September 2012 Moms
Options

Puddle jumpers

Do you use them? Do you like them? How does your toddler do with it?

I'm not personally a fan; the lifeguard in me feels that they give kids a false sense of security, like any float toy. BUT I've never used them and DD is loving the pool and lake. DH is usually in charge of her in the water and I trust him to keep her safe, but we are getting ready to go to the cabin for a week and I know that the grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins will want to take her swimming as well I know that they will do their best to keep her safe, but I worry. 

I realize that I could just tell them that they can't take her or put her in a PFD. DH suggested that a puddle jumper might be a good option as well. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Puddle jumpers

• Options
    Puddle jumpers technically are a coastguard approved PFD, which is why I feel better about them than just another floatie toy.  I worry more about it giving the adults a false sense of security, but I bought one for DD because she is fearless in the water, and this will at least keep her head above water when she dives into it.  I'd just make sure all of the adults know that it's not a replacement for an adult holding her/helping her swim at all times... we still keep hands on when she's in it.  As long as the adults will respect that, I'd say it's worth a try!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    @watercolor5, yes your siggy is killing me with the cute.

I have heard others have the same fear of too much security. But IMO, as long as you are also teaching your child to swim, and giving them time in the water without it too, I don't have any problems with using them. We have 2, one for each kid. James can swim to the wall but it wears him out so fast. When he wears his puddle jumper, he can play in the pool for a long time with his friends. He knows that the puddle jumper is what is helping him swim, so he won't just jump in without it unless we are there and practicing swimming. Leo is catching on to this same concept quickly.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    We used it and she did great with it!

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I hate it when I'm on mobile and people are talking about cute siggys:(

ETA:  Yup, cute:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ditto watercolor5...these are coast guard approved, so I feel comfortable putting DS in them.  I feel much better with him running around in a puddle jumper that without.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    danabsd said:
    I swear I just read a thread on these. And for the second time I thought we were talking about those little planes.
    I think that thread had something to do with putting a LO in the puddle jumper even though they were below the weight requirement, if I remember right?
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    i doubt we'll use them. i've seen too many kids get reliant on them and be too nervous to try to swim without them. i also don't like that they seem to promote 'vertical swimming'. but if your kid takes lessons or is cool with going in without them, i don't see the problem. 
  • Options

We have this for Cruz. He has taken beginner swimming lessons and knows how to find the edge of the pool and can pull himself out without help. His main issue with swimming is that he isn't buoyant enough yet! 

https://www.swimways.com/power-swimr-medium-p-18.aspx

It keeps the arms free so the child still learns to move them, and has adjustable pads to change level of floatation.  Cruz can still swim horizontally with it on (not just bob around vertically). 

• Options

We had this for Lila before she felt comfortable swimming without pads and I love it too!  Not adjustable, but keeps the child buoyant (even more so than the vest above) without restricting the ability to swim horizontally.

https://www.swimways.com/sea-squirts-swim-assist-medium-p-235.aspx

• Options
    Eastie156Eastie156 member
    edited July 2014

They are great for the child (E) that runs full speed into the lake when he sees his cousin doing it . E loves them, but has no problem swimming without them, which includes kicking, splashing and blowing bubbles. He started swim lessons early on, at 6 months, so he has no fear of the water at all (see runs full speed into the lake) They are coast guard approved and seemed to be a better fit for us than others, like life jackets, which E hated around his neck.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    AKB090609 said:
    OMG @watercolor5‌ the siggy! So so cute!
    OMG, seriously! So adorable!

• Options

We actually had a Speedo lifejacket like thing we used. It is SO hard to get DS out of it when wet. We went to a pool Monday night and every kid there had a Puddle Jumper so off to Target we went Tuesday. We haven't tried it yet but I can see him like it much more when he doesn't need to be peeled out of it every time. MOTY on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"