Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Coping with baby blues/staying busy with a newborn

I'm one week postpartum and am definitely experiencing some baby blues.  My husband goes back to work tomorrow and I am absolutely dreading it.  Up until now our routine has been a morning walk and a early evening walk, with an early afternoon nap for me if she is sleeping.  I will continue this but I am looking for some more ideas of things to do to keep me (mostly) and LO busy.  We were told by our pediatrician to avoid busy places (grocery stores, shopping malls) until 8 weeks - so those are out for at least a bit longer.  We're new to the area so I don't have many friends here and our family lives out of state.  I look forward to joining some mom's groups and trying to meet new people but can't do that til she's a bit older.

I'm trying to treasure this time with a newborn but I feel like an emotional basket case.  I know it's temporary feelings but it's so frustrating to deal with in the meantime.  Any strategies for coping with baby blues and/or staying busy with a newborn?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Coping with baby blues/staying busy with a newborn

• Why 8 weeks? It's not flu season... I'm just genuinely curious since we take both kids out to do errands. If I have things to do, I take LO with me, while ds1 is at daycare, otherwise I'd go crazy if I didn't leave the house.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Yeah why 8 weeks?  DS is almost 5 weeks and we have been food shopping, to the mall, to a 4th of July celebration.  Cabin fever started to set in  around week 2.  

Maybe you can try Meetup.com and find a moms group in your area.  Ive made great friends in my old groups.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PP. I started taking LO out almost right away, but with an older child I really didn't have a choice. My Ped also said avoid crowded places but you can certainly go to the grocery store or Target or the mall on a weekday and it shouldn't be too crowded. Wear your LO or keep them in their car seat and you won't have to worry about anyone touching your baby.

And if anyone tries just say "please don't touch her." I've done that more than once - to the lady cleaning tables at Chik Fil A who tried to reach out for LO's leg and some kid at one of DS's summer camps who kept trying to touch my LO when I picked up in the afternoon.

I would go completely insane if I couldn't do more than a walk around the neighborhood for 8 weeks. I avoided movie theaters, church, etc. where you may be stuck sitting next to someone who's coughing and sneezing, so I would just say do what feels right to you.

DD is 13 weeks and she's been to a few parties, a bunch of lacrosse games, restaurants, grocery stores, Target, the farmers market, etc.

• I'm not sure why 8 weeks. The doctor we did our prenatal visit with okayed a trip to a family reunion at 6 weeks. However we saw someone else in the practice for our first peds appt and were told 8 weeks. No health issues so my guess is it's in regards to the 2 month immunizations? I kinda knew we wouldn't make it to 8 weeks of staying in for the most part but was trying to hold out a little longer.
  • And I have looked into meetup, looking forward to some mommy and me yoga classes, etc. However same issue - all those things tend to be for babies a bit older. I was trying to find ideas for newborns.
  • Aimes33m said:
    I'm not sure why 8 weeks. The doctor we did our prenatal visit with okayed a trip to a family reunion at 6 weeks. However we saw someone else in the practice for our first peds appt and were told 8 weeks. No health issues so my guess is it's in regards to the 2 month immunizations? I kinda knew we wouldn't make it to 8 weeks of staying in for the most part but was trying to hold out a little longer.
    our pediatrician recommended the same thing.  she said it was okay to go outside for walks, or for quick trips to the store if i had to but to avoid over-crowded places - reason being because LO hadn't received any vaccinations yet.  

i took LO to the store if it was a quick trip, but avoided the mall. we went outside for walks - around the neighborhood, into town for coffee, etc

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • Wow. You guys have some old fashioned pediatricians. Mine told us to behave normally. Baby is protected by mom's immune system the first several weeks of life. It's incredibly unusual for them to get much of anything during the first couple of months. And you want them to start building their own immune systems. Do as much as you can while LO is still immobile! And by all means, try to find new moms' groups. If most of the babies are older, good for you! More people who've already braved the waters you are entering!
  • yeah.yeah. member
    Find a moms group. I think I started mine around 2 weeks and it was a lifesaver. there is nothing worse than being alone - go to a coffee shop, go to the playground, hell, go anywhere where there are people. And hang in there, mama.
  • yeah. said:
    Find a moms group. I think I started mine around 2 weeks and it was a lifesaver. there is nothing worse than being alone - go to a coffee shop, go to the playground, hell, go anywhere where there are people. And hang in there, mama.
    You're so right - it's hard being alone.  I've looked into some breastfeeding support groups.  UNfortunately a lot of the meetup groups in my area don't seem to be too active.  Any other resources people know of for finding mom's groups?
  • Hey @Aimes33m.. I'm lurking from PG>35 but I've been researching some new mom groups myself just to be prepared.

