July 2013 Moms

dh has a question

"What age do kids start needing vitamins? ..that's a good bump question, right?"

:) TIA ladies

Re: dh has a question

• Most children's vitamins say they shouldn't be used on children under 2yo. After that, I figure a multivitamin couldn't hurt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Ur pediatrician can prescribe a multivitamin for infants/kids. Mine did at 7 mo
  • Our pedi told us at 5 months to start to give vitamins. We tried but it upset DD's tummy so we stopped. Have not tried since.
  • We did vitamin drops for DS (Vit. d & a little drop multi) & do the toddler drops for DD (almost 3).

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Our pedi asked if we were giving vitamins yet but when we said no, she didn't say anything sooooo I have no idea. I'm sure he'll be fine for now just eating veggies and fruit. 
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Why not just veggies/fruits?
    yup. Did your DH have a certain vitamin in mind? Because multivitamin pills are not really necessary with a well-balanced diet. 

The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Thanks girls! With such a wide range I think we'll wait till our pedi appt in august to see what doc says!

@theuntaggablek‌ @amparo1981‌
    We try and feed M plenty of fruits and vegetables daily. I know vitamins aren't necessary in a well-balanced diet but as @thegoodpotato‌ said, I figure they can't hurt.

@primrosemama thanks for taking the time to post pics! I'll look into those, thanks!
  • Children need vitamin D here since birth to 4 years old. If their skin is dark (any shade different than milk) then they need it always. I am not milk-white myself so I take vitamin D everyday too. Thanks sun for never visiting here and adding an extra thing to remember every day!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• My DS is a very picky eater so I started him on a multi vitamin with our pedi's permission at 2. DD is a great eater so I will ask our pedi at her 2 year appointment if one is needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • dliz87dliz87 member
    Pedi prescribed us TriVit with fluoride at... 4-6 months?
  • My pediatrician said right now vitamins aren't necessary and neither is fluoride unless you have well water.
  • We had to give P the drops the @PrimRoseMama‌ mentioned when he was BF, but were told to stop when we switched to formula. The pedi didn't say anything about a vitamin at his 1 year appt.
  • No vitamins here for our 3 yr old. Usually the doctor will ask about eating habits. If a child is particularly picky, they might suggest a vitamin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My MIL told me the other day that I should start giving C yogurt every day, and that I should open up capsules of different vitamins and mix them into the yogurt.

She is a little nutty, and her reason for this is that she thinks that Genetically modified foods cannot actually give any nutrients, an that no matter the claim to be organic or whatever, they are still GM.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I mean, it is possible to take a vitamin AND eat fruit/veg. I know, mind blown!!! :P

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• kmvwkmvw member
    At six months, our pedi prescribed a multi vitamin with fluoride. No where up where I live has fluoride in the water so they really recommend this. I add it to her cereal in the morning because it doesn't taste the greatest.

• haddocky said:

My pediatrician said right now vitamins aren't necessary and neither is fluoride unless you have well water.

Thank for the reply, and we do have a well so I will make sure to ask about the fluoride at our 12 month. :)

We do vitamin D drops until the transition from BM to WCM which is D fortified. Unless a deficiency is noted we don't supplement. Pedi should check LO's iron at 1 yr appt and recommend from there.

Thanks, they checked her iron at her 9 month and said it was great. They said it was a 12.9, I think, and the nurse actually said "she's getting plenty of veggies!" :)

My MIL told me the other day that I should start giving C yogurt every day, and that I should open up capsules of different vitamins and mix them into the yogurt.

She is a little nutty, <\b>and her reason for this is that she thinks that Genetically modified foods cannot actually give any nutrients, an that no matter the claim to be organic or whatever, they are still GM.
    My MIL is a little nutty, too. Gotta love em' :)
  • My pedi started B on the PolyViSol vitamins at 12m because his iron was a little low.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"