December 2014 Moms
Options

Diapers

I am a FTM and had considered cloth diapering at first but recently found that option to be overwhelming. How do you decide what the best type of diaper is for your baby before he/she is here. Also, do you register for diapers? I am trying to remember if I have seen them on previous registries. Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Diapers

• Options
    I think I put them on my registry, but I don't remember for certain.
    We just bought more of what they sent us home with at the hospital, which I think was Pampers sensitive. Later we tried some other brands, but switched back to Pampers because they worked best for us (by which I mean very few, if any, blowouts). I read Amazon reviews and solicited opinions from a local mothering group to decide.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Trial and error. We tried several types of biodegradable diapers as well as name brands and for some reason Pampers Swaddlers were the best fit for our daughter and what we've been using for over a year. Each baby is different, so you might need to try a few types. Registering for diapers is perfectly appropriate in my opinion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eora3Eora3 member
    I have found that the Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive work the best for my newborns. I have had a whole lot of other mom friends say the same.

I wouldn't recommend buying a ton of diapers before your LO arrives. Newborn size diapers barely fit my second baby at all. We were in size ones for a while with my older son but not my second. If you find good deals, a single box of newborn size and a couple of size ones and twos wouldn't be a bad idea. But remember, the different brands fit differently. It can be a trial and error process.
  • Options
    We also liked Pampers Swaddlers.  I wouldn't go out and buy a lot ahead of time but I think it is fine to register for diapers.  It tends to be trial and error as most things with babies.  Swaddlers fit the best and they also have a sensitive version that is hypoallergenic.  When my kids got older we switched to Luvs which are made by the same people who make Pampers and are cheaper.  You can always buy one or two different brands of cloth diapers and decide later if its something you can use.  There are lots of helpful websites to get info.  
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Options
    My first was born when the pampers drymax first came out and was causing chemical burns. That was 4yrs ago and I still cannot bring myself to buy pampers. Definitely try a few out and see what works for you. Huggies were amazing with both my boys and we plan on using them again. My favorites are the Huggies pure and natural.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    The target brand has been the best for us. We went through a few before landing on these. Pampers swaddlers from the hospital (worked ok, had frequent blowouts though), honest company (loved them but ended up being to pricey), seventh generation (didn't fit my son very well..he's tall and thin).
  • Options
    It's definitely a trial and error kind of thing. So I recommend buying small packs at first. We started with Swaddlers and that worked for a couple of months, the switched to Huggies because those leaked less, then Costco's Kirkland brand because the are cheaper and just like Huggies but a little roomier.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    I really wanted to do cloth, but it wasn't practical for us since we had to use a laundry mat when we first had our son. We ended up really liking The Honest Company for diapers, and the month supply they send usually lasts us more than a month. Plus they have cute designs like cloth. We haven't had an oh my God we have one diaper left moment since we started using them.

As far as registering, definitely register for cloth diapers if that's the way you want to go. I really liked the idea of the Bum Genius all in ones because the size adjusts and they come with everything, but the cloth diapering board will be able to tell you the pros and cons of every type. I would also register for different sizes of disposables if you choose to go that route, if only for your gift givers so they don't feel obligated to get you something wicked expensive.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    Jessie333Jessie333 member
    edited July 2014
    We use the Kirkland brand of diapers for DD. They have always worked really well for her. I also really like huggies diapers. When they go on sale, I do tend to like to buy them.

I think we used the newborn pampers swaddlers for DD. After that we couldn't use them. We found they tend to have a baby powder scent to them and dh seems to be allergic to them. I have also heard of other people having that problem with pampers.

I would absolutely put diapers on my registry if I was a ftm.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    BdblZBdblZ member
    Definitely ok to register for diapers. I plan on registering for most of my cloth diaper stash (likely Bum Genius).

And I would also encourage you not to abandon the cloth diaper idea too quickly. I found it pretty overwhelming at first too, but the more time I spent researching and talking to other moms who cloth diaper, the less overwhelming it seemed.

Check out you-tube & Pinterest. I found some great resources, mostly blogs of moms just retelling their own experiences. It is some extra effort on the front end, but I think th cost savings and reduced environmental impact are totally worth it.
  • Options
    You could suggest doing a diaper raffle to the person throwing your shower. That way you can get a lot of diapers. Some people just get you diapers as a gift anyway. It's about liking the kind they get you! ;)

I also considered cloth diapering, but I just don't know if I will have it in me once bébé comes... I love doing laundry now... but all those poopy soiled diapers might make me hate it. I have decided I will probably do the disposables -- Pampers. I just love those diapers. 

Also, you could try doing both. Invest in just a few cloth diapers... and see how you feel about them. If you learn to love it and it's not much hassle for you, then go for it! I am also toying with this idea... but meh... time will tell! :D

