September 2012 Moms
Options

What does your LO know?

This may just bum me out and I know every child develops at a different rate, but what does your child know as far as numbers, colors, shapes, etc?
DD still doesn't talk much so it's hard to tell what she actually knows..Maybe once she starts talking, I'll realize she knows her colors and everything else. But when I say "can you put the blue block away?" it's hit or miss on whether or not she does the blue one..I just hope she's not behind, but again, I'm not really worried..more curious..
Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What does your LO know?

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited July 2014
    Leo can match colors really well but if I just point and ask what color something is, he will say Yellow 75% of the time, the other 25% he gets right. And those are usually repeat, not the first time I have asked what color that object is. If I ask him to pick up the blue car, it really just depends on his mood if he feels like playing that kind of game with me or if he just wants to line up his cars.

He can kind of sing his abcs. He jumbles the middle and the end pretty bad. He doesn't recognize letters yet. I can't point to a letter and have him tell me what it is.

Counts to 10 but usually leaves out 4. He can recognize a few numbers, 1-3 are usually a hit when I ask.

I don't really do shapes with him. I know the school does but I have no clue what he can recognize. I know, like the colors he can match shapes just not sure what he can vocalize on the spot.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Ethan can say numbers in the right order and say the alphabet, but he doesn't really understand the concept, if that makes sense. It's more just straight memorization and repetition. He is starting to get colors and maybe one or two shapes, but he is only very consistent in identifying one or two.

Mobile
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nancy can count to 6 but skips 4 almost every time.  She loves to count things on the pages of books and if you ask her "How many elephants are on that page?" she'll count them out.

She knows a lot of  colors--red, green, orange, white, black, brown, purple, pink, & yellow.  She has this fish puzzle and loves to say the colors, and then put them in the right spots then say "Mommy, where green?" and if I point somewhere else, she'll go "NO WAY!" https://www.puzzlewarehouse.com/Peg-Puzzle-Fish-Colors-Mix-n-Match-3268md.html?caid=93 

She doesn't know any ABC's.  We haven't gotten that far yet.

I have no idea how many words she's up to now.  I swear it's 1000.  She never stops talking and asking "what dis?" when she doesn't know, then she repeats that a hundred times.  We bought her a few of the Usborn "1,000 things" books...1000 things that go, 1000 animals, & something like 1000 things to spot or spot 1000 things.  I can't remember what that one is called.  They've been amazing and she's reallllllly interested in them and has learned a lot of new words that way.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    I love that A knows the difference between the screw drivers @mnkate!!  That's hilarious.  DH has Nancy trained to bring him tools when he's working on the deck and she'll sit and feed him screws as he goes along.  It's hilarious.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    Lol. My kid knows none of what you all have said. Doc is not worried neither am I.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    DD thinks every color is yellow. Daycare is actually "teaching" green this week, so I'm curious if that will make a difference. She doesn't really count. If I say "1," she will say "2," but she doesn't do it on her own. She doesn't say the ABCs either, and I'm not sure if she knows shapes.

But she is learning more words every day -- most recent additions are: princess, muffin and tiger.
    She can point to body parts correctly, has great receptive language and is ridiculously agile and sure-footed for her size.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    L counts to 10 but misses 8 and loves 7. She has no idea that you "count" things. She knows the ABC song but can't recognize them. I have never tried shapes and she also gets colors if she is in the mood. She is fantastic at following directions and figuring things out. I can ask her for something multiple rooms away and she can get it without a mess (toilet paper for your nose). She says more things than I can count but sucks at playing by herself. She just kinda figured out that shirts don't go on your legs. Oh and she still loves the binky.

