September 2014 Moms

You're Eating Sushi??

The cafeteria at work sells fully cooked (but cold, obviously) California rolls that I like to partake in occasionally. I always microwave them first to kill off the listeria because I'm paranoid like that; but every time I do, I try to kind of hide what I'm eating. Otherwise, I get to have a sarcastic conversation similar to the one I just had.

Male Coworker: You're eating sushi??
Me: Hey, I don't want any judgment! Besides, I microwaved it.
Male Coworker: You just couldn't resist. It's OK - your kid will just come out with antlers.
Me: That's fine.
Male Coworker: You can decorate them.
Me: Builds character.

Oh banter. I know sushi from a reputable place is usually fine, but a corporate cafeteria probably doesn't fall under that category. Well, guess I'll see if I have an antlered baby in 2 months!

Anyone else get any judgy comments lately?
IAmPregnant Ticker imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: You're Eating Sushi??

• I was pretty sure the barista at Starbucks gave me the side eye the other day but Hubbs said I was just being paranoid. 

I got some weird judgement from my husband's cousins who reallllllly wanted me to have a beer at the family reunion 2 weeks ago... um, no thanks! If I was going to indulge in an occasional alcoholic drink it certainly wouldn't be in front of his whole family!
  • Loading the player...
  • I got some weird judgement from my husband's cousins who reallllllly wanted me to have a beer at the family reunion 2 weeks ago... um, no thanks! If I was going to indulge in an occasional alcoholic drink it certainly wouldn't be in front of his whole family!
    Wow yeah, I'm sure chugging a beer in front of the whole family would've led to a lot of judgment going the other way. DH asked me if I wanted to try his beer the other day, but I shot him down, too. I've done the sips of wine, but beer seems...different in my mind for some strange reason. Even though it's lower in alcohol.
  • Screw them. California rolls have artificial crab in it anyways and veggies. Nbd. I've had sushi quite a few times already. Mind you I don't eat the raw stuff or fish eggs even when I'm not pregnant. I stick to the cooked shrimp and fake crab.

• kmbk27kmbk27 member
    "You were so small before! Now, You look like you're having twins."
    "You're due mid September? You won't make it through August."

And I definitely got a side eye while buying NON ALCOHOLIC beer. I was like - really guy, really?

^^^ September Signature: TV series I plan on binge watching with my newborn I do what I want. ^^^

image    image

<3 Gage Douglas 09.04.2014...my sunshine after the rain.

• Also, am I the only one who thinks a microwaved California Roll sounds super gross? I mean there's mayo in those things! Girl, get yourself some real sushi and don't go eating microwaved mayo. 
    Haha, it's actually good! Hot rice, good. Hot imitation crab, good. Hot avocado, why not. Although to be honest, I didn't know there was mayo in it. That does sound gross.
  • Haha I made a face at the microwaved sushi, too. But I've been eating it my entire pregnancy. (Nothing raw, but I know it's not the only concern. And fwiw, I avoided everything while pg with my first.) I got a comment about coffee yesterday. I asked a coworker if there was any coffee and she replied, "decaf???" I was like "no? Regular." Then she acted like I'm a crazy person.
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I got a side eye from a lot of ppl when I went to a restaurant/bar with DH, SIL and her husband. I was 8 mo pregnant and walked to the bar, I felt so uncomfortable, I wouldn't now but I did then. It's not like it was 2 in the morning at a club, it was a restaurant that closed at 11! It's ridiculous how ppl judge what pregnant women do.
  • This is making me think I need to get up and make a coffee run! I really wanted a slurpee yesterday but with this stupid GD I have to go sugar free and the only SF was watermelon. Gag.
  • slowmoslowmo member
    I think what I find most annoying about unsolicited advice from people is the assumption on their part that I haven't bothered to pick up a book or talk to my doctor about what I should/shouldn't be doing during this pregnancy. I'm not a moron, so BACK OFF. I try to be gracious about it, like "Oh, thanks, I'll keep that in mind," but it's not easy.

Case in point: I had a patient this weekend who told me I should be rubbing aloe on my stomach to prevent stretch marks because "men find stretch marks really unattractive." WTF.

• Haha! I had sushi today and noticed a couple giving me the side eye! All I had was a spicy California roll and a shrimp tempura roll. I made sure to look at them everytime I took a bite.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• Haha me too! Headed out to get some sushi now. dr says it's totally fine to eat as long as from reputable place..and I say let them stare!
  • My OB said a good rule of thumb for anything raw, including salads and sushi, is to go in the bathroom first.  If you wouldn't drink a glass of water from the bathroom sink, then don't eat raw foods there...
    BFP 11/24/2012  MMC 1/21/2013 - BFP 3/29/2013  MC 4/8/2013 - BFP 4/25/2013 MC 5/6/2013 - 5/17/2013 Diagnosed with LPD - BFP 8/24/13  MC 9/6/2013
    BFP: 12/19/13  - Beta 1@11dpo: 26.8 - Beta 6@23dpo: 3,672
    Our Rainbow Son Born August 26, 2014
    Lilypie - (nueR)
    All ALers welcome!
  • My mom and friends gave me a hard time about helping DH paint our sons nursery. It really annoyed me because I'm PGaL and paranoid about everything... I obviously did my research first!
  • Arg I totally got side-eye while picking up something for DH at the liquor store last month. Where we live, the grocery stores don't carry any alcohol and only the county stores sell liquor, but they put them right next to the grocery store so I went while I was running errands. So mad.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• JD83JD83 member
    I have never gotten any these reactions, but I think part of that is because so many people don't realize that I'm pregnant, they just think I'm really fat.
  • ritzgrrl said:

