Special Needs
Options

Dyspraxia?

Does anyone have experience with this? My DD's SLP brought it up and since then I've done a bit of research on it. It sounds like something my DD could possibly have. She suffers from most of the symptoms. I asked my DD's PT about it and she said "yes, I could see her having dyspraxia, but it's not something that really gets diagnosed". I understand that there's no cure for this and the treatment for it is therapy (OT, speech and PT)...which she's already in. I just worry about when she's in school (she starts preschool in November). I don't You're his only advocate!want goals to be set that she can't physically meet.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dyspraxia?

• Options
    Sorry. The bottom is confusing. I must have pasted a part from another thread I was replying to. I don't know how to fix it from my iPhone
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    EmAreEmAre member
    My daughter was dx with dyspraxia at 3 (now 4.5).

Having the official dx has helped her team come up with a united way to focus on her delays. It has also supported our requests for increasing therapy frequency and helps give "cause" to her tendency to regress, therefore requiring summer services.

Best of luck. At first, it was a confusing dx to hear. But having that dx (along with some others) has really helped obtain and keep services.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    abs05abs05 member

We never got an official diagnosis of dyspraxia, but we did hear oral apraxia, verbal apraxia, and limb apraxia. I'm pretty sure she did/does have dyspraxia.  It just explains everything like why it was such hard work to figure out how to hold a pencil, swim, speak, etc. 

She's always done great in school. She did a MDO program one day a week starting at 18 months and last year we bumped it up to 3 days a week.  She loves it.  She didn't really start to talk at school until after her third birthday, but by the end of the school year she was getting in trouble for talking to a friend during naptime. I think school helped her just as much as OT and ST did, so don't be nervous!

Now at almost 4 she is doing great. The apraxia is still there, but you have to look for it. She still gets articulation therapy through the school district but has been released from private therapy.  Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"