January 2015 Moms
Options

Another reason to love Harry Potter!

Did we really need one?

This article claims:

Harry Potter's greatest feat might not have been defeating Voldemort, but teaching young people around the world to battle prejudice. At least that's the finding of a new paper in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology, which claims reading the Harry Potter series significantly improved young peoples' perception of stigmatized groups like immigrants, homosexuals or refugees.

Before I read the article, I was all ready to comment on my friend's FB page that psychologists obviously found that children were depressed after not finding a Hogwarts letter.  haha.  I think the article turned out to be much better than what I assumed.  
:)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another reason to love Harry Potter!

• Options
    I can get behind that finding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pray67pray67 member
    I am not an avid reader but I have read few collections here and there. And HP is one of those. I love HP series. I reread them and watch the movies whenever they are on TV. I think for me, HP is one of those type of series that puts no boundaries to my imagination. And, I like to imagine without any definition.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love the Stephen King quote about Harry Potter vs Twilight (on why Rowling is a much better author than Meyer): “Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.”

I reread the HP series every year, and I bawl my eyes out every year when I get to Sirius' death. And every year my SO says "You knew it was coming."  Doesn't change the fact that it's super sad, dude!

I love HP and I can't wait until my future step daughters are old enough to read them - they are almost there.
    OMG yes.  I actually was saddest of all over Sirius' death.  Or maybe Doby's...  hmmm.
  • Options
    Love this! DH said last night how he cant wait til LO is old enough to read Harry to him/her
    DS born 1/8/2015
    BFP 1/5/2016   EDD 9/17/2016

• Options
    aks01aks01 member
    Lanatir said:
    I love the Stephen King quote about Harry Potter vs Twilight (on why Rowling is a much better author than Meyer): “Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.”

I reread the HP series every year, and I bawl my eyes out every year when I get to Sirius' death. And every year my SO says "You knew it was coming."  Doesn't change the fact that it's super sad, dude!

I love HP and I can't wait until my future step daughters are old enough to read them - they are almost there.
    OMG yes.  I actually was saddest of all over Sirius' death.  Or maybe Doby's...  hmmm.
    Mine was definitely Sirius'. I just felt so awful for Harry that he had such a shitty life and then finally found someone who would take him in that actually cared about him and he was gone just like that.

• Options
    aks01 said:
    Lanatir said:

Mine was definitely Sirius'. I just felt so awful for Harry that he had such a shitty life and then finally found someone who would take him in that actually cared about him and he was gone just like that.
    I think Sirius' is the worst, but honestly, Hedwig hit me the hardest the first time I read it.  I still get a little sniffly when Dumbledore and Dobby die, and still get a little teary eyed at Mad Eye and everyone in the final battle, but Hedwig man - that one was like a punch to the fucking gut! Damn J.K - you killed his parents, his god father, his mentor, his friends - you couldn't leave his fucking pet alive??? I still blubber and bawl at Sirius and Hedwig both.
    THIS. Hedwig kills me. Every time. And it happens so fast. 

Lupin and Tonks also destroy me. Especially now, thinking of poor little Teddy, who was only a couple months old. :-( 

• Options
    aks01 said:
    Lanatir said:

I think Sirius' is the worst, but honestly, Hedwig hit me the hardest the first time I read it.  I still get a little sniffly when Dumbledore and Dobby die, and still get a little teary eyed at Mad Eye and everyone in the final battle, but Hedwig man - that one was like a punch to the fucking gut! Damn J.K - you killed his parents, his god father, his mentor, his friends - you couldn't leave his fucking pet alive??? I still blubber and bawl at Sirius and Hedwig both.
    THIS. Hedwig kills me. Every time. And it happens so fast. 

Lupin and Tonks also destroy me. Especially now, thinking of poor little Teddy, who was only a couple months old. :-( 
    OMG.  TEDDY.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  I haven't cried in a while but being reminded of this right now made me teary eyed.  Blah.
  • Options
    BOOK SEVEN SPOILER

How has no one mentioned Fred's death????? That one is by far the worst for me. He was so young and full of life. Even when I'm not reading the book if I just think about it I get so sad. He was the best and then he died. Why couldn't it have been Percy??

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"