aspects.  I am very lucky to have 2 bosses who are so supportive of my pregnancy (my office is 90% men).  I think if you sit down with the camp directors and tell them your concerns it might make them see.  The last thing they want is a serious situation.  The have a public reputation to uphold as well and having a discrimination issue would be the worst thing for them.  Have you spoken with them about your concerns. 
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• I also worked at a summer camp for 7 years and know how they pay.  I'm assuming they give you a lump salary for the summer and you don't technically clock in or out.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• mommy5point0mommy5point0 member
    edited July 2014
    Assholes indeed. Who would want to
    smell ant spray over peppermint oil anyway? Baby powder works also, btw, but bitches would probably complain about that too.
  • I have tried to speak to them without much success. If at first you don't succeed try again I suppose!
  • How much longer is the camp? This is the reason I ask.  If you walk in there again and speak with them real serious and actually throw around harassment and discrimination they might take you a little more seriously.  Plus if camp is only a few more weeks, the last thing they want to do is lose you, their not going to find someone at short notice for such a short time.  Plus as a parent I would never pay money to send my kid to a summer camp without a nurse present.  You have the upper hand in this situation. 
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks

PitaPata Dog tickers

• I would quit. It's only a 10 week job. Let them deal without you. 

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tell the coworker to go f* him/herself.  Make sure you bring in extra herbal smelly things as air freshener cos they all stink.

They're docking your pay for 5 hours, so take 5 hours.  I'm pretty sure it's against the law to not do anything about the unsafe workplace.  Report them to OSHA for forcing you to work in unsanitary work conditions.

BabyFruit Ticker

• CogDisCogDis member
    @junebugjam‌ , I think you missed the part where she said it it was ten hour days. No teacher I know works 10 hour days in office/school. I'm pretty sure you'd expect your employer to accommodate your legit. health needs if you were in the same situation.

@starbeth51 your employers are idiots. It isn't legal to pay you for less time than you work (3hrs less) unless you have something in your contract that covers them on that move. Therefore, I'd demand to be paid fairly and if they didn't then I'd inform them that I'd be going home 3 hours early on my last day!
  • starbeth51starbeth51 member
    edited July 2014
    I told them if you insist on docking my pay 5 hours I'll be gone for 5 hours instead of 2, I'm not going to work for free! They said well that's up to you. Yep- so I'll be having a nice lunch out with DH and maybe a nap on Monday before returning! There are only 2 weeks left after this week but I will definitely be speaking to someone about this further. Thanks for all the ideas/kind words ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"