March 2014 Moms
Options

Introducing food...

Our pedi gave us the approval to start food with Brylee, but I'm on the fence about it. She's in the 97th percentile for weight, so she's definitely getting everything she needs. :) I was thinking we would start closer to 6months.

Any thoughts?

Re: Introducing food...

• Options
    KewiiKewii member
    I'm also waiting for 6 months.  I don't see the need to rush.  She doesn't need food yet and isn't showing any interest in it.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Options
    Well, she is starting to show interest. She's been eyeing our food.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    eMac87eMac87 member
    edited July 2014
    I started yesterday because I cannot keep DD full anymore.

It's completely your choice if you want to start feeding her, then feed her, if you want to wait, then wait.
  • Options
    We haven't had our four month appointment yet but we might start a little early. He's also big for his age and is very interested in our food. Tonight he was pulling on my arm trying to get to my sandwich. We'll follow his lead though. If he doesn't want to eat solids we won't force it.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting to wait until 6 months. We're constantly being asked if we're planning on giving her solids soon.
  • Options
    Honestly, I have not heard a new recommendation about waiting until 6 months prior to this specific board. When I had my dd four years ago 4 months was all the rage on the bump. My pedi still recommended starting them at 4 months, which I did. One twin ate, the other took a bit to get acclimated but they are almost 6 months, 4 months adjusted, and have been on solids for awhile. I don't get the reluctance of starting solids ( referring to the prior posts) especially if your pedi is good with it but this really is an each to their own. Try sone rice cereal. If they don't want it try again later. You won't screw her up, I promise!
  • Options
    I'm allowing food as of 4 months, but not GIVING it. Meaning if he grabs it and sticks it in his mouth that's chill with me (assuming it's otherwise safe ie not a grape) but I am not deliberately spoon-feeding him either.

MH might want to start oatmeal in a couple months, but not yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The way I see it, she's growing, developing, and I'm keeping up with her demand on BM so why not wait a little longer?
  • Options
    I plan to wait until 6 months and we are going the BLW route.

But, at our 2 month appointment the doc (a resident) said we could start anytime between 4 and 6 months.
    Yesterday at our 4 month appointment with our regular doc, he mentioned guidelines have changed again and that starting solids is suggested for between 4 and 6 months and to only withold foods such as honey and sushi.
    And don't avoid introduction of other foods that people may be allergic to.

Although, he did say he trusted we would do what we felt was best since we are experienced parents and the kids are obviously happy and healthy.
  • Options
    We started solids Colton was ready and has taken to eating very happily. The pedi dr that I work for said that some babies are ready at 4 months and some may not be ready until after 6 months it depends on the baby, and they are all different.
  • Options
    We did at 4 months. Sloan showed the signs and getting her to take formula is a nightmRe- she just doesn't like it.

I'm glad we did as she's already grabbing the spoon from us and the bowl. She gobbles up what we give her
  • Options
    We aren't starting until later because the nutrition and calories are better with formula. (Don't know if that is true for others, but it is for what we feed.) he also isn't sitting yet so he isn't physically ready. We probably will start at about 8 months, but, again, that's our very specific situation and wouldn't apply to others. With my daughter she started at 5 months and went straight to pretty thick foods. She had many signs of readiness.
  • Options
    I'm really trying to wait as close to 6 months as possible. DD is 4.5 months. We have decided though to maybe try next month. DD is very interested and has tried to grab at my food and spoon already.
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    Whaaat?! I can't give my baby sushi?!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We tried rice cereal with DHA and probiotics last night for the first time. I got the kind designed for supported sitters bc he isn't sitting on his own yet. I mixed 5 tbl spoons of BM with 1 tbl spoon of cereal so it was very liquids. T is in the 75% for weight and 90% for height and my dr gave us the go ahead at his appt last week. We were going to wait but decided to try cereal before bed to see if it would help him sleep longer than 4 hours. He was unsure about the cereal and the spoon the first few bites but then we couldn't get it in fast enough and had to hold his hands back bc he kept reaching for the spoon and spilling it!!
  • Options
    Our pedi also gave the green light, but followed it with saying that he's doing so well with growth that waiting until the 6 month mark (which is what I want to do) would work great too. He said the only reason for giving him solids right now is to try to get him to sleep longer at night, but I have no problem waiting just a little longer until he hits the 6 month mark.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are waiting until closer to 6 mo.  When DD1 was getting ready to start a little over a year ago there was research that waiting could reduce food allergies.  I also quickly realized it's a PITA at the begining b/c it takes so long and is so messy.  It almost requires a highchair if you're feeding them alone, so in our case, it means being home for all meals.  By waiting until fall, we won't be on the go as much so it will be easier to be home for her feedings.  We did a combination of BLW and purees/soft table foods and it worked great.  DD1 is a fabulous eater and not picky.  DD2 is in the 95 for weight and 75th for height.  No worries about her getting all the nutriants she needs right now.
  • Options
    NanaCook said:
    Whaaat?! I can't give my baby sushi?!

I know, right? I'll give LO whatever he will eat.
  • Options
    We are waiting till at least 6 months. Breastmilk is all LO needs right now. It seems crazy to start giving a baby solids before he/she can sit upright on their own.
  • Options
    Also, she's been sleeping through the night since she was about 5weeks, so that's not an issue.
  • Options
    We've given some cereal, dislike the "empty calorie" statement it isn't bc it is mixed with either f or bm.  Anyway it is so cute and Levi enjoyed it.  He loves holding the spoon, one for him one for me.  He only ingests about a tablestpoon or so it is a ten minute diversion that bets him used to swallowing, tasting, etc. Babies are all about the oral so the fascination with the new experience is fun for him to. Lo isnt dependant on the nuturition/caloric quantity of the food so its really just for fun for the first few months
  • Options
    vacsx2vacsx2 member
    My pedi encouraged us to start, but I'm going to wait another few weeks. She also said it's the iron in the cereal that is important. She said oatmeal is better.

I've never read/heard more conflicting information on any other baby topic so we are going with my gut, which says he's ready but to wait until he's sitting a little longer on his own. We shall see how it all goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"