December 2014 Moms
Options

Weight gain

Just had my 17week appointment and I have gained 6 pounds already. doctor said it was a little fast but not to worry. Still feeling a bit like it is a lot of weight fast. I desperately don't want to be that girl who takes advantage of being pregnant and gains way to much!
Anyone else feel like they are gaining weight fast?

Re: Weight gain

• Options
    Yes! I'm terrified of using my pregnancy as an excuse to gain a ton of weight. I'm 18weeks with twins and I've gained 7 lbs so far. But I know, depending on your weight before you got pregnant, 5-10 lbs is the average weight to gain for being where we are in pregnancy.
  • Options
    I'm 18 weeks and I've gained 5 lbs. Feels like more though haha!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In the last few weeks, yes. I gained 1/2 a pound between my 8-12wk appt. and now another 5 in the last month. :-/ But this is exactly how it went with both my girls too. The weight comes in bursts, lol. The most shocking was 8 pounds in 4 weeks between ~22 and 26 weeks with both girls! At least I know it's probably coming this time, lol...
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Oh my gosh ladies! Im 16 weeks and have gained 13 lbs already :( when I started my pregnancy I weighed 117 lbs and an 5'5" so was pretty small amd my doc said because I started off so small, my weight gain was fine but im definitely worried!
  • Options
    RayRay007RayRay007 member
    edited July 2014
    6lbs at 17 weeks isn't necessarily a lot. It depends what you start out at and what is a healthy amount to gain for you. Here is a calculator I looked at when I was pg with my first. I'm not sure if it's based on the most current research, etc., but it might give you an idea if you are on the right track. 

ETA: I just put in my info for expecting twins and it says I should be gaining almost 2 lbs a week at the end, ie. 30-40 weeks, at minimum. Um, seeing as how these babies will come by 38 weeks, and I highly doubt I'll be putting on much weight in the couple weeks leading up to that, I'm not sure how accurate this calculator is. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I weighed 125 to start and am 5'6"
    I am feeling a lot better hearing from you ladies! I think it is just a case of sticker shock. I am a FTM and will have to get use to the scale jumping between visits.
  • Options
    angeladowns1angeladowns1 member
    edited July 2014
    I wish I had this problem! I'm almost 17 weeks and I'm still -7 pounds from pre pregnancy. I'm considered overweight but doctor is getting slightly worried. I lost it all within the first 12 weeks but I've definitely been eating more since then and haven't gained an ounce yet. :/
  • Options

I've gained about 4-6 pounds depending on the day, my weight fluctuates more than I thought it would honestly.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Ummm I'm up 15 pounds at just over 16 weeks and my Dr was totally fine with it. I'm guessing it all where you start out. I was told a pound a week is fine!

***DD 5/15/2004***TTC #2 Since March 2012***Severe MFI*** LameBlog ***

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I started at 113, 5'2''. I am 15weeks and I weighed 120.5 this morning. =7.5 lbs so far. I gained 48 lbs with my first pregnancy and then lost 55 afterward. I am a fat, gross pregnant person. Sigh.
  • Options
    kelnyckelnyc member
    I have gained 10 at 17w. Everyone's different. I gained a lot early on with DD1, too and ended up at only 28lbs total. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    I weighed myself this morning and have officially gained 13 at 17 weeks.  My doc said they like to recommend 10lbs by week 20 for those starting off at a normal weight.  So I am a little over that, but you are right on track.

I am having a hard time with it too, but then I realize - even if I gain a pound a week from here on out, that would put my total weight gain at 36lbs...which is just barely above the recommended 25-35lbs.  So I guess it's not that big of a cause for concern.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    I am 17 weeks and i have gained 10 pounds. My dr said that that is perfect. She said its not too little, not too much, and exactly where she wants me to be :-/ . So i think we should all relax :D.
  • Options
    JCM285JCM285 member
    I think I need to buy a new scale and get on top of this. I have no idea how much I've gained but last time I weighed in I had gained about 7 lbs and that was almost four weeks ago.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    I'm 18w5d and I've gained about 3 lbs. I was actually starting to get worried I'm not quite gaining enough. Started at 123 (5'8") and now I'm at 126. Hoping baby girl is growing fine!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    amr196amr196 member
    Psh I weighed myself like a week and a half ago and only because I was curious. The way I see it is no matter what your gonna gain weight during pregnancy. There's just no way around it. So you might as well just eat healthy and let your body do what it's gonna do

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have the opposite problem, which is also a worrisome as a FTM. I lost 3 lbs in the first few weeks, which I put back on by the end of first tri. Now I'm in my 16th week but as of Monday I'm exactly the same weight as pre-preg. OB said it was nothing to worry about yet but I wonder where the heck all the food I'm eating is going! Maybe baby and I just use our nutrients really really efficiently? Lol.. That pregnancy weight calculator says I should be up 10lbs by now. As long as OB isn't worried I'll try not to be.
    image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.
  • Options
    I'm finally gaining some weight and am psyched. Because that means my baby is growing and I can finally eat somewhat normally again.

