September 2012 Moms

Something you swore you'd never buy

melody921melody921 member
edited July 2014 in September 2012 Moms
So the longer I'm a parent, the more I find myself becoming lax about purchases I previously would have considered ridiculous. I'm actually pondering getting this for DD's birthday:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Something you swore you'd never buy

• I buy ridiculous things all the time.  I love infomercials and all the weird crap they sell at the State Fair.  I own Oxyclean, Mighty Putty, and tap lights.  I have no idea what else I've bought from infomercials.  From State Fair I've of course bought the wonder mop, & a stupid cheese grater/mill thing I have maybe used once.

There's stuff for kids/babies I said I'll never buy such as the Nose Frieda and I'm sticking with that. You people can swear all you want to that it's awesome.  I love the nasal bulb thingy.  Works perfect for us.  

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I buy ridiculous things all the time.  I love infomercials and all the weird crap they sell at the State Fair.  I own Oxyclean, Mighty Putty, and tap lights.  I have no idea what else I've bought from infomercials.  From State Fair I've of course bought the wonder mop, & a stupid cheese grater/mill thing I have maybe used once.

There's stuff for kids/babies I said I'll never buy such as the Nose Frieda and I'm sticking with that. You people can swear all you want to that it's awesome.  I love the nasal bulb thingy.  Works perfect for us.  

Oxyclean FTW. Love it.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Loading the player...
  • I swear I'll never buy DS a trampoline. Like a big kid backyard trampoline. I've heard to many horror stories from FB friends of kids getting injured on them. One of my classmates son's recently broke his femur on theirs. No thanks!

• melody921 said:
    So the longer I'm a parent, the more I find myself becoming lax about purchases I previously would have considered ridiculous. I'm actually pondering getting this for DD's birthday:

Our neighbors have one of these. It is actually really small in real life. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh

I hate the Nose Freida so much. What a stupid item.

• melody921 said:

I've seen it before bc the toddler gym near us has one.

• melody921 said:

I buy ridiculous things all the time.  I love infomercials and all the weird crap they sell at the State Fair.  I own Oxyclean, Mighty Putty, and tap lights.  I have no idea what else I've bought from infomercials.  From State Fair I've of course bought the wonder mop, & a stupid cheese grater/mill thing I have maybe used once.

:0 That's supposed to be a shocked face!

I keep saying I don't want a house with a pool, but now I'm seeing houses I like that have pools!

I also said I wouldn't succumb to the camo trend, then bought a shirt with camo only to decide I was right that it doesn't look good on me nor is it my style.
  • I swore I'd never buy every brand of sippie, pacifier, and bottle known to baby.  Jokes on me. 
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    melody921 said:

Bounce U has this and my kids love it. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I couldn't think of anything but do agree with some things listed.

Big backyard trampoline. Unless for some reason we ever do an inground one. I do think they can be dangerous but more I just don't like the look of them.

I don't really shop where there is character clothing but did buy the boys Dukes of Hazzard shirts while at the DoH museum. I'm sure if we go to Disney while they are young, we will get Disney shirts while there.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I was thinking video monitor when I clicked on the post. I think I'll go electronic baby toys. I was all over wooden and quiet toys. Oh well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • melody921 said:
    I buy ridiculous things all the time.  I love infomercials and all the weird crap they sell at the State Fair.  I own Oxyclean, Mighty Putty, and tap lights.  I have no idea what else I've bought from infomercials.  From State Fair I've of course bought the wonder mop, & a stupid cheese grater/mill thing I have maybe used once.

I love that thing!! DS hates it, but it really gets the boogs better than a regular suction bulb.

• melody921 said:

@melody921 my neighbor has that and it's awesome.  Every kid on the block loves from 2 years old to 10 years old.   They make a higher one and she wishes she had that one and I'm scouring garage sales/BST lists for it.  Dooooooo   EEEETTTT!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• melody921 said:

Yeah, there's a bigger one that's probably better!

• A minivan and I'm sticking to that. No way. Tv's for their rooms, but that hasn't come up so far.
    Ooo, add me to the list of these two also!  We are a one car family and right now the car we have is a Sonata.  I told DH in 3 years when we buy another car because DD is not in daycare anymore we can get some sort of 3 row SUV (the 2013 Santa Fe is 3 row) so we can cart friends around with us, but no minivan, LOL!   

I also am against TVs in their room and am making them a play area/TV room just outside both of their rooms (they are side by side) in our 2nd floor loft area - so any TV watching will be just outside of their rooms but in a public area that you can see right when you come up the stairs.  

• haha, DH and I can't WAIT until we buy a minivan.  We dream of it.

• MommaP12 said:
    A minivan and I'm sticking to that. No way. Tv's for their rooms, but that hasn't come up so far.
    Ooo, add me to the list of these two also!  We are a one car family and right now the car we have is a Sonata.  I told DH in 3 years when we buy another car because DD is not in daycare anymore we can get some sort of 3 row SUV (the 2013 Santa Fe is 3 row) so we can cart friends around with us, but no minivan, LOL!   

