November 2014 Moms
Options

UPDATE in OP: Scheduled for a Cerclage :( - any personal experiences with this?

MrsG1019MrsG1019 member
edited July 2014 in November 2014 Moms
Hey ladies ... So went in today again for my weekly cervix check and Dr. decided I need a cerclage done Wednesday -- I'll be 23w4d at that time- and since the cut off for it even being an option is 24 weeks it's a now or never thing. Cervix measured between 2.3 and 2.8... And it had some funneling :/ so this is really necessary. I'm terrified of the what ifs (especially after being briefed on what could go wrong) but I know this is my only hope at avoiding a preterm delivery so of course I'm glad to have it done. Anyone willing to share personal experiences if you've has this done? Outcome? Thank You!

UPDATE:

Hey ladies -- got out of surgery and in recovery now waiting for the epidural to wear off ... Wow.. The cerclage was nothing I want to ever experience again. It wasn't painful but the position you're in is ...let's just say there's zero modesty lol. Candy Cane stirrups as they call them are awful. Doctor said my cervix was completely gone in the back half and down to a 2 in the front :/ she had to do 2 double stitches to hold it together, but hopeful it all works out now. Doctor was very glad we went thru with the stitch cuz had we not, I wouldn't of lasted much longer own my won/ Thank You for all the good wishes.

BabyName Ticker
image imageimageimage

Re: UPDATE in OP: Scheduled for a Cerclage :( - any personal experiences with this?

• Options
    No personal experience but I've read many women who have had them and successfully prevented preterm labor, so that's a good thing :-)

Good luck!

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    No personal experience, but wanted to offer thoughts and prayers. Sorry you're going through this.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank You ladies!! The doctor is amazing and I know I'm in great hands! I got taken out of work completely as of today so that's a little weird to think about.. I've already been out for the last 3 weeks since my L & D visit but to know I'm not goin back to work at all(planned on being a SAHM).. Surreal. I wasn't mentally ready for this all just yet.

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    It isnt just helping to avoid preterm labor. If the baby is born before viability the hospital won't make attempts to keep the baby alive bc it is too young to be compatible with life. So please understand that this isn't just to avoid a really early baby. Good luck!
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have no personal experience, but I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best!
    We're welcoming a girl to our family--Audrey Kay!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 8.28.10 | Me: 26 DH: 26 | Due with our First | EDD 11.01.14
  • Options

It isnt just helping to avoid preterm labor. If the baby is born before viability the hospital won't make attempts to keep the baby alive bc it is too young to be compatible with life. So please understand that this isn't just to avoid a really early baby. Good luck!

Oh absolutely agree and fully understand! Me going into labor now would like mean delivery... and a very very small chance at life for him, so that's more so what I meant by avoiding preterm labor.

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options

Hi! I just had a cerclage done on Friday. It was relatively painless for me. And to help put it in perspective, my cervix had shortened to .35 centimeters. I was within days, if not hours, of going into labor. Basically they do a spinal. The worst is the shot for numbing, but it felt no worse than an iv. There is pressure when they do the spinal, but there wasn't pain. And the whole procedure is quick. I went home the next day. Because my cervix was so short, I was on strict bed rest for the week. I went for my first cervix check on Thursday and it had already trippled in length, to 1.54 centimeters.
    It is a scary thought, but doing it affords me the security of knowing everything is working better to keep my little girl in there so she can keep growing. I would do it again, no questions asked. It always seems scary, but I promise you the worst part was the iv. And i dont know what your restrictions will be. My cervix was dangerously short, so even though I am off bed rest, there is still no sex no exercise, no lifting, etc. But it is for such a short time. And so worth it. Good luck, and please feel free to ask me anything. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm so glad to hear your cervix has lengthened back up! That's reassuring!!! Grow baby grow!! :)

Due to a reoccurring loss history I've already been on 100% pelvic and physical restriction since our BFP at 9dpo. The doctor made that very clear. And then have been on modified bed rest since 21weeks after ending up in L & D with a 1.2cm cervix. Although being put back on progesterone has helped lengthen the cervix back to 3.4 last week --- it seems to have a mind of it's own and shortened again today. I've been taken out of work on full bed rest at least for 2 weeks and then modified bed rear after that assuming things look good. The doctor is confident in the Cerclage being my saving grace at this point and as long as it keeps this little guy in there till way later in pregnancy/full term I'll happily deal with the procedure and any necessary restrictions.

