December 2014 Moms
Options

My daughter will have no name...

kwikwi8181kwikwi8181 member
edited July 2014 in December 2014 Moms
Had a really really bad day. Feeling very very down and just happened to look at a post on the baby name board where I posted a few potential names....BAD Idea! they not only hated ALL my names, but told me in no uncertain terms that I would basically be scarring my daughter for life if I used any of them. :(. Was so set on a boy...this is not helping at all.
I know I post at my own risk- but damn-some of the posters were just harsh. So...I have no idea where to go from here....just having a bad day.

Re: My daughter will have no name...

• Options
    Thanks ladies. It's just been a long emotional day. :( their harsh honesty wasn't something I was ready to take tonight. I'll keep trying to come up with something that won't make my daughter hate me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS didn't have a first name until a few days before he was born (and we had been discussing names for a solid 6 months).
    We aren't even discussing names this time until after the anatomy scan... So we may not settle on one until he or she is born...

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Eh. Those women mostly consider themselves students of the English language. It's not likely you or your daughter will run into people in your every day life who are so critical of names. For instance, they mention not liking Mac names because they are typically masculine. That's something you either care about or don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    KSwitz011 said:

FWIW I like every name on your list. Kylie is my favorite though.

Same!
    BFP #1 - 12.25.13 // MMC - 01.23.14
    BFP #2 - 03.27.14 // EDD - 12.07.14

• Options
    Please don't take some of the names they suggested to heart... Kelia? Calla? Carys? Some of those names sound made up in my opinion. I have a very close friend named Kylie who is going to med school. So it can be cute as a young child and also professional as she grows up. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm kind of taken aback by the reaction to your name choices. I've seen them rightfully attack some very dumb ones before but what is wrong with Kylie and Kaylee and the others? I think they are cute. NMS exactly but I have friends who have used these names. Hell, at least they are spelled correctly and are actually names :P

Don't worry too much about it. People will have opinions on everything but if you love it - go for it. I hope they at least helped you figure out which is your favorite (which were you maddest about them hating?) 

Hope tomorrow is better for you!
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

• Options
    sbevann26sbevann26 member
    edited July 2014
    I have read pages and pages of posts from the name board... All the names they suggest are the same. They are also extremely old names.. I hate all the suggestions they give.

I find the women absolutely rude as hell! There is a polite way to say you don't like a name, rather than calling it "a white trash name." (I personally also find that racist.)

That being said.. All that matters is that you and your man love the name you're choosing.

I love all your names, especially Kylie and Mackenzie.. But again.. The only opinion that counts is yours! Don't scratch your list based on what other people think! Especially because it's a good one :)
  • Options
    Oh my goodness! I just read your names and yes, People were way harsh! It's your baby girl and you name that sweet baby whatever you want! No one will say a word about it after she is born. That sucks that people can make you feel crappy about names. Ignore it.
  • Options
    I thought all of the names were cute. Not too into the MacKenzie spelling, but that's still a cute name! I have a friend named Kaylee (spelled differently) whom I love. People are weird. Do what you want and what makes you happy. Screw the internets. :)
    D14 June. Favorite TV Dad(s).image
    12/31/13: BF Proposes
    2/14: First month off OCP, cuz, hey, why not? He put a ring on it.
    3/31/14: POAS: BFP!
    6/21/14: It only looks like a shotgun wedding.
    12/09/14: EDD

Why just plan a wedding when you can plan a baby AND a wedding?
  • Options
    Name your daughter whatever you want- it's YOUR daughter. It took us until month 7-8 to come up with a name (Raziella) for our daughter and we received interesting and snarky comments from our fam- but in the end they love it and her. Who cares what people think.
    DSC_0214
  • Options
    Your names were cute. I personally wouldn't name my daughter any of them but mostly because I know someone with every one of your names! If you like a name, go for it!! Don't let people on the internet who you'll most likely never meet and/or talk to again affect what you name your daughter. And when they said some of them are juvenile--- that's hard for me to understand because the people I know are adults pushing 30. They've all had happy, productive lives with a "juvenile" name. I never would have thought that when I read those names. Just my opinion! :)  

• Options
    You have to take that board (or any board, really) with a grain of salt.  I think they often bring up a lot of good ideas and points I wouldn't have thought of, but yeah, sometimes they can be brutally honest.  I think your names are nice, but like PPs said who the eff cares what anyone else thinks?  Some people didn't like my son's name either, but that didn't change my mind.  And we decided on his name right after he was born.  You have plenty of time to make your decision.  And at the end the day, it's your baby and your decision.  
  • Options
    I'm afraid to look at the Name board because it seems like so many people get flamed for their choices.

