Baby Names

Opinions on these baby girl names

I have kept a list of favorite baby names for years, deleting ones that I get sick of hearing because they become too popular while adding new ones. Well, for at least the past 3 years my two favorites have been Sloane and Elle. Now that it is finally time to start choosing a name, I am having doubts about both. I still love them just as much but it bothers me that Elle is so similar to the popular Ella, and a friend named her baby Sloane a few months ago. This friend moved a few thousand miles away and I don't expect that our babies will ever meet but it still bothers me that someone in my friend group has used the same name. Do I try to get over these doubts and choose a name I love or search for something new? I think it is hard for me to consider something else because I have liked these names for so long. Other options I am considering: Simone Colette Poppy Also, I know I only used "I" but this is very much a joint decision- my husband loves all of these names as well.

Re: Opinions on these baby girl names

• I really love Colette!
  • I like Colette best but I kind of like Elle also. I may be crazy but if feels kind of sophisticated, much more grown up than Ella
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• Loading the player...
  • I like Sloane and Poppy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• I don't think Sloane is too popular at all. Simone and Collette are both gorgeous as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I stinking love Sloane. However, I never get the best reactions when I mention the name to people. Aside from Sloane, I also like Simone off of your list. Elle/Ella is too popular for my taste. Poppy and Colette are fine names, but they are just not my style.
  • I really like Simone. All of the El- names are huge right now (Ella, Ellie, Eleanor, etc), so if you don't like the idea of another one in your circle that's something to consider. If I really loved Sloane it wouldn't bother me to have a friend with a little Sloane, but I like both Colette and Simone much more than Sloane. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • plunderbplunderb member
    edited July 2014
    Simone is gorgeous.

How close are you to this friend? If she's your best friend since childhood and lives next door, I'd say stay away from Sloane. If she's your college buddy who you only see on Facebook, I see no reason to give up a name you love in deference to her.
  • magsugar13magsugar13 member
    edited July 2014
    love colette and simone!

hate poppy
  • Go with Simone or Colette.

Sloane is NMS and Elle/Ella is very popular.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• I'm swooning over Colette - great name!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I love Colette!!
  • Love Simone, in fact I think Simone Poppy is pretty much perfect. I do like Sloane too, but I prefer Simone.
  • Simone and Colette are lovely.  Sloane is not appealing to me at all.  Poppy and Elle are ok.  
  • plunderb said:
    Simone is gorgeous.

How close are you to this friend? If she's your best friend since childhood and lives next door, I'd say stay away from Sloane. If she's your college buddy who you only see on Facebook, I see no reason to give up a name you love in deference to her.
    We arn't that close- we were post-college couple friends- our husbands worked together, but I don't really plan to see her anymore since she has moved so far away. I like your point and I really want to get over it. It just irks me particularly because the name is not that popular, and I know it would bother her to think I copied off of her.
  • I really like Simone. All of the El- names are huge right now (Ella, Ellie, Eleanor, etc), so if you don't like the idea of another one in your circle that's something to consider. If I really loved Sloane it wouldn't bother me to have a friend with a little Sloane, but I like both Colette and Simone much more than Sloane. 
    Thanks, you brought up a very good point- ALL of the El names are having a moment right now and will probably feel overused to me in a few years and that is exactly what I want to avoid with my child's name. It's probably time to drop Elle. Thanks ladies, this is very helpful!! It helps to hear things from a different point of view.
  • I like Sloane. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TeseveTeseve member
    I love Poppy, but more as a middle name that you are using, with the first name to fall back on. I LOVED Evangaline Poppy, but my husband said no way to Poppy =( Maybe Sloane as a middle name? Then you can still use it, and if as she gets older, it just really doesnt suit like you thought it would, then she has a first name to fall back on.

• LNic5LNic5 member
    I like Colette and Simone more than Sloane, I'm just not a fan of it!! I also like Poppy and think it can be a nn or stand alone name...I know someone that goes by Poppy
  • @Teseve‌ - I loved Evangeline as well but my husband wouldn't go for it- he shot down all of my names ending in 'ine'.

@LNic5‌ - what is Poppy a nick name for?
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Well it doesn't really have anything to do with her name, her name is actually Ashley, I forget the story behind it, but she actually goes by Poppy not Ashley
  • I prefer Simone, Colette, and Poppy to Sloane and Elle. 

I would probably avoid Sloane if it was already used by someone in my circle. Elle could get shortened to Ellie, and there are a shitton of those right now, so if that bothers you it would be better to avoid it. I don't see it getting less popular right now.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • CMSAVCMSAV member
    Id just like to say, all of your names are on my list except Simone
    Love Sloane, not sure if I'd use it or not in your situation... Probably. Poppy is fabulous too
    Other suggestions:

Clementine
    Sage
    Rosalind
    Oona
    Ivy
    Ingrid
    Brigid

Good luck!
  • CMSAVCMSAV member
    @minimuffins‌ poppy is a nn for Penelope
  • CMSAV said:
    @minimuffins‌ poppy is a nn for Penelope

Oh, duh! I'm definitely not a fan of anything Kardashian related so I won't go there but thanks for the clarification.
  • CMSAVCMSAV member
    @minimuffins I hear ya. Also, I prefer Poppy as a given name anyways. :P
  • Sloane is a total guilty pleasure name for me, not feminine enough though. I like Simone and I would suggest Seraphina.
    BabyName Ticker}
  • Sloane is a total guilty pleasure name for me, not feminine enough though. I like Simone and I would suggest Seraphina.

Thanks, Seraphina is very pretty but I have a very long last name, 10+ letters, so I am limiting the first name to 2 syllables.
  • Sloane is on the top of our list right now.  A bit afraid of it being too trendy though.  I know what you are saying about Elle.  I love the name Emerson, but think there will be too many Em's (Emily, Emma).

I'd still go for Sloane or I also like Poppy from your list :)
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm tired of Elle/Ella, too. My favorite from your list is Collette. Sloane and Simone are nms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"