April 2015 Moms
Options

If you already have a child..

When will you tell them about their sibling on the way? DH wants to tell him soon but I'm a tad worried that something will happen and it will break his heart.

Re: If you already have a child..

• Options
    AshgalAshgal member
    I have 2 boys. I don't plan to tell them until after I tell all our family and friends. I am afraid the boys would say something to someone if I told them sooner and I don't want the whole world to know just yet. ;)
    Baby #1: EDD:  5/31/08   DD born sleeping due to severe preeclampsia at 22 weeks 1/26/08
    Baby #2: EDD:  4/28/09   DS#1
    Baby #3: EDD:  5/26/11   DS#2
    Baby #4  EDD:  4/1/2015 

• Options
    LRL131LRL131 member

We have a son who is 13 months old now, will be about 21/22 months when the second baby is born. Right now, he wouldn't understand. When he gets a little older, we will probably talk about baby and the baby that is in mommy's tummy. When we decide on a name down the line, we will probably refer to the baby by name. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else we will do since he will be pretty young.

I would love to hear from any others who have gone through this with similarly aged siblings before!

Married Since July 2012

DS1 Born via C-Section - 6/21/2013

BFP#2 7/28/2014, EDD 04/07/2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My twin girls are two and half. We have them say a little prayer. It started out as "dear God, please put a baby in mommy's tummy" and now it's "thank you for the baby in mommy's tummy." Our nanny had a kid a year ago so they get the idea of a baby. I just hope they don't think that this baby will go home with the nanny once it's here
    Twin girls born Feb 2012
    After another round of IVF, Baby #3 is on the way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    AshgalAshgal member
    @LRL131  I don't even remember when we first told DS#1 about DS#2. But we did tell him all about his brother in my tummy, let him talk to my tummy, and feel him kicking and moving. Once we picked out DS#2's name, we did encourage DS#1 to refer to his brother by name. I still don't think it really hit him until his brother was born though. At that young of an age they need something tangible and right in front of them. ;)
    Baby #1: EDD:  5/31/08   DD born sleeping due to severe preeclampsia at 22 weeks 1/26/08
    Baby #2: EDD:  4/28/09   DS#1
    Baby #3: EDD:  5/26/11   DS#2
    Baby #4  EDD:  4/1/2015 

• Options
    LRL131LRL131 member

Ashgal said:
    @LRL131  I don't even remember when we first told DS#1 about DS#2. But we did tell him all about his brother in my tummy, let him talk to my tummy, and feel him kicking and moving. Once we picked out DS#2's name, we did encourage DS#1 to refer to his brother by name. I still don't think it really hit him until his brother was born though. At that young of an age they need something tangible and right in front of them. ;)
    Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking we would do, but with this being the first time around with this scenario, its always good to hear some others' experiences!

Married Since July 2012

DS1 Born via C-Section - 6/21/2013

BFP#2 7/28/2014, EDD 04/07/2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    motangmotang member
    I won't tell my 2 1/2 year old until I don't care if she tells other people, so that won't be until second trimester. My 14 month old probably won't understand, but we will talk about it once I'm much further along and showing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My son is turning 2 next month, I doubt he would 'get it' even if we told him now.

Baby Girl Lennon born sleeping 6-18-11 Baby Boy Anderson born healthy and happy 8-17-12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DH really wants to tell DS, but I just think it's a tad early yet. I think we will wait and tell him right before we tell our families. I'd like to get him one of the "big brother" shirts and just put it on him during his birthday party to see if anyone notices. :)
  • Options

I've said things to her but she's 1 and just likes that I'm saying things in an excited way lol. If she was older I would wait. Maybe. It's hard to know for sure.

I agree. My dd is 16mo so she really doesn't understand. She will be 2 when the baby is born so I will talk more about it to help her get use to the idea when it gets closer to me giving birth

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My daughter is 21 months and she doesn't completely understand. We are moving her to a bigger room from her current room which will be the nursery in December before the baby comes so she doesn't feel like she is getting kicked out. As we get to that point, we will start talking about the baby and calling him/her by name, but I'm not sure how much she'll understand until the baby is actually here. 

