2nd Trimester

Baby sharing room with toddler!

I have a 1 year old son. He'll be 19 months when my daughter is born. I saw some great ideas on pinterest for baby boy and girl sharing rooms. I have a 2 bedroom apt and no money to move right now. I was wondering if anyone else has tried having babies share a room and how did it work out ?

Re: Baby sharing room with toddler!

• I assume you will keep the baby with you for the first few months until she is sleeping better so I don't think this will be an issue.  My LOs are 19.5 mos apart and while they do not share a room normally they do whenever we sleep away from home and did while we lived with my parents for 2 months this spring.  They did fine.  Also, I have a boy and girl.  Not an issue.  
  • BeevolBeevol member
    We're planning to have our daughters share a room (after that first 2-3 months of constant night waking/breastfeeding during which LO will sleep in my room). 

DH and his brother are 23 months apart and shared a room until DH went to college - the only one of his siblings who didn't share a room until he moved out was the youngest. And, my best friend shared a room with her older sister until the sister went to college, then they went to the same school and were roommates again! 

A brother and sister probably can't comfortably share a room through High School, but until the older one starts getting closer to puberty, I don't see an issue with it. I'd say you have a solid 5 years of room sharing possible to you at least, and even then your boy will only be 7. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Our baby will be sharing a room with our DS2 (who will be almost 2) for a little while before we officially move. I am just doing a pack n play since it (should) be very temporary. I am nervous about it but my DS2 is a really laid back kid and sleeps great. Hopefully they do well together.
  • DD is 5 we have her the option of giving up her play room or sharing a room when LO turned 1. She wants to share a room with her little sis. Who knew. I don't think it will be an issue for you.
  • We kept my second in our room until he was sleeping a little better, so about 7mos or so and then my boys shared a room. My first is a pretty hard sleeper so it worked out really well. We are now in a 3 bedroom house and gave my oldest the option of having his own room and he refused. They love sharing.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • All three of mine share a room currently and have from the beginning.  We made the other bedroom a playroom.  We just kept the baby in with us until he was about 6 months old.  Someone wakes up in the middle of the night every night for various reasons and it does not wake or bother the others.  It will be totally fine!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My sister and I were older when we shared a room - 12 and 6 - but it was actually kind of fun. We spent a lot of time together in the family areas of the house during the day anyway, so it was just basically sleeping. We moved into a house when I was 14 and I got my own room, which was probably a good thing. 

But I think little ones might actually like the company :) Like others have said, I wouldn't put them together right away. Wait until the baby is sleeping more through the night.
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"