My city has a Motherhood Center.  Don't know if they're a chain but they have free once-per-week new mom session where you go to talk about your experiences for babies up to 6 months.  They also have mom+baby music sessions newborn - 4 years.  There might be something similar in your area.  I found it on the internet.

Gymboreeclasses.com has classes for 0-6 months.  They are a chain so you'll likely find one in your area.

There's also the fit4mom.com franchise.  They have social events on top of the exercise programs.  I think the baby has to be at least 6 weeks for the exercise programs.

I've also found a couple of Barnes and Noble locations that have story sessions - more appropriate for older kids I guess.

You can also google to see if you there are any free postpartum depression support groups in your area if you think you'll find them useful.  My city has them.

Good luck!
  • Thank you for suggestions @neonnoon! I can't find any motherhood centers with a quick search (though the one in Houston looks awesome, is that where you are?) I did find a Gymboree relatively close so we'll definitely try that. I looked into the fit4mom franchise - and yes, it's 6 weeks old minimum so we'll have to wait a bit on that. I do have a postpartum support group lined up as well. Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated!
  • Yes I am in Houston.  I've been here a few years and love the city but have only managed to make acquaintances rather than build a network of people I can rely on.  So, I am anxious to find other means to meet my needs.  Hope the Gymboree works out for you. Take care :)
  • Did you try your local hospital? Many of then have new mom groups weekly.
  • Lots of libraries have storytime and playgroups. Our library does storytime for newborn to 5 years. Maybe check in to something like that.
  • Hi @Aimes33m :)  I was curious if you made any progress.  Did you find anything that worked?
  • MommyAtty said:
    Wow. You guys have some old fashioned pediatricians. Mine told us to behave normally. Baby is protected by mom's immune system the first several weeks of life. It's incredibly unusual for them to get much of anything during the first couple of months. And you want them to start building their own immune systems. Do as much as you can while LO is still immobile! And by all means, try to find new moms' groups. If most of the babies are older, good for you! More people who've already braved the waters you are entering!

I wouldn't say it's incredibly unusual for them to get anything during the first couple of months.  We just got back from a 4 day hospital stay where my daughter was admitted for suspected bacterial meningitis (scary).  Turns out it was just a virus, most likely picked up from DS, who is in daycare.  While she's okay, it was scary. 

I'm all for being out and about, but to say it's unusual for a young baby to get sick is incredibly misleading.  The pedi who treated her said that there's been a lot of neonatal febrile (high fever >101°F in a baby less than two months of age) cases this summer.  Apparently there's a wicked little virus going around.

• @neonnoon - Thanks for asking.  I am doing a lot better.  It was definitely the baby blues.  Around 14days postpartum I started to feel a definite improvement in my mood - thank goodness.  Hard days still from time to time but overall feeling a lot better.  The best thing I found is a postpartum breastfeeding support group run by a local hospital.  Lots of new moms and the chance to get out and meet some people.  It's just about finding active groups -unfortunately a postpartum support group was pretty unsuccessful because it wasn't very well attended.  In any case I'm looking forward to joining some other groups in the next few weeks as she gets a bit older but making do with the breastfeeding group and lots of walks in the meantime.

@argonne - scary!  Hope your LO is doing better now!  
  • I am a first time mom to my little peanut - I am 1 month in and am having a hard time being alone all day too - my maternity doesn't end for another month and a half! I try to get out as much as I can - if a friend or family memeber is around I jump at the opportunity to be around people - I have a history of anxiety and it kicks up during times of big change and being isolated does not help! The mother groups in my area are also non active and the only thing I have found are things for toddlers - I'm going to try to start a new moms group on meet up and see how that goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"