FTR, I started my first pregnancy at 145 lbs and ended at 198. I started this one at 178. I won't be concerned with my weight gain until after the baby is born. While pregnancy is not a free pass to eat all the things, it's also not the time to be concerned with not being a size 2 anymore. Focus on growing a human. Weight gain is actually healthy while growing babies.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    You are pregnant... You are going to gain weight! Chill !
  • Options
    Mrw218Mrw218 member
    I think if you are that damn worried about gaining weight then you shouldn't get pregnant. You have a life growing in you that needs to put on weight through you. I understand we all have our "fat" days where we feel bloated and cruddy but is it really necessary to make an omg I'm getting so fat post. Just eat healthy and you gain what you gain.
  • Options
    Ugh. My last pregnancy I didn't gain a pound until I was 20 weeks. This time I have already gained 7lbs and I'm just under 16 weeks. Start weight was the same...

Hoping that isn't an indication of anything to come :P I'm not really big on worrying about what I gain as long as it is within the healthy range, but I feel like at this rate I could blow past that pretty quickly.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am up 14lbs at 16wks. Last time I gained 65lbs so hopefully I'm gaining a little slower this time. My OB wasn't concerned last time and my midwife isn't concerned now. I eat healthy and exercise and they both think my body will gain what it needs to gain.

For reference my baby was only 7.5 lbs last time and I lost all the weight by his first birthday. I never planned to gain that much and hope I don't this time but it is what it is.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been worried about my lack of gain. 5'9", 139 pounds. No loss, nogain. I gained 30 with DD1. She ended up being 10 lbs 1 oz. But at least then I'd gained little by now. I'm currently 18 weeks
  • Options
    Don't worry about the weight gain! I gained an easy 10lbs in my first tri with my DD, and I'm 17wks and haven't gained anything this time around. Your body does what it needs to do for the baby. My doc wasn't concerned about the weight gain with my DD, and he wasn't even a little concerned that I haven't gained anything yet. Just don't go crazy on eating unhealthy, drink plenty of water and your body will do what it's supposed to.
  • Options
    I gained 40lbs with DS and lost all but 5lbs by 6 months when I got pregnant with this LO. So far my weight gain has been a little slower this time. But my MW wasn't concerned last time and I'm not concerned this time. I gained 35lbs by like 32 weeks and then slowly added the last five. Every one is different. So unless your care provider shows concern, try not to stress. Just make sure you are eating healthy and drinking plenty of water.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are just a little jealous. I think the OP was explaining that despite being a thin person she tends to gain more than the recommended weight amount during her pregnancies. Then, she loses is back.  I think anyone should be able to post exactly what they feel about their weight on this sight and no one else should judge :)
  • Options
    I gained 8 pounds between week 3 and 5 of my pregnancy!! Fortunately I stayed at that weight until week 15 and am now up one more pound. I think everyone puts it on differently and I think my body must have needed those extra pounds early on. As long as the baby is healthy, I'm going to try not to panic about the weight, so hard not to at times though!
  • Options

I just think all of us need to be a bit more sensitive about the weight thing.  Calling yourself fat when you weren't fat AND giving your minuscule weight could make other women feel really bad about themselves.  I understand a lot of us have issues with these types of things, but just try and keep other peoples feelings in mind.  

I think this is very important. I get that everyone is self conscious and everyone's bodies are changing. That being said, any number of comments about weight and size can make others feel bad about themselves or may even be triggers for those who have struggled with this in the past. I understand the need to vent and commiserate, but I don't think that every other day we need a post where each person tells us all what size they wear or how much they weigh.

Kateghee-I disagree with you. I think the people posting here are trying trying to discuss their weight gain with other in their birth month. No body is trying to make anyone feel bad and the people that do feel bad about these innocuous comments are just taking their complexes out on everyone else. I certainly am not going to hold back on a valid question I have because I am worried that it may offend someone with a complex about this, that's not fair to the majority of us that have a healthy body image and are just comparing facts about reasonable questions during pregnancy.

• Options
    acac104 said:
    Sounds like you are just a little jealous. I think the OP was explaining that despite being a thin person she tends to gain more than the recommended weight amount during her pregnancies. Then, she loses is back.  I think anyone should be able to post exactly what they feel about their weight on this sight and no one else should judge :)
    Who's jealous? 
    Nauticallife
  • Options
    acac104 said:
    acac104 said:
    Who's jealous? 
    Nauticallife
    That is not jealous to me. That's legit. Let me guess, are you one of those super skinny women who constantly calls themselves fat? Do you understand how maddening that is to someone who is struggling to fit into their pants and having a size 4 something strut up, look at herself in the mirror and go 'omg, I need to go on a diet. Look, I have a 1 inch piece of fat hanging a little bit past my 6 pack'. While you are sitting there wearing a size 12 pissed off because in order to be bikini ready you need to eat kale and apple slices. 

that is the equivalent to someone posting '5'6 120lbs pre pregnancy, I already gained 7lbs I am terrified that I am gaining too much too fast'

