August 2014 Moms

Labor Munchies! Tell me about your last meal.

Since many hospitals discourage eating while in labor, I'm wondering what your last meal will be before baby's arrival. My doula suggested a carb-heavy meal. So, in early labor I'll probably have DH pick up some yummy spaghetti from my fav Italian joint. How about you?!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Labor Munchies! Tell me about your last meal.

• I'm pretty sure I'll do pasta. My all-time favorite pasta recipe is one we cook at home (pasta arrabiatta, with our personal touch), so if I have time I'll make that. Which reminds me, I had better make sure I have ingredients on hand at all times from now on.
  • Hmmm...I haven't even thought about this. And I am a RCS, so I really can plan. :) Ummm, I think I will choose to go to a japenese steak house. Mmmm.

• Loading the player...
  • I went into labor in the middle of the night, and stuffed my face with a couple granola bars on the way to the hospital.

Not very glamerous !

• I would seriously just love pizza huts Alfredo pasta and salad bar. If I don't have time to order it a fast food place will work. Or granola bars from my purse stash lol. I plan on brining hard candies to suck on though, they don't usually mind those and it takes the edge of some.
  • Maybe a calzone, or a nice, big burger. I will definitely be sure to eat this time. I think I only poked at dinner last time and didn't eat before we left for L+D! Won't make that mistake again ;)
  • BeachMBeachM member
    I won't be able to eat after midnight before my RCS the next morning. I'm not really sure yet but will keep in mind that what goes in must come back out! So something with protein and fiber and not greasy.

• I'm RCS and I'm not allowed to eat after 5pm!!!! So it will have to be something heavy carb.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • I was allowed to eat throughout my labor, as long as I understood that it might not stay down so choose wisely. Luckily I had a bit of nausea but didn't throw up. I don't remember what I ate pre-labor but during labor I had a lot of fruit and some toast. As things picked up, I drank juice and kept drinking lots of water. I attempted a sip of milkshake and that felt awful so I quickly gave up on that but real food was nice until I got too focused on contractions and my body wasn't interested in eating anymore.
  • What happens if your hospital doesn't "allow" eating during labor and you do it anyway? Do they ask you to leave? I have no idea whether my hospital allows eating, and I'm not going to ask. I'm just going to bring snacks and consume them if I so desire.
  • I'm kind of afraid to eat too much so I don't end up pooping!

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • I gave birth at home with both of mine (the first one unplanned, the second one planned). I don't remember what I ate while I was doing every scrap of laundry I could find during my first labor. With my second, I woke up at about 5 am ... contractions started at 6 and she was here at 10 am. I remember them giving me sips of liquids...I don't recall any food until afterward. I think he made me steak and eggs...but I could be wrong. Food really wasn't on my mind. ;)

I don't have any restrictions on what I can eat other than what I'm interested in as this one will be at home too. I'm leaning toward finger foods that I can pick at. I really don't have enough interest to sit down to a big meal around my birth time.

• Is it bad that what I really want is a cheeseburger, animal-style fries and a strawberry milkshake from In N Out? As my "last meal" before labor AND my first meal when it's done??
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• In an ideal world, steak.
    But really I know as soon as I go into labor I won't want to eat much.

Mom  to S-07/22/10 & Q-12/14/11 L-8/23/14

• caybehcaybeh member
    I was allowed to eat during labor. Then again, I was 1 cm dilated and my water had broke. I ordered toast for breakfast and that was my last meal. The nurses actually encouraged me to order something for lunch, but that was about the time labor got really intense, and eating was the last thing on my mind.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• I had pizza with DD. Or attempted to. Turns out I was in active labor and wasn't feeling much like eating. FIL got me some food though at 1:00am after I had DD.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I can't remember what I had with DD, however; this post gives me time to think. I'll probably have pasta with some type of seafood.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was induced so I had aw
    Krystal burgers and fries before I went in. This time I do not plan on being induced so who knows.... However I plan on eating light snack during labor if I want. My hospital does not recommend it but they don't really say anything.
    TTC#1 11.1.2010 |  BFP 1.4.2011 | Benton Henry born 9.13.2011

TTC #2 11.1.2013 | BFP 12.17.13 | Due Date 8.22.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The nurse for our birth class suggested protein. I ate a string cheese. I went into labor at 2 am and felt pretty sick in early labor. I made myself eat a string cheese before going to the doctor. I will try to eat a bit more this time. On a side note, in the labor video we watched in our class the lady kept talking about how she shouldn't have eaten that cheesesteak. I don't remember a lot from that class, but no cheesesteaks comes to mind :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"