Breastfeeding

Breast Pump Questions

Hello ladies. I am sure you all get tons of people who just drop in for a quick question, but I am no different. I am a FTM and I am due in November. I am looming into breast pumps and have decided to go with the Medela Pump In Stye. However I have a few questions....

1. Is there a difference between the Metro bag/tote/backpack? They are all styled as containing the pump in style, but was not sure if there was a difference or not
2. I know insurance will cover a pump and if I remember correctly (I will call again tomorrow) my insurance said they will cover up to a 1000.00 once deductible is met and I've already met mine for the year. So I know that is enough to cover the pump but I am wondering if I can get some of the accessories covered as well? Has anyone been successful in getting those covered too?

Thank you ladies for your answers in advance.
******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
 PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

Re: Breast Pump Questions

• I don't think there's a difference between the bags (besides the bag).  The PISA that I got through insurance did not come with a bag.  I think that's becoming more and more common with insurance issued pumps.  I believe my insurance issued PISA came with two bottles.  Something else to check into with insurance is if they cover renting a hospital grade pump.  I own 3 different Medela pumps and each one definitely has its own pros and cons.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got a PISA through insurance too. It did not come with a bag abd only had 2 bottles. I had to order from a DME supplier for it to be covered.

• Loading the player...
  • My insurance lets you purchase on your own and the reimburse. The tote has the pump built in to the bad , while the metro bag has a pump you can remove. I don't know anything about the backpack. I like the metro bag (removeable one) for home because it's small and easy to move around. I like the tote bag for work because I don't have to pull the pump out to get it set up... Just put the bag on the table, unzip the front, and go.

• I think every insurance would be different about supplies. I do know that you can get a tax break on the supplies purchase, but I don't know much more than that.

I've had the opportunity to try both the shoulder bag and backpack PISA and they are the same in terms of what it includes. I prefer the shoulder bag because I can stuff more items in there whereas the backpack I have to zip it up so I can't cram as much stuff. My sister liked the backpack more because she was often carrying 5 bags at once and it was easier for her to have a backpack as opposed to one more bag to sling over her shoulder.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • Congrats on your pregnancy. My insurance didn't give me a choice on which bag. Mine came in the tan bag with a cooler compartment and everything I needed came with it. Not sure if you buy your own and get reimbursed? If so, don't most of them come with all needed accessories? I don't think they are going to pay for extras.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • It looks like everyone's insurance is a little different. I also got the PISA through my insurance and it was delivered to me right at the hospital from a local medical supplier. My PISA did not come with a bag (I'm just using a bag I had at home). It did come with two bottles, one nipple, and at least one extra membrane/valve. And, I've called Medela with troubleshooting issues and they've sent me new parts for free (membranes/valves and tubing). I think they really stand by their product. I do wish that I had registered for Medela bottles instead of Avent-- that way I could just pump right into them and not have to transfer milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• FishyMomFishyMom member
    edited July 2014
    rds51510 said:

It looks like everyone's insurance is a little different. I also got the PISA through my insurance and it was delivered to me right at the hospital from a local medical supplier. My PISA did not come with a bag (I'm just using a bag I had at home). It did come with two bottles, one nipple, and at least one extra membrane/valve. And, I've called Medela with troubleshooting issues and they've sent me new parts for free (membranes/valves and tubing). I think they really stand by their product. I do wish that I had registered for Medela bottles instead of Avent-- that way I could just pump right into them and not have to transfer milk.

@rds51510 Did you try the Avent converter?  I was planning on using Avent bottles (if DD likes them) and pumping into those when necessary.  Is that a crazy plan?  I hope not..   :-/
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Wow! I didn't know there was a converter! Off to google now...
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• rds51510 said:
    Wow! I didn't know there was a converter! Off to google now...

I use Born Free bottles and bought an adapter for it. I love it because then I'm using less bags to store the milk when it's only milk for the next day.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • I just got a PISA through insurance. Had to pay part though because insurance only covers a single electric pump and to get a double you pay the difference. Which is a totally bogus way for insurance to be claiming to meet ACA requirements since pumping at work with a single would mean double-length breaks and how many employers will allow that ? But whatever, better than no coverage. I had to get the backpack because that's all the local in-network supplier had in stock. According to the manual the metro bag comes with 27 mm breast shields (along with 24s) and one other extra thing I forget what that the tote and backpack don't. Insurance person said if I need additional parts or durable items (including more bottles) it should be covered if I get from in-network dealer but bags for freezer storage are considered consumable so aren't covered. Each insurance company/policy has different coverage, though. The pump is really built into the backpack which I'm not crazy about since it means you can't properly wash the bag (I feel likely to do something really smooth like drop it in a muddy/salty midwinter slush puddle) but oh well. If you have a choice I'd suggest getting one where pump comes out of the bag.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"