January 2014 Moms

UO Thursday

I was waiting and waiting:

but no one wanted to start it. So here we go:

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • I'm fed up with the way people are idolizing that criminal that took the good mug shot.  Seriously?!  A modeling contract for commiting crimes and taking a good mugshot.  That's what kids are going to aspire to now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    mommygrams0730
  • True, it was a generalization.  Most kids know better than that.  I guess it just bothers me because we live in an area with a lot of gang activity and petty crime type stuff and a lot of kids don't worry about getting in trouble with the law because it is the norm. Now, by idolizing this guy, we just further enforce that it's no big deal to get in trouble.  Heck, you might even get famous for it.
  • That toddler who died in the car in Georgia? I am frustrated that the fact they had life insurance on him immediately is suspect. Many parents have life insurance on their children for burial expenses or as an investment vehicle and don't plot to kill their children.

Disclaimer: I am in no way suggesting the father is anything but guilty. I do believe that it wasn't an accident. But this life insurance aspect makes people who also get insurance on their kids get the side eye when they shouldn't be.

I can't deal with stories like this. I just can't. (The crime itself, not the life insurance part)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• I don't give a Damn about panty lines, I hate thongs mostly because my large butt just doesn't work with them. I wear bikini all the time and for the most part I couldn't care less if you can tell I'm wearing underwear.
    [Deleted User]thelittlepear
  • jcwinsto said:
    True, it was a generalization.  Most kids know better than that.  I guess it just bothers me because we live in an area with a lot of gang activity and petty crime type stuff and a lot of kids don't worry about getting in trouble with the law because it is the norm. Now, by idolizing this guy, we just further enforce that it's no big deal to get in trouble.  Heck, you might even get famous for it.
    Fixed the box
    Once again, you are making a sweeping generalization about the kids in your area. You do realize that poverty breeds poverty right? Children don't commit crimes because they WANT to, generally it is for many other reasons: theft - need for food, B&E - acceptance, drug sales - need money, gang related activity - acceptance. 

It is very rare for a kid who has walked through my door (I work for a criminal defense attorney) to have committed the crime because they just thought it'd be fun. There are so many other factors at play, and I think that your sweeping generalizations just give teenagers a stigma, especially those when coupled with already prevalent stigmas associated with race, income level, family status, etc.

If you are that concerned, why not become part of the solution instead of complaining about something you *think* is going to happen.

I guess I'm confused.  I never said they did it because they wanted to.  I said they did it because it was the norm.  Yes, I did make a generalization that the kids who get in trouble with the law around here tend to not think it is a big deal.  You made my point by saying that poverty breeds poverty.  That is unfortunately what happens around here usually.  Sometimes, after they face the consequences they realize the mistake. Sometimes, it never sinks in.

By idolizing this guy I feel like we are normalizing crime, making it more acceptable to have a criminal history.  It is working opposite of what many programs in the community are trying to do which is trying to empower kids through knowledge and opportunities and occupy them with recreational activities so that they don't have as much a chance of getting sucked in to that bad cycle. 

Also, I don't understand where you are coming from with the statement about me complaining and not doing anything about it.  You have no idea what I do within my community.  I don't understand why I can't state my distaste for one of the many instances of idolizing someone who shouldn't be idolized.

• Ryan gosling is not attractive.
    jcwinstonolagal79MiaMyPuggle
  • I don't give a Damn about panty lines, I hate thongs mostly because my large butt just doesn't work with them. I wear bikini all the time and for the most part I couldn't care less if you can tell I'm wearing underwear.
    @somewierd_person Ha! This is how I feel this summer!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinchirico/curvy-girl-summertime-sadness?bffb
    Tylynngrace
  • Here's one:

I find in my small town that breastfeeding moms are WAY more judgmental than formula feeding moms and it makes me so annoyed. My DS is a distracted eater so I feed him pumped breastmilk from a bottle under a cover when we are in public. I actually had some Le Leche league people come over to me and rag on me for using a cover (it's people like me apparently who make it taboo to NIP). I told them DS was a distracted eater and showed them the bottle and they automatically assumed it was formula and gave me a lecture on that too.

So my unpopular opinion is that not only do I find breastfeeding moms way more judgemental than EP pumping moms and formula feeding moms but I also thing that these people are actually contributing to the problem of breastfeeding not being accepted because they are just so over the top about it.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

MJamison1020growingmybun
  • @holly1416 I would make an official complaint to the La leche league for doing that to you. They should be encouraging you, not bringing you down and judging you on why you're using a bottle. Fucking turds.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]thegosiersMJamison1020
  • Yeah, they are really over the top here (re: Le leche league). I think the reason is that we live in a small university town so they town is actually quite liberal because of that, however, the routes of the town are very conservative/catholic so I find the liberal side is often over compensating. But it has almost gotten to the point where I'm almost embarrassed to feed my LO a bottle in public for fear of what people will say.

Sorry, I thought ragging on breast feeding mothers would spice up this thread but turns out the ones in my town are actually just bitches and it was not just me thinking that ;)

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• I despise the term "boob juice".
    AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
    sugarland726sabriel1painttheair14
  • I love to call it boob juice :)

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

[Deleted User]RedSaffron
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"