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • Options
    dimples12 said:
    Cj loves the number 2, too. Pretty ideal for his birthday. We count steps going to bed, changing, whatever. I count, he says 2 every step. He sings ABCs recognizable by tune and a few letters. No shapes except circle. We aren't working on them. We are working on colors. He says a bunch of them thanks to Spot book but can't really match. He does 90% of his body parts. Cute factor? He says ready, set, go. It's hilarious. He also opens my textbooks and teaches me in nonsense words. Absolutely adorable. He has about 35-50 words I'd guess and just started stringing words together. Much more physical than verbal at this point.
    This is L's favorite thing because it means we will run, push, jump, whatever activity we are doing. She loves that she can 'cue' us and does it all the damn time.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    What do you guys mean when you say that they're much more physical than verbal?  I guess I can't think of anything physical that Nancy can't do short of pedaling a bike or swimming on her own, but I'm guessing there's a lot we haven't exposed her to.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    Sophia knows her colors, both in the "point to the blue one" way, and also the more abstract "which one is blue." 

She's really interested in the ABCs, but says some of the letters and definitely doesn't know all of them.  Sometimes she will bunch letters together and hear words that aren't there, like LMNOP will become "mopey" or something. 

We haven't worked on saying the names of shapes, but she's getting better at putting puzzle pieces in the proper place, and jiggling them to get them to seat, as long as I hand them to her in the proper orientation. 

Her vocabulary is huge- she pretty much has a word for all of the objects she interacts with in her world, and most things she can comprehend.  Almost every time she goes into my bathroom, she asks me what the plunger is, and what it's for, and says the word plunger over and over, which is how I know she doesn't really get what it is.  She can use present, past, and progressive tenses pretty well, though she's referring to herself in the first person now to avoid confusion over which pronoun to use. 

We haven't worked on numbers much either... She won't count to 10 by herself, but she'll say the next number after whichever one you say.  TBH, she learned what she knows of numbers by DH having her count with him while he does pull-ups in the evening.

The kid loves childrens songs.  Anything is easier to learn if we put it to song, and she'll listen to them ad nauseum. 
  • Options
    What do you guys mean when you say that they're much more physical than verbal?  I guess I can't think of anything physical that Nancy can't do short of pedaling a bike or swimming on her own, but I'm guessing there's a lot we haven't exposed her to.
    L can climb anything, run, jump, gallop, do a somersault, walk on a beam, hang from anything, throw & kick a ball with some accuracy, she can pedal a bike but very slowly and gets frustrated and goes back to rocking it, etc. 

She is leaps and bounds more physical than verbal. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    L can climb anything, run, jump, gallop, do a somersault, walk on a beam, hang from anything, throw & kick a ball with some accuracy, she can pedal a bike but very slowly and gets frustrated and goes back to rocking it, etc. 

Ha, yea, i'd say!  She's like a tiny athlete!  

We did a tumbling class this summer and Nancy can do a somersault & walk on the low beam unassisted, but got nervous on the balance beam that was higher up.  But that's about it.  She's excellent at jumping on a trampoline...does that count? ;-)  

thanks for explaining!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options

Ha, yea, i'd say!  She's like a tiny athlete!  

We did a tumbling class this summer and Nancy can do a somersault & walk on the low beam unassisted, but got nervous on the balance beam that was higher up.  But that's about it.  She's excellent at jumping on a trampoline...does that count? ;-)  

thanks for explaining!
    L uses the bed instead. I start singing 1 little monkey... everytime she starts. haha

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    M&M can count to 10 but usually she skips a few numbers and she loves saying the number 5 after every number (1, 5, 2, 5 etc....). She can sing the alphabet and point to and say the letters in her name. She can id a circle a square and a diamond. She loves pointing stuff out in her books and telling us what they are. Her newest thing is giving names to her dolls and stuffed animals.

