January 2014 Moms

Starting and stopping solids?

I've recently given DS a few purees to try, and while he is capable of swallowing the foods he doesn't actually seem like he's interested in eating anything. If I sit him down and feed him he will eat, but he doesn't seem like he is enjoying it, and I wouldn't say that he "likes" any of the things I've had him taste. He seems pretty apathetic to the entire process.

Would you stop and try solids again after he turns 6 months old? My MIL seems to think starting and stopping will cause him to refuse to eat solids at all down the road, and it will be harder to wean him in the long run. However, I really don't want to force him to eat if he's simply not mentally ready yet for the change.

WWYD?

imageimageimage
Tino--Already 4 months old!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Starting and stopping solids?

• When we started solids we pretty much had the same thing.  Some days he would take interest but most of the time he could care less.  Some nights if we just don't have time I don't even bother offering them.  Babies are supposed to get all their necessary nutrition from BM or formula at this point so I don't worry.  I figure it will get more consistent when he wants it to get more consistent and as we establish a better pattern. 
  • I gave BZ broccoli a couple of weeks ago. He handled it fine, but he didn't seem really interested. After thinking about it some more, I decided to wait a few more weeks until he was 6 months. I think they are too young for it to really have a long term effect. If you start and stop repeatedly as he gets older.... then, yes, it probably would cause a problem. But taking a few more weeks until he's really ready isn't going to cause any harm. IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • We tried oatmeal a few weeks ago and DD wasn't interested at all. We stopped and started again this week and now she opens her mouth for the spoon and seems more into it. IMO, I really don't think stopping will have any effect later. As PP mentioned if you did it repeatedly it may have an effect but once I can't see it bothering him.
  • Thanks for the thoughts ladies. I tried one more day with purees and again he seemed like he could care less. He doesn't lean forward, but will open his mouth for the spoon after lots of prodding (he seems annoyed about it, to say the least).

I'm just going to hold off on solids for 3-4 weeks and try again. I read in another thread here about switching to BLW from puree, and I think maybe that would be a better option for Tino. He's super stubborn anyways and maybe he just doesn't like being forced to eat. Perhaps letting HIM choose when and how to eat is a better option. 
    imageimageimage
    Tino--Already 4 months old!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"