September 2012 Moms
Options

How to rent a vacation house

I remember a couple people mentioned websites they use to rent vacation houses- I think @hmp1 has used some?  I can't for the life of me remember what they were, or find that thread. 

Also, if you rent a house or condo, do you usually have to stay a full week or more?  FWIW, we're looking at Hilton Head, SC in September, though probably only for 4-5 days.  Thanks!

Re: How to rent a vacation house

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited July 2014
    VRBO.com

Read the reviews, but I have never had a bad experience. The owners set the rules on their minimum stay. We usually stay for less than a week. Even if they say they require a week, look at the calendar and if they have a lot of availability, ask them for the smaller date range you want.

I have even been able to negotiate with some of the owners the couple times we had a last minute booking. But if you need something very specific or are looking in an area with limited houses that fit your needs, do not wait to book just for the chance of a discount.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    We just used vrbo to book a house in Florida. We will be staying for 2 weeks. Homeaway and vrbo are owned by the same company, so they share a lot of the same houses. I like vrbo's website better for some reason though!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are renting in OBX & used a local rental realty site. Most houses were 7 day rentals. We submitted a deposit & signed the contract electronically. You could invite people via email into your online account so they can make payments. This was helpful for us bc we are renting with my family.

When we get there, we check in with the realty company to pick up the keys.

• Options
    vrbo, homeaway and flipkey are the ones that I've used. As others have said, the minimum stay depends on the owner, but I've many times been able to negotiate a shorter stay, especially if they aren't fully booked. I would also be sure to pay attention to what the cleaning fee is since it can vary considerably between rentals.
  • Options
    Ditto all of the above. And we always do shorter stays--I just ask if they're flexible. The less likely they are to book up, the more flexible they are.

Also...if you get a response asking you to pay by money order, run far, far away. There are a lot of scams going on where people hack into the accounts and ask for money for a rental that's not theirs. Always call the owner's number listed on the site at least once during the process for confirmation.
  • Options
    vrbo, homeaway and flipkey are the ones that I've used. As others have said, the minimum stay depends on the owner, but I've many times been able to negotiate a shorter stay, especially if they aren't fully booked. I would also be sure to pay attention to what the cleaning fee is since it can vary considerably between rentals.
    I noticed the cleaning fees can really up the price... some places seem to include them in the listed price, and others tack them on, but they're often the price of a night's stay.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"