• Options
    FlamingemuFlamingemu member
    edited July 2014
    plus12012 said:
    M&M can count to 10 but usually she skips a few numbers and she loves saying the number 5 after every number (1, 5, 2, 5 etc....). She can sing the alphabet and point to and say the letters in her name. She can id a circle a square and a diamond. She loves pointing stuff out in her books and telling us what they are. Her newest thing is giving names to her dolls and stuffed animals.
    I love this. I am giggling imagining it.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    It depends on the day, the only thing she knows every single time you ask is the shape 'star' and that pigs go oink.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    I say both my kids are faster on the physical milestones than the verbal ones. Like Leo was jumping before all of the kids in his class, and pushing and gliding on his scooter with one foot months and months before the girl next door that is a month older and plays with the same stuff in our driveway with us almost every day. He has been driving James' big Power Wheels with no problem of steering, stopping, going for a couple months and even some 4 year olds have trouble controlling it. And he just started pedaling on his own this weekend. Before he could pedal if I helped him get started, but now he can do it on his own.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    DD can jump (DS couldn't get both feet off the ground at the same time at this age). She runs fast, climbs high, dances, balances on things. In short, she's part monkey.

• Options

Well DS doesn't know any colours, shapes or letters. If I say 1, he will generally say 2. Everything is blue and usually a blue truck (like dad's!) or if it's red he says "red boat" (like Grandpa's).

However, he can name every tractor and piece of equipment on the farm, all the tools in the tool box and which crops  are sunflowers and canola.

I'm not worried. I don't spend a lot of time drilling numbers and colors into his head so I'm not too worried. He can say most colors but doesn't have a hot clue of what they mean.

• Options
    I feel like I did so much better working with this stuff with keagan than I do Colby.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    Nate knows his colors and can count from 1-10 but skips 3 and 7. He has a really good vocabulary and is saying multiple word sentences. He can Id a triangle and sometimes a circle but we haven't really worked on shapes besides naming them while doing his shape puzzle. He doesn't know his Abcs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Nathan 9-5-12
  • Options
    I'm not into "working" on things in the structured sense, so I'm sure I'm missing things that he knows. Instead we just keep talking about everything we see and read a ton of books and he picks up on a lot. :)

He knows a crazy amount of animals. The latest are slug, grasshopper, mantis bug, panda bear, and snow leopard. 

E knows his colors and likes to describe everything by color. "Drink water yellow cup." "Mama blue hatchback." "Daddy brown shoe." 

He "counts" (recites numbers really) and misses five most of the time. He subtizes pretty well (e.g., immediately looking and saying "two people" or "only one"). 

He knows some letters. It's funny because he calls them letters. "Letter E, mama!" 

For shapes, he definitely knows circle and triangle and sometimes he uses "rectangle" correctly. 

He knows Thomas and Percy and James and Hiro. LOL. 

• Options
    I hate these threads as well.  We're working on colors right now and focusing on learning green and red for right now.  She can find red items a majority of the time (she can't say any colors so we can only ask her "where is the goldfish that is red, green etc?').  She has no idea how to count but can make the numbers 2 and 5 on here hands.  She might recognize some numbers, knows no letters.  She still isn't talking a whole lot, her main phrase is be-yah be-yah.  We have no idea what it means.  Either that or it is her word for everything.  After calling EI, they have told to call ina couple weeks so that her evaluation will take place after she turns 2.  In turn there is a greater chance to get more services because much more is expected after age 2 versus before.     

But like some other S12 toddlers she is a little monkey.  She loved the playground and a lot of strangers seem to comment how steady she seems on certain equipment.  

• Options
    I haven't read through the replies yet but, dd can sing her abc's, count to like 12 or so, knows her colors, knows her shapes.

She even counted backwards from 5 yesterday which surprised me.

She can identify a handful of letters & numbers.

She speaks in sentences.

• Options
    Iz still mainly says one word at a time. She doesn't yet count or say shapes. She has a killer Roar though. She can open bottles of almost every type. She can get a backpack off a table, find the sharpie I hid at the bottom, and color on my couch. She can balance on one foot for more than a minute and walk along a balance beam or parking bumper with close to no assistance. She's a great climber. She climbs ladders and stairs well and goes down slides alone (recently moved to sliding head first on tummy instead of sitting and scooting). She has very good problem solving skills and is also doing pretend play with her doll. I figure the other stuff will come.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Dexter's favorite word is "thank you."  He is baby number 4 and I feel like he's soaking it up.  He doesn't talk because the other kids talk for him all the time.  "Mommy Dexter wants this!"  "Oh, here, I got it for him" and "Hey Dexter, do you want some of this, ok here you go."   I'm positive he's picking up words from them because when he wakes up or I find him playing alone I hear him reciting them with his toys. 

