July 2013 Moms

WWJ13D... flight ticket for LO

So I am one of those who travels with lap infants, however this time I will be flying solo with LO (13 months by then) all the way from Amsterdam to Mexico City (11.5 hours)... I called KLM just to ask about the price for an extra ticket for LO, it would be 600 euro both ways, we paid 700 euro for the adult ticket, so basically it's the same!

Situation is: I travel with LO by myself, then DH arrives a week later and we all come back together. Last time we traveled overseas with LO on the lap and it wasn't a big deal because we were taking turns. But now I have no idea how I will be able to eat, feed him or sleep with him on my lap the whole time... mostly eating and feeding him is my 'issue'. On the other hand, he doesn't love to be on the car seat either, he handles around 45 min and then starts screaming bloody murder.

KLM went ahead and made the reservation for me (how sweet of them!) and I have 72 hours to confirm and pay. Basically I am afraid for paying en extra seat and end up with a lap infant anyways!

NB: TAKING THE CAR SEAT TO THE GATE AND HOPING THAT AN EXTRA SEAT WILL BE AVAILABLE IS NOT POSSIBLE WITH THIS SWEET BABY-FRIENDLY AIRLINE. They give available seat to VIPs, which of course I am not.

WWJ13D?

TLDR: Traveling with 13mo, alone, 11.5 hour flight, 2 options: 1) LO on lap, or 2) Pay 600 euro (almost full-fare) for an extra seat that he may end up not using anyways but may give mom a bit of extra space and peaceful eating.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
*Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

Re: WWJ13D... flight ticket for LO

• I haven't flown with a LO but I think having the extra room would be worth it for that long of a flight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For that long, and alone, I'd pay the price for the seat. I just did a much shorter trip, had help and was mentally paying for the seat for next time. It would also depend for me what time of day the flight is. If it cuts into bedtime then that would do it for me 100%.
    @Butternut87 It does cut through bed time, it will go from 2.30 PM to 1.50 AM... I think he will be sleeping from around 9:00 PM and until we get there O.O 
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• Loading the player...
  • I won definitely get the extra seat. I could never imagine trying to keep a toddler on my lap for that long.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • That long of a flight by myself, I would want the extra seat. Can you only book one way for LO, since your DH will be with you on the flight back?
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We always book an extra seat since the only time we fly is with long flights. My kids like the comfort of their familiar car seat and also will sleep better that way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• SMac85SMac85 member
    For that long I would definitely buy an extra seat. We started buying DS1 his own seat when he was 16 months, out of convenience. It really does make it easier when they are more mobile.
    photo 3dcc1df8-8755-401b-b56e-15712e9fb0c0_zps92b14273.jpg
    Matteo 08/02/2011 Cruz 06/19/2013

BabyFruit Ticker

• KLM has bassinets on intercontinental flights, they call them carrycots. That could be an option to look into.

• I'd buy the ticket--for me it would be worth it to give my arms a break. We bought DS1 a ticket when we went to Hawaii when he was 17 months--we did hold him for a little bit but he sat and napped in there quite a bit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @jennipalmer we used a carrycot last year when he was 5mo... now he is well over the weight and height limit :( 

• Just a personal experience: I flew KLM in January when I was pumping. It was long flights so I was going to have to pump on the plane. I asked at the gate if there were any seats with an empty seat next to it so I put pump in my seat with a nursing cover and my request was granted each leg of the flight. I'm pretty sure I'm not a VIP.
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • missymr said:

I'd get the extra seat for the extra space.
    Even if LO spends most of the flight on you it gives you somewhere to put him down to get out snacks, or diapers or just for a short break.

We just flew a 2.5 hr flight and I would have really struggled if I was alone without an extra seat.

Yep, the space alone is worth the fare. 600 euros hurts my soul. #:-S

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'd buy the ticket and save my sanity. 11 hours is a long ass time to hold a toddler and 11 hours is a long time to have to sit next to someone trying to hold a toddler.

My thoughts exactly!
  • Ok ladies, I'll think a bit more about it. 600 euro is really a lot of money but maybe worth it... (we can do a 1-week family trip with that money next year! so I am a bit willing to suffer 11 hours in order to get some family off-time... I am so confused!

@martyn17 you give me hope, I will still ask for a free seat at the gate (even at check-in I will see if I can  select a seat that is in an empty row) but I won't take the car-seat with me, we can still use the extra space and he is so tall that he can sit comfortably in a seat while we both eat, then come back to snuggle with me....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"