December 2013 Moms

D14 mom popping in with a winter PG question

For those of you in northern climates, what did you use for a winter coat? Any maternity coat recommendations or did you just get a regular winter coat in a larger size? I live in northern KY (close to Cincinnati; neighbors assure me there will be plenty of snow) and it's my first winter here (native Floridian), so I have no idea what to get. Hoping to cash in on the summer sales while they are still going!  TIA :)

DS born 10/22/2008
DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
m/c @4wks 3/2014

Re: D14 mom popping in with a winter PG question

• Most days I would wear one of my husbands fleece jackets that could zip up around my belly and just left my winter coat open. The last couple weeks before LO was born, were brutally cold here, so I just did the same except I buttoned the top few buttons of my coat and left it hanging around my belly and it was warm enough. This worked for me and I ended up not needing to buy a maternity coat.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• Loading the player...
  • I borrowed my sister's winter coat which was a non-maternity coat, but the style of it fit my belly. I'd find a used mat coat or a regular one that would fit the belly. You're only going to use it for a month and mat coats can be expensive. Make sure if you buy one now that you leave some "cushion" where it buttons across the chest in case your chest grows bigger in the coming months. I noticed some girls in winter just don't button the coat if it doesn't fit the belly or button only the top ones and just try not to be outside for extended periods of time.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • I live in montana (very cold last winter) I wore multiple layers of sweaters and just didn't button my peacoat. I also ran quite a bit warmer so that was helpful.
  • I live in the mountains of NC. We had a very cold winter last year. I wore a north face fleece that would stretch and zip and then put one of my DH coat over it. Layering was my friend. I didn't buy a mat coat.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I waited for an Old Navy sale. 
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • I got a good deal on a winter coat at Motherhood maternity.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage
  • I live in NKY also and found two really cute Gap maternity coats at the Gap Factory Outlet in Hebron for under $20 each. Buy one if you find a deal! You'll definitely need it!
    imageimageimageimage
  • I just used my regular coat and did t button it up. I would wear a heavy sweater or north face under it though!
  • I borrowed my friends maternity coat - it was a really nice peacoat from Target. Or I would wear my husbands fleece coats. Style just kinda went out the window there at the end :)
  • I used a 10 year old black wool Gap maternity dress coat...and I bought a cheap Old Navy one as well.
  • Is your due date early or late December? You will definitely need a good maternity sweater for fall but if you are due in early December, I wouldn't bother and just layer and wear a regular coat. Even not pregnant I don't wear a winter coat until late Dec-February

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• My mom gave me one of her coats that was an XL (normally too big for me, but was great for going over the bump). If she hadn't done that, I would have bought a coat. You'll wear it for a few months post partem as well, so I think its worth getting something that fits.
  • LtpugsLtpugs member
    I live in NE so we have fairly cold winters. I managed to get away with just not zipping up my coat. But I also ended up delivering in late Nov before it got really cold. ( I also managed to wear flip flops and summer flats for the last few weeks of my pregnancy. My feet were soooooo swollen but I refused to buy new shoes. )
  • HncampHncamp member
    I had a button up cotton pea coat that worked pretty well. Zip up fleece works well too.
  • I had a wool pea coat I wore unbuttoned most of the time when it wasn't too cold. The rest of the time I wore an old ll bean winter coat of my husband's.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think in the midwest you will need one (says someone who used to live in Indiana). I got a decent one on sale from motherhood.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

image image

• bty19bty19 member
    It depends on how often you are going to spend time outside...if you're just going from a car to inside somewhere  - I wouldn't spend money on a special coat. Sweater/scarf/toque.

• Thanks for all the ideas, ladies! I managed to find one on clearance online at A Pea in the Pod (they are having a buy 1, get 1 free sale on clearance items so I scored a cute dress for free!) that should do the trick. I'm due in mid-December, but just moved from Florida, so I think I'll be busting out the parka as soon as the temp drops below 60. 

@leahraewku - too funny; I live in Hebron! I'll have to check out the outlet for clothes for the family as winter approaches.

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• SusanC111SusanC111 member
    edited July 2014
    I personally didn't buy anything and I've had two winter babies. I"m in MO and it doesn't get REALLY cold here until Jan/Feb. I wore a fleece because mostly just making a quick walk from house to car to work, etc. I could also wear my coat open, or my H's coat and zip it. Add a scarf and hat and that's it.
    I'd just hate to buy something you might only wear a few times. Try to borrow or buy consignment.

ETA I just saw you got a deal! That works :-)

• haleyusf said:

@leahraewku - too funny; I live in Hebron! I'll have to check out the outlet for clothes for the family as winter approaches.
    My sister lives there too!  Be warned, your first impression of the outlet will be that it's a dirty, unorganized warehouse of damaged clothes (largely, that's true).  You can find some really nice clothes for next to nothing though if you're willing to hunt. I was there last week, and they had Badley Mischka shoes for $30!  Thursdays are new merchandise day, so it's best to go then before things are picked over.
    imageimageimageimage
  • MissyC979MissyC979 member
    edited July 2014
    I borrowed a friend's maternity coat. If I didn't have that, I was going to buy one from Motherhood. They had some good sales in the fall. I think it's worth having a maternity coat. I ended up wearing it most of the winter, since it was roomier than my normal jacket.

ETA: I live outside of Boston and had my baby in the middle of December.

• From Canada here. I got one for about $80 on sale from motherhood maternity. But I needed it! The day I went into labour it was -45C with windchill. Not fun. Lol
  • -49F is the same as -45C @sweett11‌ lol. So a little bit colder.
  • NY here and I honestly wore just a fleece. I was running so much hotter than normal that anything else might have killed me. 
  • Thanks, @braasche1! I figure I'll be freezing this winter no matter the temp; we were out at the park a couple weeks ago in the morning and I was in sweats! Compared to FL winters (i.e. maybe 2-3 nights below freezing, if that), this is gonna be cold. 

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• amdftwamdftw member
    I live in New England and I just used and oversized extra thick zip up hoodie.  I was so hot at the end of my pregnancy anyway that it was more than enough.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I live in Ohio, and was due with a mid-December baby (who turned into a late-December baby). I got a cheap coat from Old Navy and I loved it.  I originally planned on just using a thin hoodie, but once it started snowing the second week of November, I was very glad to have it. 

Married 8/2012
    DS born 12/2013 @ 41w2d
    BFP #2 EDD 10/2015

• @braasche1and @leahraewku -- OMG, hit the Gap Clearance store today and scored big time! Picked up a pair of Athleta pants I've been eyeing forever for $4.99!!! Stocked up for SO and on more maternity stuff. I'm in love!

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"