Adoption

Not the news I was hoping to hear

Well, saw my midwife today because I haven't had a period since having my daughter in Jan. I started weaning pumping in May and stopped the last day of the month, so I've been worried. I was told I probably had PCOS before, but when I started eating and living "clean" and seeing a chiropractor regularly I got a more regular period. I still didn't have any signs of ovulation, which probably contributed to my not-so-great decision making the night A was conceived. Results of the ultrasound today are that my poor little ovaries are a cyst-ridden mess. I know that PCOS isn't the worst thing in the world, but I also know it is a common cause of infertility and increases the risk of miscarriage significantly. I can't shake the fear that A was my one and only shot to have a baby, and I'm struggling to come to terms with the news. I can't imagine infertility when I am actually able to parent after the loss of my baby girl. My midwife suggested birth control to help my ovaries heal and seeing a chiro again since that seemed to help before, but I can't afford that (used to work for a chiro and got free adjustments) and I'm scared that might have been a fluke thing. I'm still eating clean and healthy and working out, but obviously that isn't doing me much good. I had a feeling I would get a diagnosis today because I have been struggling with many of the symptoms, most of all hormones making me feel like crap. I guess I'm just looking to vent to some people who can sympathize with what I'm going through. I think those in my life care, but don't get why this is so devastating to me. I hate the unknown, especially when I got through a lot of the pain of placement by telling myself my time would come soon, and at least I knew I could have children. Any advice is welcome!
Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

Re: Not the news I was hoping to hear

• I'm so sorry, that's tough to hear. The good news is, it may not be your one and only shot. I know of  women who have successfully conceived/carried to term, even with PCOS. There are a lot of treatment options. Definitely take time to process the news and work on a path forward.

Thinking of you.

• kelhenry85kelhenry85 member
    edited July 2014
    I'm so sorry about the news, but I've heard from multiple medical professionals that PCOS isn't the infertility death sentence that it use to be.  A lot of doctors have told me that it's the difference between getting pregnant after 6 to 12 months of trying versus 3 to 6 months without PCOS (I have a diagnosis of PCOS as well from a few years ago).

My friend, who is my expectant mother, has PCOS, and this is her SECOND pregnancy. 

I know it doesn't soften the initial shock, but keep the faith, girl!  Anything is is possible!
  • Loading the player...
  • I can sympathize with your feelings about this news.  It's never great to find out there's something wrong with your body but the good news is that you have a diagnosis already.  When the time comes for you to start TTC, you'll be ahead of others who spend months and years wondering if there's something going on and instead can know what you're up against.  PCOS isn't necessarily a deal breaker for fertility, and as PP's said many women still conceive naturally despite the upset it causes to your system. It's good that you're already taking steps to help alleviate the symptoms since long term that should only make things better not worse, right?
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry.
  • mindaamindaa member
    No advice, but praying for you
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Like the PP have said, just because you have PCOS does not mean you will have trouble conceiving! I have many friends that have PCOS and got pregnant naturally, some need the help of  a RE. In my situation, i did not have any true DX and could not conceive on my own......you just never know....hugsss
  • I'm so sorry.  That really sucks, and probably feels like salt in a still-healing wound.  The other ladies are absolutely right that PCOS isn't the end of fertility.  Just knowing what you're up against gives you a chance for addressing it head-on when the time comes, instead of wondering and worrying.  
  • @CarolinaGirl2014 I'm so sorry to hear that you have PCOS. The good news is that it's very common- lots and lots of folks have it and lots of folks conceive naturally with it. And even if they can't conceive naturally, many respond very well to treatment with an RE.

That said- I don't want to invalidate the fear that you must be having right now- it's scary to think that you won't be able to conceive again. Much love.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i have lots of hope for you! hang in there. 
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • There are some great treatment options for PCOS. B control totally worked for me. I felt so much better and I went off of it about 6 months ago and no other cysts have shown up. I hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks, all! I appreciate the encouragement. I know that it's not a fertility death sentence, but as some of you said, it just adds to the fear after placing a child. Hoping that I can regulate myself by the time I'm ready for LO's, since I know it's sometimes possible.
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• Thinking of you and hoping some BC and other things help control this for you!  (((hugs)))

• Lurker butting in ( I hope that's ok ) I have a severe case of pcos , metformin is a wonder drug ! It evened out my hormones and made me feel a world better . I had the same fears about conceiving but was able to with just the metformin and carry a healthy baby to term . Best thing you can do for yourself is get the pcos under control .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"