Also, am I the only one who thinks a microwaved California Roll sounds super gross? I mean there's mayo in those things! Girl, get yourself some real sushi and don't go eating microwaved mayo. 

Haha, it's actually good! Hot rice, good. Hot imitation crab, good. Hot avocado, why not. Although to be honest, I didn't know there was mayo in it. That does sound gross.

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

• I must give off the "don't even comment to me" look. Although I've had plently on people make wacky comments about other pregnancy topics -- besides my Mom -- no one has said anything to me about what I eat or drink. I would probably be pretty sassy to anyone if they did. It's really no one else's business.

I agree though -- it is amazing how people think it is okay to be rude to pregnant women.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• I'm just over here eating my ego waffles and jimmy dean sausage biscuits and laughing.... And pretending its sushi.
  • kateitho said:
    My OB said a good rule of thumb for anything raw, including salads and sushi, is to go in the bathroom first.  If you wouldn't drink a glass of water from the bathroom sink, then don't eat raw foods there...
    That sounds like a good rule of thumb. I guess I can stop being so paranoid now. And stop grossing you all out, haha.
  • kmbk27 said:
    "You were so small before! Now, You look like you're having twins." "You're due mid September? You won't make it through August." And I definitely got a side eye while buying NON ALCOHOLIC beer. I was like - really guy, really?
    Yeah - this. I get all of this. (Except the "You were so small before". That was not the case, lol. But I still get the twins thing. Or rather - "How many are in there?")

• knovitski I did the beer run for the family for a birthday party Monday.. because I was sober. 3 six packs and a bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne. The girl at the check out counter looked at me like I was a monster. I got a little nervous she was going to try some BS refuse to sell thing. 
  • Also, am I the only one who thinks a microwaved California Roll sounds super gross? I mean there's mayo in those things! Girl, get yourself some real sushi and don't go eating microwaved mayo. 
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.
    I'm sorry, but am I the only person who didn't know there was MAYO in a regular California roll?  I'm not sure where y'all are getting your sushi from...but I would never go for a sushi roll with actual mayonnaise in it...I'm not even a fan of the spicy mayo. Bleh

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I actually go out of my way to order coffee, sushi and alcohol as much as possible when I go out. When people say something to me about it, it gives me a chance to change their opinion about what pregnant women should and shouldn't be doing. That didn't stop my in-laws from looking shocked when I ordered a bourbon at dinner one night, but that could be because they're not bourbon fans. Anyway, I like getting the chance to educate people and the perfect opportunity is when they say something to me about something I'm eating or drinking. Besides, sushi was the only thing that would stay down in the first trimester. Weird.

Anyway, be loud and proud ladies! There's no other way to change people's opinions!

• The thought of a pregnant woman drinking bourbon disturbs me.
  • wrightpalomowrightpalomo member
    edited July 2014
    I love whiskey and I have missed it dearly since January. My OB said a weekly glass of wine is fine and even the most lax recommendations I've read say one glass of wine or one lower-alcohol beer a day but absolutely no hard liquor. @larisasky I'd be interested to know why you are ok with drinking bourbon. Do you have links to a study or an article on this? Did your OB give you the OK on an occasional hard liquor drink?

ETA: spelling
  • JD83JD83 member
    I've read similar things about hard liquor as opposed to beer and wine, but would love to see more information if it's available. I'm not sure why it would make a difference, as long as you're not knocking back shot after shot. I'll still take a sip of something DH is drinking if it looks tasty, but thus far have been able to resist the hard stuff. Although, sipping on an ice cold double Patron sounds like heaven right now.

(Sorry if this reads a little discombobulated. I'm sick and keep getting distracted and then coming back to it.)

• I went out for lunch with a friend recently, she ordered a beer and I ordered a non alcoholic O'Douls, which is actually rather tasty. I was unprepared for soooo many sideways glanses! A lady a few tables down very loudly said to her husband, can you believe she's drinking a beer?! Sucks feeling like a criminal when you know you're doing nothing wrong
  • First of all all men should be quiet, they never have to be pregnant. Second of all California roll is cooked and there is no reason not to have t!
  • I normally love sushi, but I had some when I was 17 weeks along and I got food poising, it was from reheated bacillus infested rice.
    BabyName Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"