March 2014 Moms

Circumcision on next baby

So that FFFC discussion about babies and hurting got me thinking...if you circumcised your first lo and felt badly for doing so, would you do it to your next lo (assuming they were male of course)?

We circumcised lo because most males are circumcised in our area and essentially we didn't want him to be the odd one out in gym class. All the men in our families are circumcised as are our friends and the male children of all of our friends. However, when they gave lo back to me after doing it at the hospital I felt SO bad that his little manhood was red and hurting looking. He didn't seem bothered by it at all and it healed cleanly in about 2 weeks, but seeing it all wrapped up in gauze and then seeing how much skin was missing and the exposed tissue underneath really made me feel awful for choosing to 'hurt' lo like that. I think I will make the same decision if we have another boy because I don't want them to be different or for next lo to grow up with insecurities / body issues from not having it done......but if I could do it over again I'm not sure I'd make the same choice for lo #1. If that all makes sense. What do you plan on doing and/or your thoughts on the subject?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Circumcision on next baby

• We had LO circumcised and I will do it for all of my sons. It didn't bother him at all and healed perfectly. As my dr said it's a lot easier to do at birth than on an adult.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have done it with all 3 of my boys. I don't regret my decision.
  • Circ-ing is less common in Canada (about 50% of boys get it done). DH is uncirc'd and so are my brothers so we chose not to have it done for DS1 and DS2. My BFF chose to have her first son done, but now says she won't for subsequent boys.

I don't think it's a huge deal for your sons to have different looking penises. They will have other different features (hair colour, eye colour etc) so I don't see it being a problem if their penises aren't the same.
  • Yep, I'd do it again

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had DS done and did it in my OB's office. I was standing at his head and watched the whole thing. The thing that "hurt" him the most was the numbing shot.
    We will do it again if we have another boy.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• babylimas said:
    It is one of those topics that I just can't form an opinion on. I don't feel passionate in any direction. My H is the same way. We were not going to circumcise Will when we found out about his heart, then we decided to once we found out about the DS, then he wasn't able to be in the hospital and we weren't sure if we would ever get around to doing it. Then finally we discovered he had a defect down there and needed surgery, which would give him the appearance to being circumcised. I have just felt very "meh" the entire time. Whatever happens happens. 

And I've said this before, but I don't feel bad about the minor pains. If it's something that's important to you, your kids won't be affected by the very brief pain. If my kid can come through open heart surgery  in infancy without lasting psychological scars, I don't think a quick snip is going to do anything. 
    DH and I were both "meh" about it too so we chose not to. There really wasn't a compelling enough argument for us to have it done. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It was important to DH that it get done and it didn't seem to bother LO they said he only cried when they took him from me then stopped. So if I were having anymore I would definitely get it done.

But it's definitely a personal decision. My SIL and BIL didn't and got a lot of flack about it which I don't think is right. It's a personal choice
  • Ds1&2 we did get done and ds3 we did not. I regret getting it done on my older boys.
  • We didn't and we won't again. If you want to, do it. If you don't, the don't. I'm happy with our choice.

I could be wrong, but I think it's more common in the US than most other parts of the world, besides those who do it for religious reasons.
  • DiMamaDiMama member
    I have a girl so my experience is from my mom who works as an RN in a nursing home. She says that older men have trouble keeping everything clean. She is pro circ for that reason.

Evelyn - 3/15/14

• Yes.  The reasons for deciding to circ haven't changed.  Of course I do not/did not enjoy seeing Levi upset- oh guess what I didnt!  It was over so fast and he nursed and went on with life.  I don't enjoy the idea of him being in pain but All of my boys have been circ'd.  Any future males would be too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We didn't and never would.

BabyFetus Ticker

• My DH was indifferent but we ended up not because I asked him to give me a legit reason why and he didn't have one.

Our LO cried going to the nursery for low osats and don't calm down until I was there...My DH and I couldn't stand the blood test pricks for blood typing and billi...I just can't justify hurting my LO, even briefly without a meaningful reason.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • We will definitely have it done if we have a boy. DH was born in Europe and was uncircumcised. He grew up in the Midwest and was different than all the other boys in the locker room. He chose to have the surgery as a teen. Obviously it was a much bigger deal as a teen than a newborn. This experience has formed our opinion about this though I see how people can be conflicted and make different choices for their own families.
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"