Cloth Diapering

New to CD

Hello! My DH and I just found out we're expecting our first baby. We were talking the other night and my DH brought up CD. I've watched the videos suggested on the FAQ thread and I've been researching the past few days. I know we have awhile to make up our minds, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of choices. With disposable diapers, you might buy a $20-30 box and if it doesn't work for baby you switch. I feel like with CD it's a big financial deal at first, but overall, well worth it. I guess my question is about how you decided on type and brand. Amazon has several posts for a brand called Alva (I believe they are AI2). It's much more cost effective than some of the other brands. Does anyone use them? Any advice on your decision making would be great!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: New to CD

• The Alvas on amazon are actually more expensive than if you buy from alvababy.com. $5 vs $7ish.

I've never tried Alva but I've read that others like them. Kawaii on theluvyourbaby.com are camparitively priced. Their pure and naturals will fit pretty small.
  • You learn what you like by trying.

Going in I thought I wanted all in ones and bought a ton. Now, we exclusively use prefolds and covers! Just now getting into flats.

I could have saved so much money not buying so many all in ones. At least resale value is good!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Oh! Also look into swap groups on here and Facebook.

Congrats and let us know when you have questions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• I am FTM looking to try cloth diapering and one of the biggest pieces that helped me, aside from a lot of research, was finding a local store that has a good variety you can look at and/or that offers a class. Being able to actually see the different types and the additional tips and tricks you get from a teachers own experience can make a big difference. I made sure to take DH with me so that way I wouldn't pick something I loved and he hated :)
  • km_mdkm_md member
    I agree with the other ladies that it's about trial and error. I started off with a really small stash that I bought on the recommendations of friends (and bought some used covers from one of them). After using them for a while, I learned things that I liked and didn't like. I ended up selling a bunch, and would now like to get rid of some of my microfibre because I hate it. I have a much more varied stash now and I am quite happy with it. I have a couple of AIOs, 2 fitteds for ON, a few AI2s, a bunch of pockets, and a few covers and prefolds.

• apparently I'm an anomaly…I did buy a varied stash, but liked everything.  All the diapers we bought-aio's, pockets, covers, pfs, etc-have all been used since the beginning. the only diaper I would have been fine without was a Kawaii Little Green Baby because the elastic was weird and the velcro tabs were crap

it's definitely worth it to cd

over the last 15 months I've just added a bunch more that I loved the most
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thank you! I'm excited about this, but was worried about doing/buying the "wrong" thing. Maybe that's the FTM in me. ;) I've been reading here, online, and watching vlogs. I'm going to continue to lurk here because you guys know your stuff!

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I did hours and hours of research and took a cloth 101 class at a CD store.  Yet I did not know what I liked until I put them to use on my baby (and my washing machine).  So my suggestion is either get a few different kinds.  Or a couple of one kind just to try.  Don't get a full stash of one kind until you have more experience.  Reviews are helpful but everyone has their own favorites.
  • One more question, if you guys don't mind. I've read on here as well as other places that newborns go through 12-15 diapers a day. If I'm needing to do a trial and error type of thing, should I get a few of a certain type (AIO, Prefolds, etc.), so I have enough to get through a few days? I like the idea of trying different things, but I also want to make sure we have enough for the baby. How did you handle newborn stage when trying new CD?

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would say that most of us have found that prefolds and covers are the most functional and affordable option for newborn stage.  So I would suggest building the majority of your stash of those.  Adding in a few AIO and/or pockets if those appeal to you.  And a few fitteds for nighttime use.  Or do a diaper trial.
  • Regarding your last question, we got 2 dozen prefolds, 6 workhorses (for night changes), a couple AIOs, and some Kawaii pure& natural. Newborn stuff has good resale value so it should be easy to sell or trade things when you find out what works for you. You want about 24-36 changes to be able to wash every other day.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• @mrshudson618‌, wow! Thank you so much! I will keep all that in mind! I really appreciate the information!

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree about doing a diaper trial.  Then, once you know what you like I recommend buying on the swap sites on FB or DiaperSwappers (I prefer FB).
  • One thing to keep in mind is resale. If you buy something and end up not liking them, you can always sale them and get some of your money back. You can also buy used to save money, keep what you like and sale the rest. If you look around a little bit you maybe able to buy your whole stash used. Diaper trails are great because you get to try lots of stuff and can keep the stuff you like and send the rest back.
  • edited July 2014
    Carebella said:

I am FTM looking to try cloth diapering and one of the biggest pieces that helped me, aside from a lot of research, was finding a local store that has a good variety you can look at and/or that offers a class. Being able to actually see the different types and the additional tips and tricks you get from a teachers own experience can make a big difference. I made sure to take DH with me so that way I wouldn't pick something I loved and he hated :)

This is exactly what we did. We used prefolds and covers for the newborn phase (just recently phased them out) because they're the most cost effective and we knew she wouldn't be in them long-term. Then I bought one of each of a few brands I was interested in trying based on reviews and going into my local shop and checking them out. I tried them out for a week, as did my hubby, and we decided what we liked best. I also have several friends who CD who lent/gave me some of theirs to try. Good luck, and congratulations!

Eta: unfortunate typo.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • FTM considering disposables for newborn stage, so when should I start trying to CD? Depends prob on baby's size?
  • @seirrehc‌ most one-size CDs start to fit well around 10lbs.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @seirrehc It also depends on how your baby grows. DS was slow to gain weight and never got really chunky. Some of his OS diapers started to fit around 12-14 lbs, which was around 3-4 months of age for him, others didn't fit very well until he was closer to 16-18 lbs, which was around 10 months.

I highly recommend you consider CD for the newborn stage. NBs go through so many diaper changes that a NB stash pays for itself pretty quickly. Also, it's the easiest as far as laundry goes, since you don't have to do anything special with the poopy diapers -- it all just comes out in the wash.

• This is exactly what we did. We used prefolds and covers for the newborn phase (just recently phased them out) because they're the not cost effective and we knew she wouldn't be in them long-term. Then I bought one of each of a few brands I was interested in trying based on reviews and going into my local shop and checking them out. I tried them out for a week, as did my hubby, and we decided what we liked best. I also have several friends who CD who lent/gave me some of theirs to try. Good luck, and congratulations!

How were they not cost effective for you?

Whoops! Typo. Should have been the MOST cost effective. Thanks! Y'all were probably thinking, "That new girl is crazy!"
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Plus one for buying a varied stash right out of the gate. 

My LO is only 18 days old and going in I thought I would use our prefolds but not be really excited about them. They are the diapers I use the most because they can keep in his adult sized pees :)

• ^^Thanks to the rec of this board!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"