January 2014 Moms

dropping 3rd nap?

How do you know when its time to start thinking about dropping LO's 3rd nap of the day? DD usually wakes between 6:30 and 7am and goes to bed around 8pm. In order to make it through the day, we usually have 2 long naps and a 3rd short cat nap around 4:30 or 5pm. 

The first 2 naps of the day are a breeze to put her down for and she will be asleep in 5 minutes tops, but the afternoon nap is reaaaaaally hard and she'll babble, play, kick, and fuss in her crib for up to 30 minutes and sometimes even longer if I let her. Sometimes its pointless to even let her sleep after that point because then she's napping too close to her bedtime, so I'll go and get her and we skip the 3rd nap. This leads to her being VERY tired even if we make bedtime earlier than normal.

I have been trying to push her bedtime up to about 7:15 or 7:30, but the problem is that she sometimes she will end up drinking less formula, which I don't feel very comfortable with since she already eats on the low end of the daily recommended amount. 

Should I just consider dropping nap #3 or just persist on and hope that some days she will sleep and if nothing else, encourage some alone crib time by herself?

Re: dropping 3rd nap?

• Inconsistent nap schedule and BF on demand here, so.... I'm no help.
    [Deleted User]
  • IMO if putting her to bed earlier means she'll drink less formula right now it could regulate itself after a few days of just two naps and the earlier bedtime. 

Just like when babies start sleeping through the night they often increase the amount they eat during the day in order to compensate so if it were me I'd try the new 2 nap schedule with the earlier bedtime for 4 days or so and see if her formula intake improves during the day but that's just me.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

amt0312
  • Loading the player...
  • I wish we had true nap schedule. Grace is a catnap queen. 15 mins her and there maybe tops 1 1/2 hr. then a bear in the evening once home from school. Then she wants another short 15-30 minutes wakes happy and giggling. She goes down by 830-9 and if sooner shes up to eat around 330am. So I have no advice from this house!
  • 3rd nap? I'm lucky to get ONE! Wish I could get 3 out of my little one lol :) but I would vote drop it and move bedtime up. LO will eat more eventually and compensate at other times.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

umma4babes[Deleted User]holly142
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll see about cutting out that 3rd nap and see if she doesn't increase her intake during the day. 

@danaadell that's pretty much how our schedule is except I don't breastfeed. It just happens that naps fall around the same time everyday. She wakes up around the same time every day regardless of what time she went to bed, so she regulates herself. Has nothing to do with me!
  • Inconsistent nap schedule and BF on demand here, so.... I'm no help.

Pretty close to this but I just kind of roll with it. Some says are 3 naps some are 2. Most of it depends on his wake up time and also how long his other naps are. Yesterday he only needed 2 naps because both were 2 hrs long. I've found if he wakes up before 7 it's usually a 3 nap day because his first nap is so early. Because I'm home for the summer it's easy for me to float back and forth between 2-3 naps.

Are you able to just give him that little cat nap in the evening as needed? I've also found that on the days he needs it if I don't he's falling asleep at 6 and then up at 5.... I do not do 5am! Lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What's a nap?

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
    ♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
    ♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

MrsW062610
  • amt0312 said:
    How do you know when its time to start thinking about dropping LO's 3rd nap of the day? DD usually wakes between 6:30 and 7am and goes to bed around 8pm. In order to make it through the day, we usually have 2 long naps and a 3rd short cat nap around 4:30 or 5pm. 

The first 2 naps of the day are a breeze to put her down for and she will be asleep in 5 minutes tops, but the afternoon nap is reaaaaaally hard and she'll babble, play, kick, and fuss in her crib for up to 30 minutes and sometimes even longer if I let her. Sometimes its pointless to even let her sleep after that point because then she's napping too close to her bedtime, so I'll go and get her and we skip the 3rd nap. This leads to her being VERY tired even if we make bedtime earlier than normal.

I have been trying to push her bedtime up to about 7:15 or 7:30, but the problem is that she sometimes she will end up drinking less formula, which I don't feel very comfortable with since she already eats on the low end of the daily recommended amount. 

Should I just consider dropping nap #3 or just persist on and hope that some days she will sleep and if nothing else, encourage some alone crib time by herself?
    if this is a hard nap for her then we can trade babies anytime you are ready. :)
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
    [Deleted User]amt0312
  • @cara1024 haha...I will admit, I am lucky to have a good sleeper. I really didn't intend to come across as being like its hard work for me. It's not, I just put her in her crib and walk away. I guess its more or less hard for her because she's all wound up and probably overstimulated by that point.
  • I would skip the 3rd nap, especially if the baby is already having two good naps and fighting the 3rd one. My LO has one long nap and sometimes a short nap, but I think she gets most of her good sleep at night.
  • My dd is a terrible napper. I wish she took 3 naps.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Thanks everyone for the advice! 
  • amt0312 said:
    @cara1024 haha...I will admit, I am lucky to have a good sleeper. I really didn't intend to come across as being like its hard work for me. It's not, I just put her in her crib and walk away. I guess its more or less hard for her because she's all wound up and probably overstimulated by that point.
    amt0312
    oh don't mind me. i'm just sleep deprived and was having a extra rough go of it yesterday.
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
  • Abigail just dropped hers this past week. She'll be fussy and we would bounce with her and she just wouldn't go down and then we'd put her in the swing so we could eat and she'd just end up laughing in the swing. We haven't tried putting her to nap for two days and she's been fine now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"