December 2014 Moms
Options

Prenatal Vitamin Oops

When I first was pregnant, my husband went to Walgreens and bought me these prenatal vitamins that are absolutely terrible. I had bad nausea on top of how horrible they were and was throwing them up. I switched to gummies while I was really nauseous. When the gummies ran out, I bought some other prenatals at Target. I had been taking the Target ones for about 2 weeks and noticed I am severely fatigued. I mean EXHAUSTED - eyes burning and everything. I was really confused by this as I am getting plenty of sleep. Tonight, I decided to take a look at what was in my Target prenatals to discover, I only bought a DHA supplement! The only vitamin I was getting was DHA- that's it. So, I decided to take some of my leftover nasty Walgreens vitamins. OMG THEY ARE SO DISGUSTING!!! Maybe this will help with the fatigue though. Until then, I will be burping nastiness- nothing takes the taste away.

Re: Prenatal Vitamin Oops

• Options
    ltp10 said:

When I first was pregnant, my husband went to Walgreens and bought me these prenatal vitamins that are absolutely terrible. I had bad nausea on top of how horrible they were and was throwing them up. I switched to gummies while I was really nauseous. When the gummies ran out, I bought some other prenatals at Target. I had been taking the Target ones for about 2 weeks and noticed I am severely fatigued. I mean EXHAUSTED - eyes burning and everything. I was really confused by this as I am getting plenty of sleep. Tonight, I decided to take a look at what was in my Target prenatals to discover, I only bought a DHA supplement! The only vitamin I was getting was DHA- that's it. So, I decided to take some of my leftover nasty Walgreens vitamins. OMG THEY ARE SO DISGUSTING!!! Maybe this will help with the fatigue though. Until then, I will be burping nastiness- nothing takes the taste away.

Surprised Target did not have a gummy pre natal. They seem to have everything. Hopefully you can find another pre natal that you like versus the disgusting one.

Test
  • Options
    path75path75 member
    Yeah I noticed early on the sell the DHA supplement separately. The ones I got from CVS, I think Mother's Nature brand, has DHA in the prenatel vitamin. I don't understand why you should have to take two pills. I know some prenatals work that way. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Amazon has some really good prenatal gummy vitamins
  • Options
    I think some prenatals avoid dha because of the scent or aftertaste of dha, it's more money to include it when it's not required or maybe it's easier on the formulation to exclude it. I take a prenatal and a dha separately because all the prenatals I tried with dha were causing headaches/ constipation/ vomiting of some sort. I take one in the morning and one at lunch, and then calcium in the evening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I take select OB with DHA 2 pill pack, they have been great!
  • Options
    Rainbow light has been a good brand for me thus far.
  • Options
    Similar happened to me - I wasn't paying attention and bought the Fiber and Calcium supplement instead of the regular prenatals. I was taking them for a week before I realized my mistake! I blame it on taking a toddler to Target with me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I switched a few times because of gross or nausea inducing prenatals and have finally settled on a type I really like -it is a pack you take each night, but I feel like I am getting much more benefit than I was with just the one pill versions and it forces me to drink more water just to take the whole pack -which is good because I've always struggled with drinking enough water. I buy them on Amazon, free shipping, they are called: Biotics Research Corporation Pre-Natal Packs, and they come in 31 packs per bottle. I buy the two bottle version to save a little money. I take a B-Stress complex by Soloray on top of that for help with energy since I am still working 50 hour weeks. Hope this helps someone. :)
  • Options
    Sorry, I take them at night. I should say it's a pack you take each day - time of day totally up to you.
  • Options
    I had the same issue my first trimester. Every prenatal I took caused me to vomit. I took the gummies until I could find one that worked. But the best ones my DR perscribed were the Vitafol-One prenatal vitamins. They are gel and don't have a weird smell or taste and are easy to swallow.
  • Options
    I'm taking "materna" they have everything and no taste
  • Options
    Yes, gummy vitamins don't contain iron (it would make them a gross blackish color). And ironically, iron is what usually makes you nauseated. It takes a long time to recover your iron
    Levels talk to your midwife about having your levels tested and prescribing a higher dose supplement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"