January 2013 Moms
Options

Throwing food on the floor

DS has been throwing his food on the floor a lot lately. I've tried everything to get him to stop with no success. Tonight he threw it on the floor after eating just a few bites.  I've tried teaching him to say done, I've popped his hand, told him no, just ignored it. Nothing seems to work. Sometimes he looks at me and grins then throws the food - before I have a chance to get it. Any one else experiencing this? Any ideas?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Throwing food on the floor

• Options
    Yes! Sometimes he does it out of spite. And we have dogs so it's also fun for him to feed them. We are using sign, so I make the sign to eat and say eat. I tell him no throwing. And I ask if he is all done along with the sign for all done. Sometimes he throws when he is done. He is getting better about telling us when he is done instead of throwing. But if we take too long he will grow his food. He still throws sometimes. But be consistent. He is getting better about it. We actually had dinner the other night where he ate and didn't throw anything. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have no advice but we're dealing with this too! Tonight he threw a piece of chicken clear across the kitchen.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At least I know I'm not alone in this. But cleaning up a plate of rice off the floor is no fun.

• Options
    JJsMumJJsMum member
    We are there with you.  Si has been throwing food (and everything else) for months now.  I wish I had an answer for you about how to stop it, but I don't.  It really is just something they have to grow out of.  

I honestly think Si just likes to throw.  If he can get his sticky little mitts on it, it is going to get thrown.  End of story.  Food is just the most annoying thing he throws.  He gets so frustrated too.  He'll take a bite, throw the rest, then after he finishes chewing his bite, he wants more of the food that is now on the floor.  Cue the temper tantrum when I won't give it to him!
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    Yes, I think this must be toddler typical behavior. I only put a little food on his highchair tray at a time. Otherwise he'll eat some and throw some on the floor, repeat. We do not have a dog...I kind of wish we did!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    My comment is probably going to make me sound like hitler mom compared to everyone else's responses... But we have a dog who has a really sensitive stomach so we had to bite throwing food at her in the butt. When he would throw we would tell him that it's not polite, second time repeat that and a stern no, third time same things and getting down from his highchair and taking a break, forth time he was done eating. It really only took him a couple times to learn not to throw. Now he pretends to throw his food and tells us "no nice".
  • Options
    JJsMumJJsMum member
    My comment is probably going to make me sound like hitler mom compared to everyone else's responses... But we have a dog who has a really sensitive stomach so we had to bite throwing food at her in the butt. When he would throw we would tell him that it's not polite, second time repeat that and a stern no, third time same things and getting down from his highchair and taking a break, forth time he was done eating. It really only took him a couple times to learn not to throw. Now he pretends to throw his food and tells us "no nice".
    Oh man, I so wish this would have worked for us!  We've definitely tried this with Si, and it so doesn't phase him in the least :(  Glad you found something that works for you!  
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    I would just take the food away as soon as he starts throwing.
  • Options
    Ugh yes. The problem is that she does it once she decides she is full and I never know when that tipping point is. I don't say too much about it since I don't want to encourage it. The promising thing is that she learned DONE this week and throwing has slowed way down so I'm hopeful that it was mostly a communication fail. :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We taught DD the sign for all done and that greatly reduced the throwing.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"