January 2014 Moms

Baby/ Provider Ratio

What is the ratio of babies to "teachers" at v your DCP? How many babies would you be comfortable having watched by one person. I know my state allows six, but this is too many IMO for the kids to get quality care.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

Re: Baby/ Provider Ratio

• We are 5 non-mobile babies to 2 providers.  This is excellent IMO.  I don't think I'd be comfortable with more than 3 or 4 to 1.  The next room up (mobile to 18 months or 2 yrs) is 5 to 1.  Our daycare usually combines these 2 rooms and has 2-3 people per day for 8-9 kids.  Sometimes the ratio is even better towards the end of the day when a lot of the kids have gone home and the last couple from the next class up join these 2 classes.  It makes for a lot of fun and interaction between the kids.
  • umma4babesumma4babes member
    edited July 2014
    The max is 4:1 in DD's DC. In reality, there's 3 babies (1 full time and 2 part time) including mine, with usually 2 teachers around. The ratio stays 4:1 until babies are 36 months. DS has been going to the same daycare (now preschool) for years and it's always been more like 6-7 kids with 2 teachers in the classroom. I like that our DC errs on the side of having surplus teachers rather than the other way around.

Eta: our DC also doesn't combine mobile vs non mobile babies in one classroom. Babies generally "graduate" to next level when they start walking, because it poses safety issue for non mobile babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • 4 babies to one provider. During the bulk of the day (10-3) there are 3 providers for 8 children under age 1 max.

• Legally it's 5:1 in my state. My daycare will allow for no more than that. Normally it's 4:1 at my DC provider. They are great there and LO smiles and smiles at them when I drop her off and pick her up so I know she's being taken care of. She doesn't just have out smiles to anyone.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Infant room is 1 to 4 and toddler 1 to 6 or maybe it's 1 to 8, something like that.

• In my state it is 4 - 1 until 18 months old and then it goes up.  During the peak part of my center's day they have 3 teachers in the room for 8 kids.
  • 12-15 months is 3:1, 15 month- 2 yr is 5:1
    [Deleted User]
  • Our DCP was 3:1, ages 10m, 8m, and ds is 6m. It was going really well and the woman working the room was awesome. Then they added a 6 wk old w/ no plans to add anyone to the room and our awesome person left (it was long time coming ). Today when we dropped off there's a 5th baby, probably 7ish months, and totally new people (splitting morning and afternoon, so still one person at a time). Babies were crying everywhere and the girl already looked flustered. I asked DH to stop by at lunch and he said it was "f-ing chaos". I really don't see this working out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• blue_elle said:

Our DCP was 3:1, ages 10m, 8m, and ds is 6m. It was going really well and the woman working the room was awesome. Then they added a 6 wk old w/ no plans to add anyone to the room and our awesome person left (it was long time coming ). Today when we dropped off there's a 5th baby, probably 7ish months, and totally new people (splitting morning and afternoon, so still one person at a time). Babies were crying everywhere and the girl already looked flustered. I asked DH to stop by at lunch and he said it was "f-ing chaos". I really don't see this working out.

Is that ratio something that's set in stone? If you were told it's 3:1 or 4:1 or whatever else, then they have to abide by it. Regardless, it doesn't sound like they are equipped to handle increased ratio, so I'd look for a different facility.
  • Mine is legally 5:1 but it typically ends up being more like 3:1 because of the amount of kids/teachers fluctuates during the day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"