January 2015 Moms

NBR: Familiar with WEN hair products?

I was researching hair care products during my nightly insomnia around 2pm and came across WEN. Kinda pricey but tempting. They have a cucumber aloe cleansing conditioner that is said to be really good for those with oily scalps and dry hair (like me!). Anyone every try it?

Or...anyone have oily scalp yet dry hair issues and found something to combat it? Please share!
Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012

Re: NBR: Familiar with WEN hair products?

• I would strongly advise you to say away (far away) from WEN. I got temped by all the infomercials last year. I have dry hair that's really prone to breakage and split ends, so WEN sounded like a dream. I caved and ordered it. Thinking I was only ordering one bottle of the shampoo/conditioner stuff, I was shocked when I got charge more than $100 and received four or five different products in the box. Still, I was excited, so I overlooked it. When I read the directions, WEN says to use 16 pumps of product in your hair, then repeat (each time you wash). Needless to say, the bottles lasts little more than two weeks because you have to use a TON of it each time you wash to get your hair clean. It did make my hair feel soft and smooth, but no more than any other high-end shampoo/conditioner I could get at a drugstore.

Also, when you order, they place you on a subscription without you knowing. So you will start randomly receiving products in the mail then seeing that there are random charges from WEN on your credit card. That's when I'd had enough. I called them to try to to cancel, and they told me I would have to pay more than $100 to cancel because I still owed them for products I had received. Nevermind that I never wanted the products in the first place. In the end, it took me three attempts to to cancel and was an overall nightmare.
  • I knew it was a subscription service but I also found that I could buy the product I mentioned at Sephora. 

Do you use anything now that you like that works for the dry hair?
  • Loading the player...
  • I do the Aussie brand 3 minute miracle, which is basically coconut oil, once a week. That stuff has worked well for me to fix the dry hair issue. I focus on the ends and only use a little on my scalp so it doesn't end up greasy
  • I love Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil nourishing shampoo, and their Amino Acid conditioner.

I also have dry hair and this stuff is great.
  • My mom sells this stuff at her boutique... it is awesome! Honey Naturals can be found on zulily from time to time as well and there is a store locator on the website. I would say I probably have the same issue as you. I have a lot of hair, but it is really fine. I use 4 pumps of the shampoo and 2-3 of the conditioner. I use dry shampoo every other day. I LOVE my hair since I have started using this. My hairdresser even comments on the change and bought some for herself. This whole line of stuff is awesome!

My hair dresser did suggest trying to go every other day with shampoo/conditioner for the oily scalp. The reason our scalps are so oily is because the skin is constantly trying to make up for the lost moisture from shampooing everyday. I hated it at first, but the dry shampoo helps to make it bearable. I have found my hair is so much easier to style on day two as well. 

I know you workout quite a bit... do you wash your hair twice a day as well? Dry shampoo might be something good for you to try at the very least. 
    I workout after work most days and shower at night so only once a day but that is definitely a problem of mine. It's hard not to "cleanse" my hair after sweating (especially during the summer months). Most of your good comments were for the Honey Naturals? Or for Wen?
  • wcmama1001wcmama1001 member
    edited July 2014
    I tried Wen and did not like it at all.  It didn't make my dry hair look/feel any better and it brought out the little bit of texture I have which left my hair wavy in a weird (and ugly) way.  My sister's hair is naturally curly and Wen really makes the curls look beautiful... If your hair is has a natural curl, you might like it, too.

I use Kiehl's Amino Acid shampoo and conditioner.  I love them.  I've been using them for a few years.  My scalp isn't oily, but I think this would be a good option for anyone.
  • WEN actually made my scalp itchy and it looked like I started getting these little white things coming off my scalp, I actually made DH check my scalp for lice. I stopped using and my scalp went back to normal. Weird
  • As a hairdresser I highly recommend NOT using wen. You need to actually wash the oils out of your hair, wen is a "no poo" method. I have put my nail down a strand of a couple people who use those products and got residue under my nail from the oil/buildup. It was pretty nasty & definitely not healthy for your hair. For dry hair I recommend using kerastase Bain satin 2 & lait vital (this is at a higher price point and only sold at some salons but super repairative and very worth it) or Morrocan oil brand repair products
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a hairdresser I highly recommend NOT using wen. You need to actually wash the oils out of your hair, wen is a "no poo" method. I have put my nail down a strand of a couple people who use those products and got residue under my nail from the oil/buildup. It was pretty nasty & definitely not healthy for your hair. For dry hair I recommend using kerastase Bain satin 2 & lait vital (this is at a higher price point and only sold at some salons but super repairative and very worth it) or Morrocan oil brand repair products

Wow you weren't kidding. I get very nervous spending that much money on shampoo and conditioner because if it doesn't work out with my hair. I've wasted a lot of money. Is there any way to find samples online?
  • I like hearing the others opinions, but I have to say wen works for me, I wash my oily scalp only twice a week now, and my dry bleached hair is softer and seems to handle better. however, if I develop dandruff, which I have since pregnancy, you really have to work harder at massaging to get the flakes out (sorry gross). I buy it on ebay so it's a little cheaper and no auto-subscription. but hearing kyleedee08 talk of the build up - yes I do have a bit of build up, but I still overall like the condition of my hair better than the drying out that shampoo does.
  • Well this thread has not helped me decide in the least! LOL. Last pregnancy I had gorgeous hair. This pregnancy it is anything but. I will figure something out eventually :)
  • Don't do WEN. What a load of shit lol.
    I tried it and it was such a faff. I had long hair and 16 pumps was not enough.
    Plus it was mentholated and it didn't say that on the tub and it made my head feel all cool and burny. I hate when shampoo does that. Not pleasant and I hated it.
    Didn't make my hair look good either. Felt all greasy and unwashed. Yuck! Binned most of the products.
    BabyFetus Ticker

#1 Son born: 18 June 2008 :) 
     #2 M/C: 23 January 2014 at 5w,2d :( 
     #3 BFP: 28 April 2014. Yay! EDD: 6th January 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"