Please please please don't have a diaper raffle...It reeks of gift grabbiness and is really uncomfortable. Your guests are kind enough to bring you gifts, please don't dictate that they bring you additional gifts
    Me: 28 Husband:: 29
    TTC  since April, 2012; Diagnosed with Hashimotos, Annovulatory.
    October, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui - BFN
    November, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui + Prometrium 2x a day- Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    It's wher
    KSwitz011 said:
    What's a diaper raffle? I've never heard of one?
    It's where a note is sent along asking for people to bring diapers in addition to the gift on an off chance they'll win a prize
    Me: 28 Husband:: 29
    TTC  since April, 2012; Diagnosed with Hashimotos, Annovulatory.
    October, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui - BFN
    November, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui + Prometrium 2x a day- Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    It is trial and error with disposables and cloth. One Size cloth diapers do not fit at the beginning for most babies. The most economical way to go at the beginning is 3 dozen prefolds and some covers but there is a learning curve with fastening prefolds. There are many options out there and the best thing to do is just google "cloth diaper 101" and start reading. We did cloth starting at 6 weeks with DS and will be starting at birth for this one. When we did disposables we either used Huggies Pure & Natural or 7th Generation.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As others said, you never really know bc your baby could have sensitive skin, or leak from a certain brand. I registered for pampers and it worked for us but guests at my shower bought whatever diapers they liked. It was fine though we went through diapers so fast in the beginning and I basically tried them all. I love pampers. DS still wears swaddlers (size 3). I will probably keep him in swaddlers until DD gets here then he will move up to cruisers (which he wears sometimes) and she will wear swaddlers. We use pampers sensitive and natural wipes too.
  • Options
    IMHO, there is no diaper that can rival pampers swaddlers for a newborn. Also, they have regular and sensitive. I start with sensitive and then move to regular if it isn't needed. With pampers, DD almost never leaked and they are very soft.

My second choice is huggies little snugglers, but only the little snugglers. I hated snug and dry. Huggies also has a sensitive option but I can't remember what they're called.

Luvs were horrible and the other brands I tried weren't much better. So, we are a pampers household. Even my penny pinching DH is glad to spend extra on pampers.

Oh and one more side note. If you have a BRU where you live, then they have good deals on pampers occasionally. Every now and then, they will run a buy two boxes and get a $20 dollar gift card. I've seen target do it once or twice as well. If you pair this with manufacturers coupons, you come out quite well.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Once you do figure out what diapers work for you, sign up for Amazon Mom and Subscribe & Save. It's wonderful to think, "crap, we're low on diapers!" And then have a box waiting for you at the door.

Anniversary

• Options
    I think different brands work for different kids my little one always leaked out of pampers and Huggies I actually switched Luvs and love them. They were the only one she didn't wiggle out of or leak out of. I registered for diapers but register for the bigger sizes because everyone always but newborn and you don't need that many of those.
  • Options
    FTM, but plan on doing diapers for the first month then switching to cloth diapers. My friend did it this way and they said it brought down the stess of first time cd-ing. I was very overwhelmed at first with CD but online research and talking to friends that use cloth helped. I will see what works in the hospital first since I won't be using them long.
  • Options

I can't speak for cloth diapering, as that has never been something I've wanted to do.

As for disposables, it really just depends on the baby. I got a TON at my shower (diaper raffle-NOT on my registry), as did DH at a Baby-Q his friends threw for him. We got every brand and size you can think of. We tried every single one - Huggies, Pampers, Target's Up & Up, Luvs, Walmart, Kirkland (Costco). Most of them irritated DD's skin or she'd have too many blowouts. For us, the only ones that worked were Pampers and we continue to use them now. I think we'll probably just start with Pampers for this peanut and try others as we go to see if there's another (cheaper) brand that peanut's skin can handle and doesn't cause blowouts.

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

different diapers work for different babies.

ds#1 could wear luvs with no prob, but ds#2 leaked horribly with them.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

• Options

I’ve been thinking the same (want to cloth diaper, but just not sure what type and whether it will work), and here are some ideas. Please note, I am a FTM and don’t actually have a clue what I’m talking about.

-There are a lot of places that will rent cloth diapers for a couple of months.  It seems like the cost is usually $100-$200 for a couple of months and come with a variety of diapers to try.  Some will give you the majority of your money back once you return them if you want cash back, and almost all will give you most (or all) of your money back for store credit so that you can buy cloth diapers from their store.  Would it be possible to put “Cloth Diaper Rental” on your registry?  Then after you’ve seen what works you can buy the kinds you like from the store with the deposit.  If you google “cloth diaper rental” a ton of sites will come up.  Here is a listing of stores that do it:

https://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=886295

-I’ve also seen several listings on Craigslist for a “lot” of used cloth diapers.  If you’re willing to buy used, you can get a big bunch of 20-30 from someone who is done with them.  They still cost quite a bit, but much less than used, and it also gives me hope that if I end up not liking cloth diapering I can just turn around and re-sell them.

-I’m open to using disposables (or a mix) at the beginning and then transitioning when I’m ready.  But I really, really want to cloth diaper eventually.  And it can saves so much money in the end, even if the upfront cost is greater.  Then, again, like I said, FTM here, and I am open to things not working out as I hoped/planned.

• Options
    I'm really glad I read most of these comments, I had been considering loading up on diapers for the rest of my pregnancy but now I'm worried about being wasteful if I end up with something that doesn't work..
  • Options
    I'm a FTM who wants to cloth diaper, as well. I've been advised to get disposables for the newborn "just in case", so I did register for Pampers Swaddlers, as I've heard they're the best for newborns. I registered on babiesrus.com for the Charlie Banana 12 pack as well as a couple of Bum Genius. I liked the disposable vs reusable inserts for the Charlie Banana ones. I also saw a Woot deal for Bumpkin brand cloth diapers. We may get those as well, to have options and experiment until we find which we like best, since opinions seem to vary so much.
    D14 June. Favorite TV Dad(s).image
    12/31/13: BF Proposes
    2/14: First month off OCP, cuz, hey, why not? He put a ring on it.
    3/31/14: POAS: BFP!
    6/21/14: It only looks like a shotgun wedding.
    12/09/14: EDD

Why just plan a wedding when you can plan a baby AND a wedding?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"