I hope you've had a chance to cool off and know that you can name your sweet baby whatever you want.  If you are in love with the name, that's all that matters.  Kim K's daughter's name is North West for goodness sake.  All the old "rules" are out the window.
  • Options
    bjennybjenny member
    If YOU like them, use them! It's your child, not theirs. Everyone has something to say about any name you pick. As long as you love the name it shouldn't matter. :)
  • Options
    I didn't check out your whole list but I love Mackenzie and have since I was 13 or 14! It sounds weird with our last name, otherwise it would be on the short list for us :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mlee116 said:

You have to take that board (or any board, really) with a grain of salt.  I think they often bring up a lot of good ideas and points I wouldn't have thought of, but yeah, sometimes they can be brutally honest.  I think your names are nice, but like PPs said who the eff cares what anyone else thinks?  Some people didn't like my son's name either, but that didn't change my mind.  And we decided on his name right after he was born.  You have plenty of time to make your decision.  And at the end the day, it's your baby and your decision.  

There's a bit of pack mentality there too. It's not so bad when one person doesn't like a list but by the tenth anyone who did like it is less likely to come out and say it. Makes it all seem more extreme. The ways of the internet.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

• Options
    Well I tend to be the minority with names but I like Mackenzie from your list.  Your other names aren't awful either.  I have a cousin who named his daughter Kylie. 

• Options
    I feel like they all have the same brain over there.  Kicking down names and suggesting even worse ones as good ones.  I like your names!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I checked your name post and didn't think the responses were THAT harsh. This is your DD and you get to decide her name but I wouldn't totally discount others opinions. These are the same thoughts and opinions your DD will face with the name you choose.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    Everyone has an opinion and it's usually the ones that don't like something that make the most noise.  I would trust your instincts and go with the name that feels right for you and your family :-)  She is in fact your (and your SO's) precious little miracle and nobody else's!

• Options
    Aw, I like the name Kylie too!

As for the responses, I agree to not worry about it too much.

We chose DS's somewhat unconventional name (Frederick Homer) very early on. I shared it because I had a panic attack at 9 months pregnant that I was dooming him to dorkhood, and literally no one on my birth month board liked the name, especially the middle name, which reminds them of Homer Simpson. Ha! I was hurt at first but we had already long since decided on the name, so I forgot about it and moved on! And Freddie is too cute for anyone to take issue with his name now.

This time, we are seriously considered "Bear" as a middle name option--I won't even bother sharing on boards because I already know people will think that is the dumbest thing ever! :)
    TWO Babies in 2014!
    DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

• Options
    Thats ok im in the same boat of no one liking my name choice for my daughter. I suppose once its said and done people will just have to get over it. But of the three I have seen mentioned I think you have cute names
  • Options
    The ladies on the Baby Names board tend to be brutally honest, but they are always up front about their point of view and bluntly explain why they feel that way. As with everything, what they said are just that: opinions. The number one board tip over there states: "The ladies on this board are brutally honest. If you ask for opinions on this board, you will get them, good or bad. Don't post a name choice if you're simply looking for validation, because you may not get it. The opinions on this board are not meant to be taken personally."

If you love the names you posted, keep them! You will come up with a fantastic name for your daughter and no matter the name, you may be met with at least one person who does not like it. (Also, in the future, it is considered bad etiquette to complain on one board about another board.)

Ultimately, I like the name Kelsey, but that's because I like more classic names. Good luck choosing a name for your little one.
     image   image 
  • Options
    I haven't read your post over there, but the names mentioned here although NMS are not bad choices.

FWIW My boy name is one that is regularly eaten alive over there. I love it and if there is a penis in my belly we're using it.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I liked your names, I hated most of their suggestions.  My favorite is Kaylee which my husband and I are considering if we have a girl.  I'm also in the boat where I'm going to pick a couple names and wait till the baby is born to decide. I wouldn't worry about it.
    It's a GIRL!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm with everyone else. If you like a name use it. I love the name Cerstyn but everyone absolutely hates it. .. I'm still not set that I won't use it. 

You have a while to figure it out, and I sat and cried for 3 hours because I was out of olives. 
    Me-31
    DH-39
    DD1-11
    MMC @ 13 weeks- 12/8/08
    DD2- 3
    DD3- 1
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"