January 2014 Moms

Baby contests. Yay or Nay?

I figure somewhere on TB this has to be a controversial topic but J14 seems to be able to not blow things out of proportion.  So what's your take?  Harmless or evil?  I figure it's all in good fun as long as it doesn't become an obsession with moms.  I'm putting Hunter in the baby contest at our home town festival this fall.  I figure you get some cute pictures out of it and if he wins something then it's cool.  If he doesn't win it's still cool.  He's the cutest thing in diapers to me either way.  I think once a baby is in the 18 month to 2 yr catagory then it's time to stop. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby contests. Yay or Nay?

• km_mdkm_md member
    My parents put us in one at a big local festival when we were younger. Just because. I have no plans of putting DD in any and they really aren't big here so I don't even know where I'd go if I wanted to. I don't see the harm in doing one or two just for fun.

• ccip82ccip82 member
    I have a big problem with ones like these:

Something like you are describing- meh- It's not for me, but I really do not see it being harmful.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

goldenB[Deleted User]umma4babeskarah4816
  • Loading the player...
  • ccip82 said:
    I have a big problem with ones like these:

Something like you are describing- meh- It's not for me, but I really do not see it being harmful.

Yea, that^^ would be the obsession I was talking about.  I don't even know if they give prizes of any sort at our hometown one.  It might just be a "title". Lol!
  • It's not really my thing, but I definitely wouldn't call what you're describing "evil."
  • I don't know that I'd put DS in one, but I'm not opposed.

However, I do dislike the "vote for my baby" contests I see in my FB news feed. FFFC - Your baby is not cuter than those other babies, and I will not be voting for that nonsense.
    @kellydew09 -- I totally agree. Plus, I am a voting purist. I never vote for someone just because I know him/her, not for anything. I always vote for whatever or whomever I think is the best.
    painttheair14
  •  

I don't know that I'd put DS in one, but I'm not opposed.

However, I do dislike the "vote for my baby" contests I see in my FB news feed. FFFC - Your baby is not cuter than those other babies, and I will not be voting for that nonsense.
    I haven't seen those yet on FB.  What is currently irking me about FB are all of the Go Fund Me campaigns. 

• I don't know that I'd put DS in one, but I'm not opposed.

@kellydew09 -- I totally agree. Plus, I am a voting purist. I never vote for someone just because I know him/her, not for anything. I always vote for whatever or whomever I think is the best.

THANK YOU!!! I feel the same about all "Vote for me" crap. I'll vote for who I damn well please, thanks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• I think something like what you're describing is totally fine. I'd assume it's just to add fun to the local festival/raise money for local causes - so yeah I see nothing wrong with that! Hope you and your little one have fun!
  • I think they're okay as long as the parents don't become obsessed with winning. I'm talking Toddlers and Tiaras stuff. Just let the kids have fun already!
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  •      It all depends on the type of contest.
         It wouldn't bother me if  my baby 'lost' because there are still cool/fun components to it that are healthy for baby and family.I'm sure my baby would NEVER lose though ;) On the flip side, I do think certain contests do feature practices that are inappropriate and I would just keep my LO away from those.
                January Siggy Challenge

Praying for our May15 baby!          January 2014- Welcome Sweet Kimber!
    image     image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"