Married: June 25, 2011 
    Our beautiful girl came into our lives October 15, 2012 
    TFAS: March 2014 
    BFP #2 July 2014 Miscarriage (6 weeks) August 2014 
    BFP #3 September 2014 Chemical Pregnancy September 2014 
    Seeing the RE: February 2015 
    Diagnosis PCOS: February 2015

BFP #4 April 2015 Chemical Pregnancy April 2015
    BFP #5 June 2015 EDD: 3/5/16
    Our rainbow baby came into our lives February 27, 2016
    BFP #6 January 2018 Miscarriage (7 weeks) February 2018
    BFP #7 April 2018 EDD: 12/23/18

• Options
    My son is 2.5 years and likely has a intellectual disability, but I still tell him there is a baby in mommies belly. He has touched my belly before I was pregnant too but now I use that time to tell him. I'll still tell him things tho he's unlikely to understand at all.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son is 5 and a half and has friends with siblings. We just vacationed with his best friend and their family, which includes a 9-month-old. He's been asking about a sibling for about 6 months and has been drawing pictures of him and his "brother" at daycare. I know he'll understand and be excited. We were planning to tell our parents this weekend and my husband would like to include him. I can't wait to see his reaction, but at the same time I'm nervous too.
  • Options
    I've talked a little bit about it. I asked her if she wanted a baby brother or sister, and she said "NO." Lol.
  • Options
    TRobRNTRobRN member
    DD is 18mo, so she doesn't really understand it yet. She loves her babies and carries then everywhere. We pray every night with her about her brother or sister to come and that they grow healthy and strong in mommy's belly. She probably won't get it until I have the baby.
    ***Fall: Football, weather, decorations, and Thanksgiving!*** Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic <a href="http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/laurieheath/?action=view
  • Options
    Were taking our 9yo son out tomorrow and getting him a new custom big brother shirt. Then were going to my parents house because we just don't wanna keep it a secret.

BabyFruit Ticker

Jaxx - March 11, 2005
    Wedding day - Sept 5, 2014

• Options
    I have a 4 1/2 year old son and told him he was going to be a big brother , he is excited but I don't think he fully understands . I asked if he would like a brother or a sister and he says both 1 brother and 1 sister which is funny he says that because twins run in both DH & i's families , maybe he will get his wish (:
  • Options
    LRL131 said:

We have a son who is 13 months old now, will be about 21/22 months when the second baby is born. Right now, he wouldn't understand. When he gets a little older, we will probably talk about baby and the baby that is in mommy's tummy. When we decide on a name down the line, we will probably refer to the baby by name. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else we will do since he will be pretty young.

I would love to hear from any others who have gone through this with similarly aged siblings before!

My son is fourteen months.  We told him this morning he was going to be a big brother but I am pretty sure he has no idea what that means.  He DOES notice things that are different so in a few months time I am sure he will notice my belly and maybe we can go from there.  Maybe a book would help.  IIRC my sister's kids were 22 months apart and the oldest didn't really grasp the big sister concept until #2 came home.
  • Options
    We have a 2.5yo son and I asked him about 3 days ago.."do you know what's in mommy's tummy"? He answered "baby sister"!

We had told him nothing. Which was really neat and a little scary at the same time!
    I am hoping he's right! DH is trying to convince him it's a baby brother :)
    I ask him every night before bed and we talk about how he can help take care of her/him. If something happens we will talk about Heaven and how h/she will wait there for him.
  • Options
    I've told him. He farted. Lol he doesn't understand yet.
    imageimage
  • Options
    BLPL101BLPL101 member
    edited July 2014
    I already told my DD, but she's 19 months and has no idea what I'm talking about LOL
    I pray with her every night and always mention the baby.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD is 2 and I've mentioned it but she could care less right now, lol. I think we'll watch Mommy's belly grow and talk about it more as time goes on God willing:-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We aren't telling our kids until we are ready to tell friends and family, probably at the end of the 1st trimester. They are 4 and 2 and will definitely spill the beans for us ;)
  • Options
    DD just turned 2, she is running around saying "um, baby in mommy's belly!"

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Options
    My 2 year old won't understand but my almost 4 year old will and we are waiting until the second trimester to tell her. She would be so confused and upset if something happened.
  • Options
    We are waiting to tell our sons until the end of the 1st trimester when the risks are not as high.
  • Options
    I don't blame yall for telling. It's such exciting news and you kind of want to shout it from the mountain top. :) How is it having three kiddos? I have two boys and I'm curious to know the dynamics when adding another in the mix.
  • Options
    Thanks so much! I've heard it is hard to balance your time more after the 3rd. Hubby and I do date nights at home, movie after the kiddos go to bed. We try to stay frugal with money so it's a cheaper alternative to stay in and watch something.

3rd labor easier or harder? I had an epidural with DS#1 and 14 hours of labor. DS#2 was all natural and only 12 hours. I'm hoping for even less laboring time and will be going natural again.
  • Options
    Haha I will definitely keep that in mind. Note to self..do not get cocky about a potential easy birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"