January 2014 Moms

TTM - nannies/nanny share

M's daycare teacher is quitting due to issues with the owner. She's the only reason he goes there. She asked if we would be interested in a nanny (her) and said we could pay her what we pay the daycare, which would be a steal, but not fair to her since we don't pay enough for her to even make min. wage. With two kids, though, it would be comparable to her current pay. We're kicking around the idea of a nanny share situation with another mom who's daughter is in the same room.

I'm racking my brain on this, trying to weigh all sides. We have to consider liability issues with having another baby in our home. Taxes have to be worked out. What about baby gear and toys (extra highchair? Place for her to nap?)

Anyone have experience with nannies and/or nanny share? What do we need to consider before we move on this?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

Re: TTM - nannies/nanny share

• We pay our nanny cash, no taxes so I'm no help there.

My sil did a nanny share with a family friend and they swapped house every 2 weeks.

As for baby items you could always garage sale for extra things ( high chair, pnp, etc) similar to of you were getting extra items for at grandparents house.

I'm wondering if you posted this in working moms if they'd have some good ideas for you.

• blue_elleblue_elle member
    edited July 2014
    @mommy grams‌ we have a dependent care account that I had, of course, just signed up for through my employer. We have to give her tax ID to get reimbursement, so no way to avoid. We made sure she was aware right off when we stated discussing.

Eta: tag fail!

• Loading the player...
  • What is a dependent care account?
    I have these tiny people who follow me around and call me mom, they are cute, so I let them stay.
  • @bugbugandthree it's a flexible spending account. You can set aside pre-tax money, up to 5K per year for most people, to pay for dependent care (children under a certain age, elderly parents you care for, or a disabled spouse). If your employer doesn't offer this type of benefit, you can claim the dependent care credit when you file your taxes, but given the option of one or the other, the FSA generally gives a bigger savings. If you have more than one child and your child care expense exceeds the 5K FSA limit, you may also be able take a portion of the dependent care credit.

• Oh I've never heard of such a thing but what a wonderful benefit.
    I have these tiny people who follow me around and call me mom, they are cute, so I let them stay.
  • You also have to pay a part of the taxes as the employer. I'm some states, you need to provide Workman's comp insurance. And you will probably want to hire a payroll service that can handle all of the above for you so you don't make a mistake and get into trouble with the IRS.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"