January 2014 Moms

Crunchy vs Non-crunchy

Do you feel sometimes women/parents try to one up each other on who is more crunchy?

I feel like I'm seeing it more and more lately.

Or am I standing in the observation alone?
imageimage
Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
induction due to HELLP

Re: Crunchy vs Non-crunchy

• teacher0708teacher0708 member
    edited July 2014
    I see it a lot with a few moms in the moms group. I think it is silly. I am not very crunchy (breastfeed though)  and just listen to this as I have nothing to add to the conversation. Sometimes I laugh cause I find it ridiculous. I think you do what is right for you and your family then do it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I hate the term "crunchy."

However, it is annoying when someone tries to win the "environmental championships." I'm all for promoting healthy living, but let others do as they please.

It's like, I was a vegetarian but I wanted to eat this yummy looking ham dish at a party. After beating myself up about it, I realized the vegetarian police weren't going to arrest me and I could do what I want.

I'm a pretty firm believer in "do what you want as long as it's not hurting others."

That being said, I will side eye someone who throws their plastic water bottle in the trash.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• I don't think I understand crunchy. I opened this thinking it was about peanutbutter.

@SandFHasse‌
    imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• @ChuggingWater‌ Thank you. I get it now.
  • Lmao, what's free range children??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

No baby gates, etc.
    imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• edited July 2014
    I see it a ton on Facebook. I have a couple acquaintances who border on crunchy Samctimommy "Oh, I am so sorry you had issues breastfeeding, but I just couldn't give up knowing it was best! And all those chemicals in diapers? I just couldn't do that to my baby or the environment!"

They also compare their organic, locally purchased from the co-op wraps to those of us with big business Mobys.

I may have issues with this. I recognize that.
    AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
  • km_mdkm_md member
    I agree with you that it does seem to be a contest with some people. Luckily I only have one crazy on my FB (she is right down to the anti vaxxing and everything) but I find it hilarious so I haven't deleted her.

I do some things that are "crunchy" but I do those things because I thought they would be best for my family and our situation.

• I don't think I understand crunchy. I opened this thinking it was about peanutbutter.

Me too! I was coming in to vote non crunchy :)
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Free range parenting is a term used to describe a philosophy of parenting that promotes unsupervised and unorganized play and activities outside the home when appropriate for maturity of child. For example, allowing child to walk or bike to elementary school by themselves. Basically teaching them how to navigate the world confidently by themselves. Talking to strangers is okay, going with strangers is not okay. Basically how many of us were raised. It's kind of become a thing lately because of anecdotes of parents being arrested or threatened with CPS because society at large seems to assume any child unsupervised is in grave danger of what "could" happen. It is often contrasted with helicopter parenting.
  • I had one facebook friend who I went to high school with who was very crunchy and judgmental. I deleted her because every time she posted an anti-vax article it made my blood boil and I had to fight the instinct to call her a fucking idiot. She just wasn't worth the head space I was giving her. I knew an argument was exactly what she wanted and wouldn't change her mind anyways.  

Other than that my family and friends run the gamut from EBF to EFF, CD to disposables, babywearers and non, co-sleepers to baby in it's own room right from the hospital, people who use CIO and those who don't, and everything in between. I've had chats with friends about what they do and we've compared notes but never in a way where we are saying one way is better than another, more like "oh this is what worked for us and how we did it"
  • I am non crunch besides baby wearing and breast feeding.

• I see it on TB but not IRL.
  • A few Facebook acquaintances. I have some close friends who make much different parenting choices from me but for the most part they are supportive and don't push their choices on others.

Married July 14, 2012

Hudson - January 7, 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I definitely feel this way and sometimes feel like when I go to play centres with my kids I get bombarded with it as soon as some notice we cloth diaper. Yes I BF, and cloth diaper, but it's because I'm cheap and my kids seem to react to disposables. 
    Some moms are chill about it and will just swap tips and diaper experiences. Other's start going on and on about how "eco" the soaps, creams, lotions and how organic all the foods are.  I don't mind talking about experiences if I can help somebody out with an issue. Beyond that I just tune them out. 

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • :::raises hand:::: crunchy o'er here.
    Except I'm pro-vax and I'm anti cloth diapering :/

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
    PgAL

• goldenB said:

:::raises hand:::: crunchy o'er here.

Lol how can you be anti cloth diaper? You mean for your family, right? Or just in general? :p

• I consider myself slightly crispy, I don't judge or compare to one up. I don't have any energy to spend trying to judge your life and choices, I'm busy with my own baby :-)
  • goldenB said:

Lol how can you be anti cloth diaper? You mean for your family, right? Or just in general? :p
    If you cloth diaper, I bow down to you. Seriously. I just couldn't do it myself. Especially since my DS is on poopslosion watch 2014.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
    PgAL

• km_mdkm_md member
    goldenB said:

goldenB said:

If you cloth diaper, I bow down to you. Seriously. I just couldn't do it myself. Especially since my DS is on poopslosion watch 2014.
    It's really not as bad as a lot of people think. Much more modern now -new products, new washing machines, etc. I'm really glad we decided to CD. But I do realize that it's not for everyone.

No baby gates, etc.
    No baby gates? Do you let your baby crawl and tumble down the stairs? No thank you.

Do they expect them to learn after their first concussion from falling down the stairs at 9 months or something?

Obviously you watch your kids but when they are mobile and you turn your back from a moment they could be to the stairs in a heart beat.

• I also think cloth diapers are THA BOMB but understand if you just aren't interested. Motherhood is overwhelming enough and you have to pick and choose what you want to spend time researching.

Or even "I just don't want to" is a good enough reason.

• @ChuggingWater, in my circle of friends and family there are many who are the opposite of crunchy. CIO, EFF by 2 months (mostly for the admitted reason that "it's easier") or no BF at all, all the drugs, etc. I am considered one of the crunchiest, and the only things on that list that I really do religiously are BF and no CIO. (Well....the other ones that I think describe me -- Human/Animal Rights & activism, buy local/small business/handmade -- really don't have anything to do with parenting. But I digress...)

• I find it amusing since back when i was a teen this sort of style/choices were called granola or hippie and used pejoratively. I was somewhat granola back then...vegetarian, Birkenstocks, environmentally minded, but never proselytized. And none of the parents I know participate in juvenile one-upsmanship.
  • I am fairly crunchy simply because it is what works for me and my family.  I don't mind if other people are super crunchy compared to me or not crunchy at all.  It's all about finding what works for your family as far as I can see.  That being said,  if someone needs advice on cloth diapering or wants to know which baby carrier I prefer, I am more than happy to chat about it.  I don't see any reason to make a competition out of parenting choices; motherhood is hard enough without having to worry about what other people think. 

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • @tarajeannette‌ yes!

@peanutmuse‌ I'm th crunchiest of my friends, too. (Totally not crunchy in th scheme ofnthings) I just do what works for us, not because it's a set of values!
    imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• Rojovol34 said:

I have to confess I may have made the crunchiest purchase of my life yesterday, my mom and I took ds to our local farmers market to get some good fruits and veggies and we ended up buying an alpaca woolly yarn ball that is used in lieu of dryer sheets and will last up to five years. I almost don't recognize myself. I also got homemade soap wrapped in alpaca wool that when it's finished you can use in your drawers to make your stuff smell good. FTR I've done four loads of laundry with my new purchase and my towels have never felt softer.

I just bought some wool dryer balls too and love them!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"