I sat him on the potty last night before his bath and he looked around like "oh what a lovely chair" feeling the sides of it, and then launched towards the tub saying 'bubbles'.

He can sit through Frozen.  He also sings most of the words to "Let it Go".

He can eat with a spoon and fork.  He loves soup.  We use open cups outside.  He shuts every door he sees (microwave, fridge, bathroom, closets, front door).  He puts Lego's together.  He scoots on his bike and scoot toys on his own and is figuring out the Power Wheels. 

He's also very good at pretending to sleep.  If it weren't for his quivering eye lashes and the half smirk on his face I'd be fooled.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Options
    KisstyKissty member
    We've got all the colors down pat.  Thanks to 'Color Crew' he just started telling me what the colors of things were one day.  We haven't worked on shapes.  Everything is 2.  He can id letters but doesn't sing the ABC song yet.  I can get him to repeat them after I say them, same with numbers.  His name is spelled on his wall and he can call out those letters when pointed to (among others).  He is working on putting 2 words together and 2 syllables just trips him up.  Our good friend Patty is Pie. He knows his animals and their sounds and also all of his body parts and pokes me in the eye alot telling me 'Eye!'. DH kissed me once in front of him and now he french kisses my cheek and tells me 'Dada'. Because I told him that was Dada's special kiss. He can climb the stairs really well but still needs his hand held when going down.  When the timer goes off he knows something is in the oven and it's hot. It is just so fast how quickly they pick things up. 

imageimage 

• Options
    According to daycare and our pedi, Wesley is very advanced verbally. He does up to 5 word sentences and has an endless vocabulary. He's known all the colors since 18 months and has an endless vocabulary. He knows the difference between dump truck, garbage truck, cement mixer, tractor, combine, digger, etc. His counting is OK. He can go to 6 every time, but gets pretty stuck after that. He can do the alphabet, with the exception of "F" making about 10 appearances. He recognizes A, B, C and W, but none of the other letters. 

He is very cautious when it comes to physical things. He can't jump yet and he just really started climbing on things and opening doors. He still stumbles a lot over nothing when walking/running. He is really good at throwing and catching balls though.
  • Options
    Grant know all of his colors and can say nearly all of the words.  Although there are times when you will ask him for the blue block or the green cup and will pick the wrong one.  I think its because he's not paying attention or simply ignoring me and just giving me whatever is closet to him...

He is also really good with animals and can say many of their names (other he can identify by pointing to cards or pictures in books). But we spend a lot of time working on animals with games and visits to the zoo this summer

He can sort of count (he's really good with two - must be something about that number!) and say a few numbers but we still working on those.  As for ABC's we have just started (although i know they work on letters with him at school).  so we will see what he starts to pick up.

my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Options
    K counts to 10 and knows a lot of her letters. She knows most of her shapes including pentagon. She knows her colors but about 60% of the time if you ask her, it's pink. She knows her body parts and knows all of the animal sounds. She is also obsessed with wheels on the bus and will tell you what each part and person does.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The hit or miss theme is what's going on here too. She can count to ten with me, but she often likes to just say numbers randomly. It's mostly just straight memorization, but she does grasp the concept of "two"; she'll grab two of her bottles and say "two bottles" for example. Sometimes she does say "two" to mean "anything more than one" though.

She recognizes letters as letters, but not the individual letter itself. She calls most letters "K," but she likes to show me letters and have me say them for her. 

She does recognize some colors, but she's not as interested in them. 

As for shapes, she definitely knows what a circle is, but not the others.
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"