April 2013 Moms
Options

Permanent Birth Control

Just because it's on my mind and it's so slow around here...

What do you think of a permanent birth control options, as in tubal ligation or vasectomy? Do you plan to get one when you know you are done? Have you or your H already taken the plunge? How did you come to make the decision? Do you still feel good about your choice?

Re: Permanent Birth Control

• Options
    So after our surprise baby #3 my H has been excitedly talking about "getting fixed" as he puts it. I had a c-section so it would have been easy enough for me to get my tubes tied but I wasn't comfortable with it. It don't feel like I necessarily want another baby but I can't say with 100% certainty that I would completely rule it out. TBH though, I don't know how much of my reluctance is due to keeping the option of a fourth open if circumstances were right or the fact that I'm sad that the pregnancy/new baby phase of our life will be over.

As of right now the plan is he'll get snipped some time this fall. He's waiting until work slows down. I just had an IUD placed, partially because I wanted a hormone-free birth control and condoms didn't work for us last time and partially in the hopes that H puts off the big V. It's just so, well, permanent.
  • Options
    We'll do a vasectomy when we're done. But probably not until 5ish years after our last just to make sure we don't change our mind.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kate_CKate_C member
    Probably will do a vasectomy when we're sure we're done. IUD for now. By the time that expires, I'll be 40 and too old for more babies anyhow.

And did I miss your birth announcement/photos of the new baby @AnnieJar‌ ?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The idea of anything permanent scares me...maybe because we want at least one more for now. In a few years, I may feel differently. However, it will have to be DH getting the V because I don't see myself ever getting my tubes tied.

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Options
    When we're for sure done H will get a V...I figure for the last 10 or so years I have been in charge of BC, its his turn.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm having my tubes tied after this c section. If I wasn't having a cs then dh would have a V but since they are in there already and it doesn't add any recovery tkme, I'll do it -- I don't want more kids and I loathe birth control and am positive we wouldn't be responsible with condoms :-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Neither one of us will do anything permanent to stop the potential of future children. We are of the mindset that it is God's will. After struggling with not getting pregnant between these two (DS is almost 10 and DD is 15 months), we have definitely subscribed to "let go and let God." That said, there are no plans (right now anyway) for another baby.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH and I finally had "the talk" about being done or trying for one more and we decided we are done. DH will probably be getting a vasectomy soon. It feels weird to make it so "final"- being done having babies but vasectomies are reversible. It's sad to be done with that phase but it will be nice to put the newborn days behind us.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    H will get a vasectomy after #2 comes. Not immediately, but probably by the start of summer next year.

~10.23.10 - Mr&Mrs ~ 04.12.13 - Daddy&Mommy~

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Baby GIRL #2 is due Jan. 7, 2015!

• Options
    JollyWife said:

DH and I finally had "the talk" about being done or trying for one more and we decided we are done. DH will probably be getting a vasectomy soon. It feels weird to make it so "final"- being done having babies but vasectomies are reversible.

Wait, you mean they're NOT reversible, right?

We want 1-2 more. I'll probably get an iud once we think we're done, and when we decide we're sure dh will get a vasectomy.
    Technically they are reversible although there isn't a 100% success rate for undoing them. My OB said you should really only go that route if you are sure you don't want anymore children. I think the fact that technically a vasectomy is reversible while a tubal is not (especially the way they do them if you have it done as part of a c-section) is why I'm slightly more comfortable with H getting it done rather than me.
  • Options
    Grace0609 said:

H got the old Snipper-oo. He actually informed me last weekend that it was the one year anniversary of his vasectomy. Weirdo.

How long would you recommend dh take off of work to have his done?? He has a very physically active job. Has to be able to run, etc. We were thinking if having him get it a few weeks after baby is born and maybe taking five days? Does that sound dumb?

I'd say for a normal guy 5 days would be plenty. H had some complications and literally did not lift either kid for 10 days (Ava at 2.5 and mila at 3 months). I was ready to go cuckoo and I'm still not sure if he was over reacting or whether he got a botched job.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

H got the old Snipper-oo. He actually informed me last weekend that it was the one year anniversary of his vasectomy. Weirdo.

Don't answer this if it feels too personal but my Hs coworkers husband recently had a vasectomy. He told his wife that he had to have X amount of orgasms to empty his system out before he went back for the all clear. Like they literally were keeping a tally. This kind of sounds like a sham to me like the husband is just trying to get more action out of his wife. But maybe I'm wrong and it's real?
  • Options
    AnnieJar said:
    Don't answer this if it feels too personal but my Hs coworkers husband recently had a vasectomy. He told his wife that he had to have X amount of orgasms to empty his system out before he went back for the all clear. Like they literally were keeping a tally. This kind of sounds like a sham to me like the husband is just trying to get more action out of his wife. But maybe I'm wrong and it's real?

H's doctor gave him a number of orgasms OR a time frame. I can't remember the details of either. I know the time elapsed before he met the orgasm requirement though. So I guess he must have been in pain ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

AnnieJar said:

H's doctor gave him a number of orgasms OR a time frame. I can't remember the details of either. I know the time elapsed before he met the orgasm requirement though. So I guess he must have been in pain ;)

Yeah a dude I know never got this advice -- he was single and went around screwing everything that moved thinking he was shooting blanks... And then heard about this. It was years ago and no babies that he knows of but yikes.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    A friend of ours had one, he told DH its 20 Os to make sure you're shooting blanks.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Kate_CKate_C member
    Jdubb13 said:

I'm getting an IUD at my 6 week post op appointment and as long as we haven't changed our minds DH will get a vasectomy.

Edit: typing with no sleep is hard.

Having 2 kids under age 2 is also effective birth control all by itself.
  • Options
    Kate_C said:

Jdubb13 said:

I'm getting an IUD at my 6 week post op appointment and as long as we haven't changed our minds DH will get a vasectomy.

Edit: typing with no sleep is hard.

Having 2 kids under age 2 is also effective birth control all by itself.
    Hahahaha! I'm beginning to think that this is true!

• Options
    DH just got a vasectomy in June. If we didn't have twins this time, we probably wouldn't have bothered since I'm supposedly infertile. But 3 is plenty for us. I'm also going to be 40 this year, and don't have any desire to be pg again. If we change our minds later, we'll go the adoption route like we did with our oldest. But I truly don't see it happening.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    kgs0505 said:

DH just got a vasectomy in June. If we didn't have twins this time, we probably wouldn't have bothered since I'm supposedly infertile. But 3 is plenty for us. I'm also going to be 40 this year, and don't have any desire to be pg again. If we change our minds later, we'll go the adoption route like we did with our oldest. But I truly don't see it happening.

"Supposedly infertile" led to lots of "oops second and third babies" , post IVF, in my aging group of friends...

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"