September 2012 Moms

Not-so-Stranger Danger?

Anyone's kiddo scared of other people sometimes? L is usually very outgoing and will wave and say hello to anyone from afar. If said person asks her a direct question or asks her to do something, she freaks out and runs to us. 

I say not so stranger, because it happens most of the time at Little Gym. Kiddo is the life of the party until the instructor asks her name or if she wants to do an activity. This is someone I speak to and treat like a 'friend' to help L feel comfortable, but she just freaks, every time. It is kind of cray to me. 

I am totally okay with her freaking if it were an actual stranger, but she sees these people every week and I can't really use stranger danger as an excuse any more. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
Kid #2 - maybe???
Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
#11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh

Re: Not-so-Stranger Danger?

• N won't talk to anyone anymore. He used to be outgoing and say hi to anyone he sees. He walks with me as I grocery shop but never goes far because as soon as someone so much as looks at him, he comes running back to me. (not that he's very far)

Even at family gatherings now with people he sees on a semi-regular basis, he won't look at or talk to. It's getting to be a bit much because he just then clings to me and won't even go to my mom at some points. He is just as shy as I was as a kid!

• Mine are both very shy and don't want anything to do with strangers or anybody they haven't seen in a while.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It just takes Nancy a little while to warm up.  Yesterday we were at my Mom's with both of my sisters, her Nana and my nieces, and she sat on my lap for around a half hour before she wanted anything to do with anyone else.  When she's warming up, she won't talk to anyone, answer questions, etc.  Just sits there and tries to burrow into my skin.

I hear this is extremely common at this age and that either they grow out of it, or they don't. 

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• DD is like this. She can take the better part of an hour to warm up sometimes. But once she does, she's jumping around and talking to people. I was a shy kid, so I try to just follow her lead.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• dimples12 said:

Depends on CJ's mood. It is actually pretty funny to me to see who and when he is warm towards others. He doesn't have much stranger danger but he can be a momma's boy depending on mood.

This is usually a game for us. L warmed up to our friend who she has seen maybe 5 times in a matter of moments on Saturday and started crying when he left. Other people she will never warm up to.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Sophia's like this too.  Went from being a total ham anytime we were out in public, waving and smiling and flirting with everyone, to being quite shy.  She takes her time to warm up, and after a little bit will start to be herself again, but talking will go out the window. 

The cashier at the grocery store will usually talk to her, and she usually responds with a blank stare.  Sometimes she'll say "bye bye" when we leave if I prompt her.  Crowds overwhelm her and make her cry, so we've never walked into a kid's birthday party without an immediate meltdown, then ten minutes later she's playing happily.  Walking into a crowded house is the situation she's most likely to demand to be in my arms and act super shy.
  • Maya has always been this way. We had a nanny at out house for a year and she was shy every single morning. She's the same way with the teachers at daycare. I think it's just part of her personality and I hope that she will eventually learn to be more friendly.
  • Maya has always been this way. We had a nanny at out house for a year and she was shy every single morning. She's the same way with the teachers at daycare. I think it's just part of her personality and I hope that she will eventually learn to be more friendly.

Jack is similar. He has to be VERY prepared for a new situation. A few weeks ago, the boys and I went to a 2nd bday party for our next door neighbor. Jack wouldn't come in the house. There were some other neighbors and the little boy's gma that watches him at their house. People Jack knows, and I kept telling him that trying to coax him in. After I while I gave up and he sat on the porch and eventually wandered in. On his own terms. That's how he is and I just let it happen naturally and try not to force it.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD gets overwhelmed when other adults ask her questions most of the time, if I rephrase the same question she will answer and then talk to new people. I think that somtimes other adults talk too quickly for her to understand what's being asked of her and she gets confused.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Normal, healthy, and actually a milestone your pedi will look for. :)

For us it sucks because she's terrified of my dad 98% of the time.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Dd is extremely social, but on her terms. She will wave & say hi to strangers, but if someone comes up to her & asks her a question, she clams up.

She will also cry when brought into a crowded room if people all saying hi to her at the same time, lol. Like when we go to a family gathering & everyone's all, "HI!!!!!" in high pitched voices with exaggerated faces (my in laws *cough cough*).

• bosha711 said:
    Dd is extremely social, but on her terms. She will wave & say hi to strangers, but if someone comes up to her & asks her a question, she clams up. She will also cry when brought into a crowded room if people all saying hi to her at the same time, lol. Like when we go to a family gathering & everyone's all, "HI!!!!!" in high pitched voices with exaggerated faces (my in laws *cough cough*).
    I am laughing at your inlaws - but the beginning describes what L does exactly. It is good and frustrating at the same time. I just wish she would cling to DH occasionally. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"