December 2014 Moms

Too much weight early

Hi there. I am 15 weeks. Petite in height. My doc told me not to gain any weight. I wasnt overweight before, but in the acceptable bracket. Well, i gained 10 lbs. i go to the doctor next week and fear she will tear into me. I also did a survey online that says i am now because of the weight gain, 6 lbs over recommended women my height. I walk at least 1.5 miles 5 days a week. I keep track of my calories. I go over maybe 100 or so some days but under recommendation other days. Im so worried ill get huge and my doctor is not going to be pleased. It was hard not to gain weight early. I wasnt really nauseous, just hungry! Now i gained and am worried it will just keep comin. Anyone else?

Re: Too much weight early

• I don't know why your dr told you not to gain any weight.  That seems a little ridiculous to me.  Weight gain is part of the process, some women gain more and others less.  Just be healthy and exercise (which is sounds like you're doing) and you'll be fine.  
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Congratulations!  With my first pregnancy I gained "a lot of weight" for being petite, which was 37 lbs (I wasn't overweight before either).  My doctor got mean about my weight during the last month.  If you stick to eating healthier (nutrient dense) items and making sure that you get exercise (almost) daily, you'll be fine.  Don't beat yourself up over it.  As long as the baby is doing well and you are too, everything is great!  I have a new doctor with my second (and I started over weight), she hasn't said a word. 

Good luck!  
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 18 weeks and have gained 11 pounds since I found out I was preggo. I was a little over weight pre pregnancy and my last doc appointment my doc told me my weight was fine. I wouldn't worry like the other ladies have said weight gain is part of the process :)
  • Don't worry about it. Every pregnancy and woman is different. With DS, I gained 10 lbs total over the whole pregnancy and he was a 7lb'er. Doc was happy. This pregnancy, I'm already up 16 lbs at 17 weeks and doc is also happy. No stress. Just try and eat healthfully and stay active. The rest will take care of itself.

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited July 2014
    This makes no sense to me. I'm over 250 pounds, and I'm allowed to gain up to 15 pounds during the pregnancy (the weight of the baby, placenta, and various increased bodily fluids). Most women should expect to gain around 30 pounds over the course of the pregnancy. My body happens to be more efficient during pregnancy and I lost during my two previous ones and again during this one, but it's something my doctors and I are keeping an eye on to make sure the kiddo is healthy.

Again, I've NEVER heard of an OB saying you can't gain anything. If my OB said this to me, I'd be looking for a new one, honestly. If you don't gain (or even lose a little) and you have plenty to start with and your baby is gaining appropriately, then fine. But this doesn't sound like your situation from what you described.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• 1214em1214em member
    Thanks ladies. I am barely over 5 foot and after the gain now 140. I am on track as over range now for pregnancy. My doctor i guess wanted me to stay in a healthy range, as being petite it doesnt take much. She suggested a gluten free diet bc i do have digestive issues they hadnt been able to pitpoint. I have given in to some pastas and junk while pregnant but i still do my banana and oatmeal for breakfast, apples as snacks or lara bars. I had a heavy craving for apple juice too for about 2 weeks so i was drinking a lot of empty sugars and calories. I dont want to be fat. I want to be healthy while pregnant. My doc's comment just increased that worry.
    My digestive issues have been hard being pregnant so far. Constipation is even worse and sometimes i only "go" once a week. Nothing seems to help.
  • edited July 2014
    I'm in the opposite boat, I'm 18 weeks and have only gained 2lbs. Doc said I should be gaining a pound a week. I'm quite petite so I assumed I would gain easily, but it's not as easy as I thought!
    Don't worry about your doc, as long as you're eating healthy and exercising! Everyone is different.

Eta: words
    *TEAM PINK*
    TTC#1 Since November 2013 // BFP March 27, 2014 // EDD December 11, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary
  • BeevolBeevol member
    I started my first pregnancy on the line between "healthy weight" and  "over weight" and I sat on my ass and ate a bunch of ice cream (in addition to healthy foods) and gained 40 pounds which I lost pretty quickly by breast feeding, sitting on my ass, and eating less ice cream but not dieting but any means. This time I started 10 lbs heavier (2 week vacation with family packed them on) and fully into the "over weight" category and to be honest? I'm on track to gain the exact same amount as before (though, I'm not eating nearly as poorly as I did with my first). Neither my doctor nor I are all that worried. 

As long as your don't have any weird health conditions, your fetus is growing (that's why they measure your belly/fundal height), your blood sugar is healthy, and you are eating good food and not just going crazy with the ice cream (or, do go crazy with it? I totally ate ice cream every day for months with my first pregnancy and I don't regret a bite), you'll be fine. Those charts that say gain this much the first few months then this much the next are guidelines, not laws. Every body reacts to pregnancy differently, some people gain more than others, and all of them still end up with healthy babies and healthy mommies at the end of it. 
  • I started off overweight and I've already gained 20 pounds. I'm not especially thrilled about it, but my OB's opinion is that as long as the baby is growing (he is) and my blood sugar and blood pressure are good (perfect right now--and I had an early glucose test just to make sure), that we're not going to stress about my weight. I've just been cleared to exercise after months of restrictions due to an early bleed, but I'm going to focus on feeling good, not calories burned. Try not to worry too much.
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like others have said everyone of different. I'm in trouble with my Ob for losing 10 lbs and yet I'm still in the 150 s. Your damned if you do damned if you don't. Just eat healthy and stay active that is about all you can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"