Cloth Diapering

1st Wash Not a Success

So last night I did my first wash.  I attempted to put everything in one load--which I discovered was not a good idea.  I did two rinses since the load was so big and then took some of it out so I had a smaller load to work with.  I washed that load with 2 tbs of homemade detergent (hot wash/cold rinse). I could tell it was still stinky, so I did another wash and then the final rinse.  Some of the diapers came out smelling clean, some not.  I noticed the ones with bigger poop stains were the ones that smelled the most and probably were also older b/c some of them were sitting in the pail for 5 days since we had to go back to the hospital.

So...what do I do? Just keep washing or do a bleach wash? Thanks.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

Re: 1st Wash Not a Success

• here's what I would do, but others may have more helpful advice. I would take the ones you say aren't smelling clean and I would put those in together and do a hot wash, no detergent. when it's done, add detergent (I use tide) and a 1/4 c. bleach (or less if it's not many diapers). When that is done...do another rinse. I hope this helps.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, guys, sending DH to the store to get Tide.  Yeah, I couldn't avoid the diaper issue since we were back in the hospital. I was sitting in the hospital thinking, "damn, my diapers are gonna stink".  

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

• I hope all is well (not sure why/who went back into the hosp?).  

Getting dipes clean is a trial and error process.  Just keep tweaking and you will work it out.
  • @abby8279 Thanks, I figured that too. Hopefully it won't take me too long to figure this all out!!  My son had to be re-admitted for jaundice. It really sucked.

• @abby8279 Thanks, I figured that too. Hopefully it won't take me too long to figure this all out!!  My son had to be re-admitted for jaundice. It really sucked.
    Poor guy!  

Finding the right routine can be a pain in the a**.  Luckily you have found this board right off the bat.  We are all really good at helping pinpoint the problem.  Hopefully soon you will be smooth sailing.
  • :) I'm glad that worked for you for now. Keep us posted.

• :) I'm glad that worked for you for now. Keep us posted.
    Damn it! I spoke too soon.  Only some of them came out smelling good. Grr. I"m going to wash again but with the diapers I used yesterday as well..see if what @MapleMe suggested helps.

• I washed another load yesterday, which were the diapers from the day before.  All came out smelling fine except like 4. Not sure why that is. So now I have all the smelly diapers in one load and doing another bleach wash.  Ugh, how frustrating! 

• What type of washer do you have?  HE or regular?  Top load or FL?  Do you have hard or soft water?  Did you switch to the Tide?  What was the latest wash cycle you did?  How much detergent did you use?  What type of diapers are you using?
  • I washed another load yesterday, which were the diapers from the day before.  All came out smelling fine except like 4. Not sure why that is. So now I have all the smelly diapers in one load and doing another bleach wash.  Ugh, how frustrating! 

>:D< keep trying!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"