You are pregnant, you are growing a human. You will gain weight. It will be fat. Your stomach will look like a deflated whale carcass for a time after delivery. It is life. 
    I disagree, why is it so maddening? Unless the size 12 is jealous of the size 4 for being thin. otherwise why should she care what the size 4 says or thinks. Are you implying that it is better to be a size 4 than a size 12? Note, I am not posting about my own personal weight pre-preg or my weight gain. I'm cool with what I have. I just don't want any woman out there with what feels like a valid concern to her to feel censored by someone else's fat issues. 
  • Options
    acac104 said:
    acac104 said:
    acac104 said:
    Who's jealous? 
    Nauticallife
    That is not jealous to me. That's legit. Let me guess, are you one of those super skinny women who constantly calls themselves fat? Do you understand how maddening that is to someone who is struggling to fit into their pants and having a size 4 something strut up, look at herself in the mirror and go 'omg, I need to go on a diet. Look, I have a 1 inch piece of fat hanging a little bit past my 6 pack'. While you are sitting there wearing a size 12 pissed off because in order to be bikini ready you need to eat kale and apple slices. 

that is the equivalent to someone posting '5'6 120lbs pre pregnancy, I already gained 7lbs I am terrified that I am gaining too much too fast'

You are pregnant, you are growing a human. You will gain weight. It will be fat. Your stomach will look like a deflated whale carcass for a time after delivery. It is life. 
    I disagree, why is it so maddening? Unless the size 12 is jealous of the size 4 for being thin. otherwise why should she care what the size 4 says or thinks. Are you implying that it is better to be a size 4 than a size 12? Note, I am not posting about my own personal weight pre-preg or my weight gain. I'm cool with what I have. I just don't want any woman out there with what feels like a valid concern to her to feel censored by someone else's fat issues. 
    It's not jealously. Typically, when a teeny tiny person is constantly raging about how fat they are they are looking for the 'omg you are not fat, shut the hell up'. The last thing a person who is struggling with their weight wants to hear is someone digging for attention. Like the girl who will post a million #selfies on facebook. All to hear about how pretty they are. 

Maybe I am just sick and tired of weight threads. It's really easy to look up or ask your doctor about what is or isn't appropriate for weight gain according to your body type. Everyone can be concerned but getting worked up because you gained 7lbs in 15 weeks is absurd. 
    But that is just my point. You are saying "typically". But pregnancy is not a typical state for most women, especially ftms. Also, there is lots of conflicting information out there about what is appropriate for weight gain even among different doctors. Even the standard 25-35 pounds gets revised every few years. Add on being hormonal and worried about most things when you are pregnant and you are going to get a lot of people asking questions that may seem absurd to one person but feel very legitimate to someone else regardless of their natural weight. Also, this thread was titled weight gain so if you are sick of seeing this you can simply not read it. But a lot of us, skinny and not are legitimately concerned about weight not for attention seeking reasons but for health reasons(themselves and the baby).
  • Options

according to my OB, at 16wks I'd only gained 5lbs total but my scale from when I first weighed at pregnancy start, says I've gained a total of 13-15lbs.  I exercise, wasn't overeating (and still don't) cause I food journaled to reassure myself for over 3 wks, and eat healthy.  plus, I didn't have MS like last time, and definetely wasn't stuffing my face to feel better. 

take into consideration also what season it is and how hot it is where you live.  all the women I know personally who were pregnant during the summer, retained soooo much water, even though we all drank and peed our brains out.  in AL, we're having our hottest spring/summer in 50yrs!  I'm talking 90+ at 90-100% humidity.  all my friends ended up losing way more than the doc said they'd gain and were told afterwards it was most likely water.

I'm hoping as the weather cools, if some of the weight is water retention, it might dissipate a bit.  until then, I'm going with my OB's number lol

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    I don't even want to know how much weight I've gained since we moved to metro Atlanta, there are SO many great crappy food places here! And I've had biscuits like every day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just checked today at my daughters pedi, I am up 7 lbs at 16 weeks, totally ok with that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    path75path75 member
    I gained 8lbs in 4 weeks supposedly. They weigh me while I am bursting to use the restroom and my appt this time was in the afternoon opposed the morning. I had told my ob I guessed I gained 10lbs my first 10 weeks. So that brings my total to 18lbs already. They mention my weight but don't really make a complete issue yet. However, i am hoping my glucose test goes well. I am afraid I am gaining too quickly and am a little freaked out. It looks like I am beating you ladies on the weight gain so far. But I am not going to stress and just hope it slows down for a couple months. I know in the third trimester there is nothing I can do. 

• Options
    Im 18 weeks, gained 14lbs. Im growing a baby and Im eating nom-nommy food. Im ok with it too :)

imageimageimageimage
    November Siggy Challenge: How I feel in the Third Trimester 
            image   image   image
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've gained 15 lbs so far.  I started at 110 lbs 5'5".  My ob isn't concerned and I do exercise and eat well so I really don't think I can do much about it.
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    I have no idea because I do not look.  This is my 3rd baby - it all comes off afterwards and it stresses me out to worry about it. So, I don't. I eat healthy and it is what it is.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"