Again, thanks for sharing your story!! Here's to 16+ weeks of these little ones staying put!

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    I'm sorry you have to go through that, my mother had it done with all her her pregnancies. I was just curious though, do you normally get an internal exam done? I haven't had one. Just the 20 week ultrasound, and my cervix measured 3.1. But I was curious about it because how do you know if it's shortened if they don't check it?
  • Options
    MrsG1019MrsG1019 member
    edited July 2014
    tguichon said:

I'm sorry you have to go through that, my mother had it done with all her her pregnancies. I was just curious though, do you normally get an internal exam done? I haven't had one. Just the 20 week ultrasound, and my cervix measured 3.1. But I was curious about it because how do you know if it's shortened if they don't check it?

For me .. Because I had a LEEP done 3 years ago they mentioned I would be checked 3-4 times through my pregnancy just to make sure it stays stable/long. They checked it once at 13w... And it was above a 3 like yours.. then I had some spotting a 16 weeks and it was 2.7(almost too short for comfort) ... So since then -- they've made me go in weekly to get it checked, always by a vaginal u/s. It would fluctuate between 2.7 and 3.4 with each apt (which if it stayed above a 2.5 they were going to be happy with that) but at 21 weeks it was at 1.2cm -- so that's when I got put in progesterone and bed rest, which have both helped -- until today's visit where it was borderline short again.

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    I had a preventative cerclage at 11w5d. We had a 27 weeker in September 2013 due to IC. It was found at 24 weeks so I wasn't a candidate for a cerclage-hospital bedrest, magnesium (devil drug), steroids were the game plan.
    I opted for a TVCIC instead of the traditional vaginal cerclage options but the procedure and recovery is the same…only the placement of the stitch is different.

It was not as painful as I anticipated except I ended up suffering from a spinal headache. I was stuck 5 times got a spinal that NEVER took, so, I ended up getting general anesthesia anyway. The cerclage recovery was only UNCOMFORTABLE not painful.
  • Options
    I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Even if you are on bed rest for the next 16 weeks, at least you have us to keep you company. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Even if you are on bed rest for the next 16 weeks, at least you have us to keep you company. :)

Thank You!! & so true! You ladies make for great company -- I'll be mobile bumping all day. That and now that I've learned to crochet.... He will
    Have all sorts of baby blankets by the time he gets here! :)

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with this :(  . I had the preventative cerclage over a month ago now, and I also had one with my 8 year old. My first pregnancy resulted in loss at 20 weeks due to IC; had no idea I had it until I went to the hospital in labor and it was too late to stop it. The cerclage or recovery isn't bad at all. The spinal worked for me, I've had it several times now and its always worked with no issues other than causing me to shake all over until it wore off. The worst part about recovery for me, was that feeling came back to my bladder before anything else. So I had to pee so stinking bad before I actually could. That was painful and caused cramping, but the next day I was back to normal in that dept. DR took me out of work for a week, and I put myself on modified bedrest that entire week. My cervix measured 1.7 at the time of the cerclage. It has measured beautifully since then; just yeaterday it was 4.7. They work! Yes, there is a greater risk because you're farther along, but you have no other choice you HAVE to keep that baby in as long as possible. Will be praying for you! Keep us posted!

10/16/04 ~ lost our first baby boy at 20 weeks due to IC

3/05 ~ another loss at 12 weeks

2/14/06 ~ Our sweet valentine miracle was born after a nightmarish 8 months!

Surprise Baby Boy, born sleeping at 31 weeks on 9/21/14

• Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with you!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"