April 2013 Moms

No weight gain since 12 month appt

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some encouragement and advice. I just had my daughter's 15 month well visit and she hasn't gained any weight and didn't gain enough height to stay on her curve. She's very petite, and I thought she was doing pretty well with eating, but now I'm second guessing. We started blw at 6 months and she eats many of the typical higher calorie healthy foods... Avocado, wcm yogurt, almond and peanut butter. The dr wants me to increase her calorie intake and have her weighed again in 6 weeks. I still nurse 6 plus times a day and she drinks roughly 4-6 oz wcm. I know breastmilk has similar if not more calories than wcm, but I'm wondering if I should cut down on nursing to get her to eat more? I'm questioning all the healthy choices I thought I was making... Help!
~Eme's mama, SAHM, BF, BLW, CD~

Re: No weight gain since 12 month appt

• Kate_CKate_C member
    Does she get plenty of solid foods? If she's eating well, she might just be burning it all off through activity and growing. How much did they expect her to gain to stay on her curve?

My 15 month old eats more than my 2.5 year old. And sometimes more than me I think. But she's still pretty little - guessing she had barely cracked 20 lbs (appt Thursday). She might be in a growth spurt and plump up when that settles. Just continue to feed her well and trust your instincts!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Remember that the World Health Organization recommends BFing until age 2! So good job with the BFing! Does she get the typical 3 meals plus snacks during the day, or are BF sessions counting as "meals"?
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Loading the player...
  • James barely gained any weight in between 12 and 15 months. Doc was not concerned.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't think Leif gained much either, but he eats all the time!! He did get a bit taller. If your LO is eating healthy foods and milk, I'm sure you're fine!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• They definitely slow down with gaining at this point. My DD weighed just over 17 pounds (1%) at her 12 month appointment and I would guess she is in the 18 pound range now. She eats more than my 6 year old who is good size. Her pedi isn't worried. I was tiny and my ds was tiny at her age. As long as she is growing and developing normally in others ways besides weight, it may be about her build and activity level. I am also still BF'ing a lot and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
  • I wouldn't cut back on the nursing--as you said, BM has more calories than most other foods. It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things with the high calorie nutritious solids and the BM. My son eats like a horse and only gained 1 pound 11 ounces between 12 and 15 months. The only advice I'd give is to consciously offer solid-food snacks between meals if you're not already doing that. As PP said, activity/growth may just mean she's burning more calories right now.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Thanks everyone! I was doing 3 solid meals and a snack to two a day, but will definitely make sure I give her 2 snacks or more everyday. She's a pretty good eater, which is why I was so shocked that she hadn't gained. She has been very active crawling and cruising though, and I imagine that's probably a main reason she hasn't gained. Thanks for the encouragement... The pedi didn't recommend cutting back nursing unless I want to, but adding more foods high in calories.
    ~Eme's mama, SAHM, BF, BLW, CD~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"