February 2013 Moms

Anyone Else Have This Problem?

When I go in for blood tests, the techs can never find a vein. I mean, they do eventually, but it takes for-freakin'-ever and the longer it takes, the more freaked out I get.

I've tried drinking lots of water leading up to the test and continuing to drink water while I wait, but it doesn't seem to help.  Anyone have this problem or suggestions to help make my veins pop/easier to find?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone Else Have This Problem?

• My DH does. It always takes nurses multiple times.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Drinking a lot of water is good, so don't stop doing that. Make sure your arms are warm. Heat brings veins to the surface. Try a long-sleeved shirt (I know, that might suck in the summer) or keep a small blanket wrapped around your arms. Are they putting the tourniquet on tight enough? Some phlebotomists/nurses put it on fairly loosely, which won't really help much. Ask if you can let your arms hang down by your sides for a minute or so to allow the blood to pool in your veins and help them pop out more. 

When you say they can't find one, do you mean they are looking for a long time but only stick once, or that you have multiple sticks until they get blood from you? If you're being stuck multiple times, ask if they can use a butterfly needle if they're not already. It's a very tiny needle that doesn't require a large vein at all. 
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • I have my phleb license and worked as one for a few yrs while I was in college. Just to piggyback what @kleigh926‌ said about using a butterfly needle- the green and black butterfly needles are the same size as the normal needles. If you want a smaller needle, ask for a light blue pediatric butterfly needle. 
    Using the ped butterfly needle- it will take a little longer to collect the amount of blood they might need and if there is not a steady flow of blood through the tubing, your blood might clot in the tube which will call for another stick if they didn't get enough blood the first time.
    I would do everything @kleigh926 said above or you can ask for a heel warmer (they use them on infants for heel sticks) and put that on your arm to bring out your vein. 

HTH  and good luck!
    ;;)

imageimage

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"