I also am against TVs in their room and am making them a play area/TV room just outside both of their rooms (they are side by side) in our 2nd floor loft area - so any TV watching will be just outside of their rooms but in a public area that you can see right when you come up the stairs.  
    My Mazda CX-9 is three rows, and it's awesome! Add me to the no minivan list.

• MommaP12 said:
    melody921 said:

@melody921 my neighbor has that and it's awesome.  Every kid on the block loves from 2 years old to 10 years old.   They make a higher one and she wishes she had that one and I'm scouring garage sales/BST lists for it.  Dooooooo   EEEETTTT!  
    Is the bigger one the extreme? https://www.step2.com/p/Extreme-Coaster?gclid=CIjBrPT66r8CFcZQ7AodaywAdw I'm not so sure I can commit to one that big, lol.

• A minivan and I'm sticking to that. No way. Tv's for their rooms, but that hasn't come up so far.

Ah, I forgot about this. I'll drive a wagon, but never a mini-van. No offense to anyone who drives one, but I hate them. With a passion.

• I will never understand how 2 kids necessitates a minivan.  We bought a larger car to accommodate 2 and it's plenty big.  My SIL has not stopped commenting on how stupid it was that we didn't buy a van.  DH and I each commute roughly 35mi each way to work.  Having a van would be even dumber for us in terms of gas.  That's why I'm against them more than anything else. 

This could probably be traced back to the other "baby necessities" thread.  I swear I think kids/babies need around 60% less stuff than everyone else does.  We're all about improvising in our family.  

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• melody921 said:
    MommaP12 said:
    melody921 said:

Is the bigger one the extreme? https://www.step2.com/p/Extreme-Coaster?gclid=CIjBrPT66r8CFcZQ7AodaywAdw I'm not so sure I can commit to one that big, lol.
    Woah, it requires a helmet.  Yeah, maybe not, LOL!

• I will never understand how 2 kids necessitates a minivan.  We bought a larger car to accommodate 2 and it's plenty big.  My SIL has not stopped commenting on how stupid it was that we didn't buy a van.  DH and I each commute roughly 35mi each way to work.  Having a van would be even dumber for us in terms of gas.  That's why I'm against them more than anything else. 

This could probably be traced back to the other "baby necessities" thread.  I swear I think kids/babies need around 60% less stuff than everyone else does.  We're all about improvising in our family.  
    I feel this way too.  With DS we had everything, with DD, I changed her diaper on the floor or bed, no changing table and made do with so many less items.  It's just not necessary.

I have a brand new Ergo that I never used and probably never will.  I got for $89 from Mamabargains and will probably try to sell it for $50 if I get up the courage to give in to never needing it.  Never used ever.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I will never understand how 2 kids necessitates a minivan.  We bought a larger car to accommodate 2 and it's plenty big.  My SIL has not stopped commenting on how stupid it was that we didn't buy a van.  DH and I each commute roughly 35mi each way to work.  Having a van would be even dumber for us in terms of gas.  That's why I'm against them more than anything else. 

We upgraded to a 3rd row with captain chairs in the middle because we were sick of having to take 2 cars anytime someone else road with us. We have already started letting James invite a friend to go with us places. And it is nice when DH's Mom or Dad come to visit we don't have to take two cars everywhere we go. Or when we go on outings with my parents.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1 said:
    I will never understand how 2 kids necessitates a minivan.  We bought a larger car to accommodate 2 and it's plenty big.  My SIL has not stopped commenting on how stupid it was that we didn't buy a van.  DH and I each commute roughly 35mi each way to work.  Having a van would be even dumber for us in terms of gas.  That's why I'm against them more than anything else. 

We upgraded to a 3rd row with captain chairs in the middle because we were sick of having to take 2 cars anytime someone else road with us. We have already started letting James invite a friend to go with us places. And it is nice when DH's Mom or Dad come to visit we don't have to take two cars everywhere we go. Or when we go on outings with my parents.
    This.  We actually have a 3rd row but because we have a carseat in the seat that flips up, it's pretty inconvenient (we didn't have kids when we bought the vehicle, so I didn't think about it then).  I actually kinda wish we had a minivan, but we're not upgrading any vehicles anytime soon.  Or at least a SUV w/ captain chairs & a 3rd row.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• @hmp1 is your captain's seat/3rd row vehicle a minivan or SUV?

@melody921, good call on the CX9 - my aunt has one and it's awesome.  I'm sure by the time we look for a car in 3 years will have a few options to consider beyond the Pilot, CX9, and SantaFe, but luckily those are all great manufacturers.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    edited July 2014
    Acadia @MommaP12

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• You can definitely get by without a mini van with 2 kids, but we plan on 3 and we also have a 90 lbs german shepherd.  I want a vehicle where I can take my entire family and dog on a trip.  Or pick up a couple from the airport.  Or let each of the kids take a friend out for ice cream (in a few years.)  Right now the honda accord sedan is not cutting it, though we'll hold off as long as possible to avoid a car payment.  I just don't have an "I'm not a mini van person" kind of aversion to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"